•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Technical Instrument Corp. 76.2x1000mm

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

After 40 years of research I've learned to 'let it go' about Edmund objectives, who made them.

It will be the first of many questions I have for Norm though, when I see him.

Maybe up there he'll let the secret out, if he himself even knew.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 13 March 2019 - 02:45 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#77 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

Hi Chuck,
Any more updates on this scope?

#78 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

I actually got it fully functional and did a bit of light cosmetic restoration.  One of the tripod steel tips has broken-out and I need to repair that before using it.  I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.  

• Bomber Bob, Kasmos, jragsdale and 1 other like this

#79 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

I got the leg tip repaired and took it out late this afternoon to look at the sun with the Lunt 1.25" wedge.  Not a spot to be seen. 

039.jpg

038.jpg

The leg chain that came with it keeps the legs too close for stability, I used it just for this session and will make a longer one.

036.jpg

Close-up showing graduations on the side of the focuser barrel.

035.jpg

Set up with the stock .965" compression sleeve visual back, stock diagonal and very Swiftish-looking HM25mm eyepiece.  

033.jpg

Looking at a bird in a tree about 50 feet away yielded a nice, crisp image with very little spurious color.  Cell-phone snapshot, zoomed.

034.jpg

Finder and again, a Swiftish bracket.

032.jpg

I can't stay up late tonight due to work early tomorrow, so decided to look for Jupiter in the daylight.  Astro Tech 1.25" dielectric diagonal and old Edmund pre-RKE 28mm Plossl to locate the planet.  A Vixen 1.25" visual back replaces the stock .965" eyepiece holder.

031.jpg

I couldn't see Jupiter while the Sun was above the horizon but once it set, the planet popped right out in my old classic Sans & Streiffe 7x35mm bino.  Once located, it was easy in the Tech. Inst. Co. finder.  A nice, crisp planet greeted me, albeit with reduced contrast from the still bright sky.  I then kept inching the magnification higher, moving through my University Optics Zebra Plossls.  16mm was first but the seeing supported the 8mm easily, for 125X.

029.jpg  030.jpg

The Great Red Spot was easily visible, with a hint of Red Spot Hollow betwen it and the SEB.  Just crisp seeing, I wish it would last and I could stay up!  

Some detail shots of the wonderful geared Alt-Az mount.

027.jpg  026.jpg  025.jpg  

Ready to put away for the night.  The azimuth lock bolt was stolen from an old Bushnell SkyChief EQ mount that I've parted-out.

023.jpg

I'll have more pics of the eyepieces and other kit in coming days, along with the box which is in pretty good shape, itself.  Lots of details that are very Swift-like, it's probably not a stretch to suggest that some parts had a common source.  This OTA, really a Swift 831 optically, combined with the geared Alt-Az mount, make the scope a joy that is super useable with minimal setup and takedown.  Like a Manon on steroids.

I was fortunate to have most of the missing hardware on-hand, or something that at least works and is close enough, and managed to make a passable replacement slow-motion knob.  I still need a fancier finder bracket clamp screw.  With the mechanicals complete, I can continue the cosmetic restoration.  I have already restored the dew cap to new condition, recall it was missing half of it's paint.  The mount is in excellent condition actually and will benefit mostly from a good cleaning, re-lube, and some fine adjustments.

Thanks again for turning me onto this one, JR, what I first thought was a lost cause turned out to be an uncommon, high-quality scope, for a minimal investment.

• Mr Magoo, CharlieB, terraclarke and 10 others like this

#80 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

Looks fantastic! What a unique classic, sounds like it found the perfect home where it can be admired for what it is and with someone that has the know how to spruce it up. Nice work!

#81 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:10 AM

Amazing achievement! Congratulations on a super restoration! Fell in love with your Swift from looking at your great photography. I like the soft sloping contours of the fork mount and seemingly bulletproof build of mechanicals. Great bird image. No false color. Says a lot about optical quality.

#82 Earthbound1

Earthbound1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gordo, Alabama

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:28 AM

Sweet! Thanks for those pictures and descriptions! I just made a chain for the legs and mount you gave me yesterday. Still playing with the length myself! You Rock!!!
  • Chuck Hards likes this

#83 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

Very nice work, a beauty to behold!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics