•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Future NV Setup...

NV
  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 BJS

BJS

Ranger 4

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

Stargazer:

What about ebi,halo, etc?

#77 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Stargazer:

What about ebi,halo, etc?

Minimum specs for Omni VII:

Resolution - 64 lp/mm

S/N - 28

Photocathode Sensitivity - 2200

Halo - .7

EBI - 3

Gain - 50,000 - 80,000

If a Tube is untested but Omni VII contract, it will have at least these minimums.

• stargazer434 likes this

#78 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Funds are dispatched and I expect to have the system John has put together in this forum string, which I have followed closely since inception, in-hand in a couple of weeks. grin.gif

Several factors work together to make NV a good option for me just now. What has held me back has been resolved by the fine system integration work you experts have done via this forum string. So I add my sincere thanks for your work to John's. System integration has been lacking for NV and the resulting confusion seems to me to keep lots of folks from jumping in; certainly did for me. I expect early confusion with the start-up and you'll likely get to field some Q's from me if you will. But the completeness of the package and proven capability may minimize even my confusion.

Here we go!

• moshen, Vondragonnoggin and chemisted like this

#79 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

Welcome aboard, Dick! Be prepared to be gobsmacked. FWIW, you’ll be wanting to do some prime focus observing with the Mod-3 and Ha filter in that Starmaster. Mine easily reaches focus with my Mod-3c and Antares .7x reducer. 

• havasman likes this

#80 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

I was unable to get an image via the GSO mirror diagonal and, with A-T extenders got the proof of concept success by going straight through - A.K.A. the neck breaker.

But I found the APM prism diagonal has enough shorter light path to allow the system to work well, with maybe 5 or 6mm of travel left. Nothing allows the 0.5 FR in the mix. So it's likely going to see a new focuser.

#81 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

I was unable to get an image via the GSO mirror diagonal and, with A-T extenders got the proof of concept success by going straight through - A.K.A. the neck breaker.

But I found the APM prism diagonal has enough shorter light path to allow the system to work well, with maybe 5 or 6mm of travel left. Nothing allows the 0.5 FR in the mix. So it's likely going to see a new focuser.

I use a GSO linear bearing with 120ST stock collar on mine. It’s the 96mm version that fits stock collar. They also have a low profile adapter and 86mm version to fit adapter at ScopeStuff, but shortens scope length quite a bit and would require extensions to use with a diagonal. The stock collar/GSO focuser is just like regular eyepiece use. No configuration besides straight through would allow for .5x focal reducer use where the FR normally goes. The .5x reducer screws on the nosepiece of my NVD and then put in diagonal like regular eyepiece. You can put a filter on the reducer also or screw the filter on the diagonal. It’s not a full .5x reduction. On the nosepiece it gives me .7x actual reduction.

With 2” reducer and 2” short nosepiece I have about 2mm to spare on infinity focus before bottoming out.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 10 June 2019 - 02:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics