•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Control 2 ioptron mount with same pc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vincex256

vincex256

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

Hi all, i have a ioptron CEM60 and recently i have add a small Cem25p. I will try to use the two mount togheter on same pc. Anyone have try this ?

Inviato dal mio SM-G960F utilizzando Tapatalk

#2 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

I am fairly certain that you can use two instances of Astroart 7 (you can test it via the free demo) to do that via the ioptron ASCOM driver. There might be problems with the ioptron Commander interface, however, as I don't know if it can run multiple instances simultaneously.

#3 vincex256

vincex256

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

Hi DuncanM, on wait i have try this: i do a short cut of ioptron commander on desktop e rename the shortcut Ioptron Cem60 and IoptronCem25. Well i launch first and set the com1, it recognize CEM60, next launch second short cut set com2, it recognize CEM25. Seems that, with little delay, i can send direction command to single mount.

Real problem is that Ascom don't recognize different mount. I am on search of workaround.

My goal is reach platesolving of single mount on different object. I use APT for light, APT recognize different camera, CCD and REFLEX, but i don't know how i can control 2 mount.

• silv likes this

#4 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

Hey Vincex,

did you manage to get it going? 

In case you didn't you could try running "2 PCs" on one computer by installing what is

called a virtual machine - for instance with VirtualBox (freeware by Oracle). 

A virtual machine, VM, has its own operating system running and its own programmes installed. 

You should allow the VM only to see the USB-connection to 1 mount - and then always connect that same mount to that same USB port on the computer. So that also the internal COM-assignment never changes, you know? 

That would be the first thing to test after you have installed the basic operating system: dedicating 1 particular USB port only to the new VM. 

The second thing I would investigate is this:

Using a feature called "shared folder" which is visible to both machines:  you can try to configure the imaging setup programme on your VM to save the photos straight in there. That way you wouldn't have to assign too much disk space to the virtual machine; disk space that would be lost to the original host system.

However, some programmes don't like saving their output to such a "network share". So you'd  test that before you put any more time/work into the VM.  If your programmes don't like saving into that "Shared Folder", i.e. they throw an error or the file they save is only 1KB in size and can't be opened - or some other erroneous behaviour - then you'd need to set up a new VM with enough dedicated disk space that it can hold the output of  an imaging night. 

Cheers Silv

Edited by silv, 22 February 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#5 vincex256

vincex256

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

Hi Silv, i have think about VM. I have some doubt. First i need space on hd, next i don't know if i find problem to connect via RDP to the 2 things, real PC and virtual machine.

I have to try this is only way. I think that problem is i have 2 mount with same brand , then same control software.

Edited by vincex256, 22 February 2019 - 04:34 PM.

• silv likes this

#6 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

It might be that you have to have two PCs but you can control the second PC from the first via Chrome Remote Desktop.

#7 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

Hi Vincex,

ah, I see. RDP or VNC or TeamViewer or somesuch software. Okay. Hm. 

The user on the host computer who launches the VM sees the VM on their display. 

When run in window mode and not in full screen mode, the window of the VM is simply part of the screen content which, as a whole, gets transferred via TeamViewer, I would assume. 

Connecting via network directly to the VM and a remote desktop service running on it could be possible, too, of course. It would require you to understand the network setup in the Virtual Box software and in the operating system in the VM. Might not be trivial if you're not used to such networking stuff? 

Relying on the screen content in Window mode could be easier manageable. 

Regarding disk space: I can see how that is easily an issue with 2 imaging setups producing output simultaneously. And the VM requiring 20GB or more just for the operating system and software installations. 

But in this aspect I could think of a little script which automatically moves all images away and only ever leaves the one or two newest image files in place (in case they are still written to and that process needs to finish before files get touched).

Regardless of whether or not the imaging software can make use of the "Shared Folder" feature in VirtualBox - such a script could run on any folder. Moving images from the VM to the "Shared folder" and from there to a connected USB drive. Same with the imaging software on the host computer: the images could be moved automatically and that would save some space. 

2 mount with same brand , then same control software.

Yes. Indeed. That's a challenge :) 

#8 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

You already own that computer, do you? But it's a dedicated observatory computer? 

What specs does it have, CPUs, [currently] free disk space, RAM and operating system? 

#9 vincex256

vincex256

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

Well Silv the problem of writing contemporary images can solve it with a trick, i can save images of DSLR on the SD of the DSLR .... of course I could have an overload in the display. I have to evaluate.

• silv likes this

#10 vincex256

vincex256

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

You already own that computer, do you? But it's a dedicated observatory computer?
What specs does it have, CPUs, [currently] free disk space, RAM and operating system?

I5, 8Giga Ram, 250 M2 SSD.

#11 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

just in case you want to give it a try https://www.oracle.c...ads/index.html 

Good night to Italy from North-Eastern Germany :) 

#12 vincex256

vincex256

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:07 PM

just in case you want to give it a try https://www.oracle.c...ads/index.html

Good night to Italy from North-Eastern Germany :)

Thanks for suggestions.

Now I find myself at a crossroads, try or... change route, using a standalone camera for autoguiding and APT both on the first and on the second mount, saving the photos of the DSLR on the SSD to avoid saturating the data flow.

Clear Sky also to Germany :-)

Edited by vincex256, 22 February 2019 - 05:07 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics