•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help William P-Flat6AII To William GT81 With Limited Edition Focuser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:48 PM

Hey guys

I picked up a really nice William GT81 at an estate auction the other day. It's The version with the limited edition 880, digital focuser. 

So I ordered a Flat6 Version 1 with EOS adapter, I received a P-FLAT6AII instead of the FLAT I. From the looks of things this flattener / reducer is supposed to screw on to the back of the focus tube. Unfortunately I can not remove the 2" compression ring from the tube. It feels like it's permanently attached to the focus tube.

Will these two pieces of equipment work together? If so how do you remove this compression ring, or is it even possible?

I don't want to force something and end up breaking this telescope.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190219_151949 2.jpg
  • IMG_20190219_152017 2.jpg
  • IMG_20190219_152053 2.jpg

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

I'm a little confused about what your asking. i looked at a picture of the P-FLAT6AII and  I'm thinking the flattener should slid into the focusing tube (2" EP opening) and the threaded side needs a t-mount adapter for the Canon.

confused1.gif

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

I'm a little confused about what your asking. i looked at a picture of the P-FLAT6AII and  I'm thinking the flattener should slid into the focusing tube (2" EP opening) and the threaded side needs a t-mount adapter for the Canon.

confused1.gif

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the OP is right -- it screws on to the back end of the focuser.  There's no 2" nosepiece to use to insert it into a 2" eyepiece holder.

For the OP, I'd e-mail WO and ask them.  For all the other versions of their scopes, the 2" eyepiece holder *does* screw off.  Yours looks different.  I haven't seen that special edition focuser before.

Some WO focusers let you screw the 2" EP holder right off.  Some have some tiny set screws along the rim of the 2" EP holder.  I can't see any set screws on yours, and it does look like it is sort of part of the main focus tube.  Email William. 

EDIT:  wait, it looks like (in one of your photos) there is a little set screw along the rim of the 2" EP holder.  Try loosening that. :)

Edited by OldManSky, 19 February 2019 - 05:22 PM.

• CableGuy and scadvice like this

#4 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:28 PM

confused1.gif

That would make sense, though there is no nose to slide into the focus tube. This ff/reducer is designed to screw onto the end of focus tube. Though I can not remove the 2" compression adapter at the end of the focus to to screw it on.

Im pretty sure I just found a nose piece that I can order to attach it the way your suggesting, though I would rather screw it on as designed

#5 Oneliner

Oneliner

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

I've got this same fr/ff with a GT71. The Flat6AII has a M63 thread on the telescope end. If you can't unscrew the 2" eyepiece adapter you need to order a M63 - 2" adapter, WD-DIG2A, https://williamoptic...or-wo-diagonals

• CableGuy likes this

#6 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:36 AM

I've got this same fr/ff with a GT71. The Flat6AII has a M63 thread on the telescope end. If you can't unscrew the 2" eyepiece adapter you need to order a M63 - 2" adapter, WD-DIG2A, https://williamoptic...or-wo-diagonals

thanks for that, yes I found one on highpoint. I think ill be upgrading the focuser on this soon... 

#7 OldManSky

OldManSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

CableGuy, did you try loosening the set screw on the eyepiece holder (it's on the bottom in your photo #2 above), to see if you can then screw off the EP holder?

#8 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

CableGuy, did you try loosening the set screw on the eyepiece holder (it's on the bottom in your photo #2 above), to see if you can then screw off the EP holder?

yes I did, I actually took it out, and the thumb screws too, thorough. The piece must be pressed on to the end of the focus tube, or screwed and locked in place with permanent lock tight.

Edited by CableGuy, 20 February 2019 - 01:31 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

yes I did, I actually took it out, and the thumb screws too, thorough. The piece must be pressed on to the end of the focus tube, or screwed and locked in place with permanent lock tight.

Dang.  I was hoping that would do it.  Sorry :(

#10 scadvice

scadvice

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:17 PM

I have the WO GTF81mm five element and it does not come off on mine. Looking at it with my Optivisor an under high power it is all one piece.

Edited by scadvice, 20 February 2019 - 02:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics