•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguiding a LX90

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Airlid

Airlid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

I have a mead 10 in lx90 ACF that I would like to start autoguiding. I have purchased the Celestron off-axis guider and am in the process purchasing a guide camera for it. I was wondering if anyone else is using this particular telescope and have been successful autoguiding with an off axis guider. So what equipment configuration are you using and what kind of results have you achieved.

Thank you and clear skies

#2 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:45 AM

I have a 8" LX90ACF and I am moving slowly in that direction. I bought a wedge last year and this year I have bought the Astromania 50mm guide scope and guide camera kit. I know the 50mm guide scope may not be adequate for a 2000mm telescope but it fits perfectly in the original 50mm spotting scope mount. I never did a close inspection of the camera and only discovered this week that its standard protective filter has a crack in it so I have ordered a UV/IR cut filter to replace it with and as soon as that arrives I will begin testing. The camera that I am going to use is made by Touptek and has a 1.2M AR0130© 1/3" sensor with a 3.75 um pixel size. I had no problem getting the Avcom and Windows drivers for it.

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 22 February 2019 - 05:49 AM.

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:48 PM

I suggest you go to the astrophotography forum here on CN for detailed information, results, etc.  

However the OAG is the standard accepted methodology to deal with the long focal length. You will want to use a guide camera that has enough sensitivity to pick up guidestars in the field picked off of the SCT. This is often why individuals choose to incorporate a focal reducer, it increases the field of view for possible guide starts as well as reducing the exposure time for imaging.   Because tech has gotten better as each year passes there are newer guide cameras much better suited to use in this manner than just a few years ago.  There still may be certain targets in fields where a guide star is unavailable using an OAG.  You'll find alot of that over on the other forum.

Right now the cutting edge tech is actually an ONAG On Axis Guider that passes the IR wavelength through a mirror for guiding while reflecting the remaining light up to the main camera.  Innovations Foresight is the company that has introduced this new tech.  It's pricey though starting at $850. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics