•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inexpensive Homemade Anti Vibration Pads

equipment accessories tripod
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 quid_non

quid_non

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

Greetings!
Wanted to save some $ and made my own ant-vibration pads.  These work great on my LX200 8" SCT.  Parts were from Walmart or amazon.  The anti-vib pads are heavy duty (for HVAC use): DiversiTech MP2-E E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pad, 2" x 2" x 7/8".  A Pack of 4 was ~$7 shipped. Furniture leg coaster was added to keep the tripod leg from slipping off the pad.  Used a small screw to attach to pad.

Parts:
Vib 1

Assembled:
Vib 2

Final product with mount:
Vib 3

• Illinois, tomwall, jezz and 10 others like this

#2 astro_1

astro_1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Love the shared creativity here on CN! smile.gif

#3 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:57 AM

Would be nice if you could tell us whether or not they work. With and without pads in place. Is there a difference? If so how much?

Edited by HarryRik9, 20 February 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#4 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

I've been using square pads with cork centers for years but I never found it necessary to use the additional furniture cups.  The rubber surface provides ample friction to prevent slipping, even with the bare aluminum swivel feet on my Eagle Pier.

Yes, they make a difference.  Available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.c...arch_asin_title

• Illinois likes this

#5 quid_non

quid_non

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:10 AM

Would be nice if you could tell us whether or not they work. With and without pads in place. Is there a difference? If so how much?

Thanks for the comment Harry!

They seem to damp vibration on my gravel observing site but not sure how to quantitate.  I'm exploring test using a "vibrometer" app on my phone just to answer the challenge.  At issue is determining and appropriate metric - time it takes to dampen the vibration or the absolute magnitude of vibration.  Looking at how this changes with both focus and moving the scope in dec.

Appreciate any thought/suggestions you/others may have 

Best

#6 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

In forty five years of observing I have never used vibration pads with any of my telescopes in particular my vintage Celestron C8. I am not sure that I need them. In my experience with a Tasco refractor the vibration was bad but that was a inexpensive mount. That problem went away when I bought the C8. I do have vibration with my Stellarvue SV110ED since the tube tends to oscillate when focus is adjusted, but I think that is a different issue. The main thing is when you focus, does that cause the scope to vibrate and how long does it take for it to settle down to a steady image.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, accessories, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics