•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filter wheel & filter cleaning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

Don't do this unless you know that there is nothing in your filter wheel that won't survive a good dunking!

If have the IFW3 Optec filter wheel and the wheels are built like tanks. They are heavy & are beautifully designed with nice plastic spacers. When my filters needed a proper clean I used to take them out and clean them individually but I always seemed to drag a bit of debris from the edge of the holder back to filter and you guessed it- you get a smear and have to start cleaning again.

The first thing I did for the new cleaning process was to evaluate the wheel- was there anything that could rust or get damaged by water immersion- any paint to desolve away or glue to vanish or anything else that could be water damaged- answer a big no!

This is what I did. I bought a plastic bowl and half filled it with warm water. Using a few drop of Johnson Baby Shampoo in the water and gently stirred the shampoo (it settles in the bottom of the bowl like jelly otherwise) and made a very lite foam.  I then dunked the entire wheel in the bath and using cotton swabs with my hands in surgical rubber gloves gave the filters a very lite swish around with the pad. This removed the majority of the undesirable dust and other films & left the filters pretty much looking like new. I then rinsed the filter wheel in fresh clean water twice to remove all traces of the shampoo. A final rinse was given to the wheel in de-ionised water to remove all traces of the elements found in tap water. Any drops of water left evaporate very cleanly with no residue after the final rinse.

The other advantage is that the filter wheels for the IFW are effectively cannister changed so you change the whole wheel by inserting into the body of the IFW3 housing through a side flap. This means that the wheel itself can pick up grease and dust and this dunking cleans this as well.

I now have beautiful clean filters and a sparkling wheel that look like new and the whole cleaning process went from 1 hour to 5 minutes.

I said earlier, don't do this unless your filter wheel is built like a tank and you can be sure that everything will dry without damage.

My filters have not been cleaner other than when I first bought them!

It is a shame that you cant dunk your camera in the same way- oh well- give it time!

Edited by pyrasanth, 19 February 2019 - 06:09 PM.

• AIP likes this

#2 AIP

AIP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

Do you have photos of the process?

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:18 PM

Do you have photos of the process?

I'm going to clean a filter wheel tomorrow with the same process- just a couple of narrow band filters in a wheel that is quite dirty. I can capture a picture of each stage to illustrate how this is done.

• AIP likes this

#4 AIP

AIP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:21 PM

I'm going to clean a filter wheel tomorrow with the same process- just a couple of narrow band filters in a wheel that is quite dirty. I can capture a picture of each stage to illustrate how this is done.

It would be a great help. Thanks man!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics