•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

separate mounting of edge-C8 for visual & imaging?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

I'm considering a used CPC-Deluxe Edge8HD for visual observing and outreach. 

Also have a nice imaging rig with a Paramount MyT.

Is it possible (desirable? easy?) to swap these scopes from fork mounts to equatorial in case I want to use the scope for both imaging and visual? 

Related question: what do people think about CPC vs CPC Deluxe vs equatorially-mounted EdgeHD scopes?

Thanks for any advice!

Scott

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:15 PM

I basically want imaging scope stability for visual observing.  I see people here saying "it's great it has only a 3 second damping time" and shudder.  There should be zero damping time.  You should be able to touch the focuser without having the scope jitter.

That said, my personal bias is so heavily in favor of GEMs that it's hard to say anything other than:  Just take it off the fork and leave it on your MyT.  

But the other point is, you own a MyT.  $300 will get you a used c8 from the early 00s and it will be great for visual observing and outreach.  But since you own a MyT we might infer that you don't want mind dropping a dime you could get an EdgeHD for imaging.  

In other words I'm trying to say it's not out of the question to have a c8 for outreach and another one for imaging so you don't have to hassle the mounting/dismounting.    I owned two c8s for a while till I said well this is ridiculous....

Greg N

• Michael Covington likes this

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:58 AM

A good mount setup for the EdgeHD 8" is a DM6 with Avalon T-Pod 110.  It holds steady when switching between eyepieces, and zero vibration.  I am 100% visual.

I leave the 8" extension on so I can also view with longer refractors.

I've gotten rid of my GEMs.  I never really liked them.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 26 February 2019 - 11:00 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics