•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What to binoview?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jhbanister

jhbanister

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North East Texas

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

I ordered a binoviewer on a whim, and it is scheduled to arrive this Friday.  Saturday looks like the first clear night in a while, and I plan to give the binos a first try.  So, two questions:

1. Which scope should I go with, my 12” sct (f8) or my 5” app refractor (f5)?

2.  What targets would be best for a first test?  Mars is a bit low, but I’ll give it a try.  Should I stay with large stuff, such as M31, double cluster, M42, or go with nebulae or other fainter dso’s?  I’d like to try out 4 or 5 good ones.

Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

John

• Procyon likes this

#2 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

I found this article to be helpful. You have the BV soon, do you have any ep pairs?

https://www.cloudyni...noviewing-r3088
  • REC likes this

#3 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

Welcome to CN !

Think BRIGHT for good targets, 

Primary tgts are the moon, planets, and bright neb's (M42 is one of my favorites ! )

Then you want all the aperture you can get up front

The SCT will be too narrow FOV for things like M31 so try the F5 frac.

Don't restrict yourself, try it on both scopes and different tgts to see what you get.  Some might disappoint but some may surprise you !

CS

Bob

• Procyon likes this

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

I've found for DSO's large aperture is better, on brighter DSO's a 12" will work ok, but on galaxies and the fainter stuff, aperture rules.

• Procyon likes this

#5 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

12" SCT. What eyepiece did you get with it? For DSO's you want to use the brightest pair you have for the loss of light you will get. I use a pair of Meade 26mm SP for that.M42 will look almost 3d in it. Check out the open star clusters, M35,36,37, 38 to start. If you stay up later in the week, check out the moon, it will blow you away! Use 1.25" set up, not a 2".

BTW, you will need some kind of barlow to get your 5" to come to focus. You may even have to put it in front of the diagonal!

Enjoy!

• Procyon likes this

#6 aatt

aatt

Surveyor 1

• ***--
  • Loc: CT

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

Try the moon as DSO time is being ruined by Luna. You will be possibly underwhelmed at first and then...M42 might be good depending on when you go out. I would go with your larger scope for the faint stuff since you are cutting your light in half (well sort of half as the brain compensates)

#7 jhbanister

jhbanister

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

What eyepiece did you get with it? For DSO's you want to use the brightest pair you have for the loss of light you will get. I use a pair of Meade 26mm SP for that.M42 will look almost 3d in it. Check out the open star clusters, M35,36,37, 38 to start. If you stay up later in the week, check out the moon, it will blow you away! Use 1.25" set up, not a 2".

BTW, you will need some kind of barlow to get your 5" to come to focus. You may even have to put it in front of the diagonal!

Enjoy!

Thanks to all who replied.  The Bino arrived today.  It’s an Arcturus model with 30 mm eyepieces and 1.85x and 3x Barlow’s.

If the weather forecast holds. I’ll go with the 5” f/5 mainly because we’re expecting poor weather the next day, and the 12” is A lot of trouble so set up for a single night.  I’ll save that scope for another night.

As stated The 5” will not come to focus without the Barlow.  No problem with the sct.  So I’ll be working with an effective 16mm and 10 mm eyepiece views.  That gives about 1.7 and 1.2 degree fields of view.  That should work with the Double Cluster and the part of M31 visible in a 5”.  The Auriga clusters will also be on my list.

#8 rcg

rcg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SE Missouri

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:45 PM

Where did you get the field of view calculations? I got just over 1/2 degree for the 16mm.

#9 jhbanister

jhbanister

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

Where did you get the field of view calculations? I got just over 1/2 degree for the 16mm.

After I posted I realized I used the calculations for 68 tp 70 deg. eyepieces.  Presumably the ones that came with the binoviewer are less than that, but I really don’t know the value.  That being said I compared m37 views between the bino with no Barlow and my 17mm Ethos.  The bino seemed wider.

#10 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:50 AM

After I posted I realized I used the calculations for 68 tp 70 deg. eyepieces.  Presumably the ones that came with the binoviewer are less than that, but I really don’t know the value.  That being said I compared m37 views between the bino with no Barlow and my 17mm Ethos.  The bino seemed wider.

" The bino seemed wider"..

Yeah, ...so welcome to BVing  !  smile.gif

Lots of things seem different than just the numbers would suggest, Field, Intensity, Contrast, Magnification, Detail, Colors, to name a few.  There is much that goes on in our brains when we receive two visual signals instead of one. Perception changes a great deal, one reason many of us are hooked on bino-vision.  For me, it's the driving force that keeps me plugging forward, albeit slowly, on my current project, a 17.5-inch binocular telescope

CS

Bob

Edited by Bob4BVM, 27 February 2019 - 01:54 AM.

• Rustler46 likes this

#11 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

Agengaastro sells William Optics 2x OCS for only $38 and it's much better than the 1.8x.  

#12 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

I ordered a binoviewer on a whim, and it is scheduled to arrive this Friday.  Saturday looks like the first clear night in a while, and I plan to give the binos a first try.  So, two questions:

1. Which scope should I go with, my 12” sct (f8) or my 5” app refractor (f5)?

2.  What targets would be best for a first test?  Mars is a bit low, but I’ll give it a try.  Should I stay with large stuff, such as M31, double cluster, M42, or go with nebulae or other fainter dso’s?  I’d like to try out 4 or 5 good ones.

Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

John

For the smaller 5" refractor stick to the brighter objects since only half the light goes to each eye (dimmer and larger/multiple objects may require wider view single eyepieces).  Moon, Planets, Globular clusters, Open Clusters, Galaxies, Nebulaes, Planetary Nebulaes.

For the smaller 12" SCT stick to smaller objects due to the higher power from the extra length of the binoviewer (since only half the light goes to each eye dimmer and larger/multiple objects may require wider view single eyepieces).  Planets, Globular clusters, Smaller Open Clusters, Galaxies, Smaller Nebulaes, Planetary Nebulaes, Specific lunar craters.

#13 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

12" SCT. What eyepiece did you get with it? For DSO's you want to use the brightest pair you have for the loss of light you will get. I use a pair of Meade 26mm SP for that.M42 will look almost 3d in it. Check out the open star clusters, M35,36,37, 38 to start. If you stay up later in the week, check out the moon, it will blow you away! Use 1.25" set up, not a 2".

Enjoy!

Use 1.25" diagonal/OCS/nosepiece vs. 2" Diagonal/OCS/Nosepiece?  Is this for lower power with Refractor/SCT?

I use 2" OCS with my 17.5 f4.1 Dob (and once with my ST80 f5 refractor finder); but need to us 1.25" with Solarmax 40 and 10.1" f4.5 dob both with only 1.25" focusers.

#14 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

I think it will be better with the refractor and you can observe just about anything with it. You get some magnification with the BVers, so some of the really big objects might be better without the BVer.

#15 CarlDD

CarlDD

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottish more at home in Serbia

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

What to Binoview ?

Sol, our sun these last few days has been a superb target.

Attached photo from Wednesday, I had the same three systems out today.

Best Regards

Carl

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00003.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics