•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Major focuser problem-help please.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:04 AM

Hi, 

I have major problem with focuser on my Skywatcher 16” flex tub  dob. When I was bringing it home last night, I accidentally bombed into the frame of the door. Now is totally loose. I don’t want to take chance trying blindly to fix it and need some guideline to what to do. As of now is unusable. Everything, all screws are tight. Below you’ll find two links to video where I’m trying to demonstrate the problem. Thank you very much to those who would offer help. 

Sincerely, Andrew_G

https://youtu.be/tpVJ86ORzMY

https://youtu.be/in2vYfY63FE

Edited by Andrew_G, 20 February 2019 - 06:13 AM.

#2 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:36 AM

I dare say something is bent. If me, I would start taking it apart looking for something that does not look right. Can’t hurt it much and if I could not fix it I would shop for an upgrade replacement. Good luck, let us know how you deal with it. Pictures will be appreciated.
  • Andrew_G likes this

#3 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:43 AM

I dare say something is bent. If me, I would start taking it apart looking for something that does not look right. Can’t hurt it much and if I could not fix it I would shop for an upgrade replacement. Good luck, let us know how you deal with it. Pictures will be appreciated.

Thank you. That’s the problem. On first/second look everything looks right. Nothing is bend or misplaced.  Yet, not working. This thing is brand new. I was just not familiar with new equipment. Its MASSIVE. Thank you for suggestions. Pictures are not good to describe my problem here. 

Edited by Andrew_G, 20 February 2019 - 06:44 AM.

#4 db2005

db2005

Viking 1

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5 skies.

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:47 AM

The focuser looks somewhat similar to the crayford-style focuser on my ED100. It seems to me like the shaft isn't touching the flat section on the focuser. Something might be tightened too much. You might want to try loosening and readjusting all the allen-screws until you feel considerably friction in the focuser.

• Andrew_G likes this

#5 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:57 AM

The focuser looks somewhat similar to the crayford-style focuser on my ED100. It seems to me like the shaft isn't touching the flat section on the focuser. Something might be tightened too much. You might want to try loosening and readjusting all the allen-screws until you feel considerably friction in the focuser.

Will try and let you know if it helps. Thank you. 

#6 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:18 AM

Nope. Didn’t help. 

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:35 AM

There are instructions somewhere on the net for adjusting these.  

The adjustment for the pinion pressure is a push-pull arrangement so something has to be loosened in order to increase the pressure on the pinion shaft.

If you purchased the scope in the US, I am sure that Kevin LeGore of Skywatcher will make sure you have a working focuser.  

Jon

• Andrew_G likes this

#8 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:45 AM

There are instructions somewhere on the net for adjusting these.  

The adjustment for the pinion pressure is a push-pull arrangement so something has to be loosened in order to increase the pressure on the pinion shaft.

If you purchased the scope in the US, I am sure that Kevin LeGore of Skywatcher will make sure you have a working focuser.  

Jon

Thank you. I’m sure it can’t be to complex/complicated. Just don’t want to jump into this head first

#9 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:20 AM

The tension on the focuser is loose. We have instructions we can send you if you email support@skywatcherusa.com.

This is a fairly easy fix, you just need a metric hex wrench set.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

The tension on the focuser is loose. We have instructions we can send you if you email support@skywatcherusa.com.

This is a fairly easy fix, you just need a metric hex wrench set.

Thank you. I will forward my email with subject “Focuser problem-Andrew”. Thank you for reaching out and trying to help. 

Regards, Andrew

#11 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

Wow! Great job skywatcher support!

Thank you very much to Sky-Watcher company and all who tried to help resolve my problem.

I will post final result here. Will try to fix it in the evening.  Hopefully nothing is broken. 

Much love, Andrew. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#12 Andrew_G

Andrew_G

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:38 AM

Update

i really did a good job! The focuser’s shaft is banded. When you adjust it, it goes from tight-normal-loose-normal as you turn the knob. I will have to take it apart. So for now is still work in progress. Lesson learned:  take eyepiece out of the focuser before taking scope home. : (. 

Edited by Andrew_G, 22 February 2019 - 08:45 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics