•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new sw esprit 100 or second hand TS-Optics Imaging Star 100mm f/5.8,

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 iwols

iwols

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:19 AM

hi all the search and confusion continues,just wondered what any one thought about the above,more confused than ever thanks

well upgrading from ed80,heard great things about the esprit but just wondering what it is like out of the box ,but it is new.....on the other hand the  ts is second hand and is ts a home brand ,??

Edited by iwols, 20 February 2019 - 07:19 AM.

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:27 AM

Tough choice, but TS Imaging Star scopes are good. Chinese of course all just branded.

#3 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:40 AM

I don’t see any advantage to the TS scope. It’s more expensive and has one fewer correcting lens (when using the Esprit 100 flattener) wink.gif

#4 RogeZ

RogeZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

I have the Stellarvue SVQ100 and its an amazing scope. Corrects to full frame with minimal vignetting. To get a better scope you have to get a FSQ106.

#5 tcchittyjr

tcchittyjr

Sputnik

• Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

I have both the Esprit 80ED and the 120ED, and love them both. Great color, and right out of the box better than I was.

TomC

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• Loc: Lynchburg, Virginia

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

Id go with the esprit, you can add a reducer/flattener. The TS optics is a Petzval, I am not sure if a reducer existis for a quadruplet or if it is even possible. Maybe an FSQ reducer can be paired up? If that were the case the Petzval would be very attractive, but for now the Espirit is more modular.

#7 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

Id go with the esprit, you can add a reducer/flattener. The TS optics is a Petzval, I am not sure if a reducer existis for a quadruplet or if it is even possible. Maybe an FSQ reducer can be paired up? If that were the case the Petzval would be very attractive, but for now the Espirit is more modular.

Televue NPR-1073 .8x reducer, recommended by TS for its Petzval.

Mike

#8 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

Id go with the esprit, you can add a reducer/flattener. The TS optics is a Petzval,

I agree with your point, reducing a flattened light cone is tricky. A number of folks, who have been waiting on an SVQ reducer, might have actually been happier with a different (although less turn-key) design.

Technically, though, the TS quad (or SVQ) is not a Petzval. Rather it is a triplet with a single built-in field flattening element. Check out this cool document by Ackerman et al (Pages 28 & 29).

• rockstarbill likes this

#9 roofkid

roofkid

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:05 AM

Personally I have chosen the Esprit 3 years ago and I would choose it again. To me the optical quality of subs is indistinguishable from FSQ106 or Televue SVQ. I know other people may have different opinions there though laugh.gif Just look around for some subs and then you can decide for yourself would be my suggestion.

Obviously the image circle is not as large as the FSQ106 though. So if you choose a medium format camera then things may be looking differently.

Edited by roofkid, 23 February 2019 - 06:06 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics