•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto slewing speed and manual slewing 'slip' on Evolution mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BGazing

BGazing

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:14 AM

Basically two questions, and I am sure they will be laughably silly for those who know this mount inside and out.

I like to limit goto slewing speed through SSPro, but in cold weather I am not that keen on Ipad...and generally HC is often more convenient. But, am I wrong that one can only set manual slewing speed on HC, and not goto slewing speed? I hate it when in the dead still of the night it starts grinding coffee beans.

Second, when I use manual slewing to center object I sometimes get to the point when I center object but it looks like the gears are not tracking, until I recenter it, as if the gears did not catch that one. Is that backlash? If yes, how to identify which axis to sort out?

#2 sg6

sg6

Aurora

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

Under the Scope Setup there appears to be a Max Slew Rate that is either On/Off, and below that there appears to be a slider bar to set/define the Max rate.

Page 13 of the manual refers.

Evo2018

The Max is usually to reduce the noise as the default is Max rate and that means Max noise.

The other sounds like backlash in that the mounts slews past then a short spell is needed to get the gears back into place against each other. Yours may I suppose be a bit "loose", and I have no real idea what to suggest. I have done my HEQ5 and made it all good/acceptable but part of that was simply as the gears would lock up. Getting the position/spacing/backlash was a consequence of that.

Better wait for a better answer to No2.

Edited by sg6, 20 February 2019 - 08:51 AM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#3 BGazing

BGazing

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:52 AM

Under the Scope Setup there appears to be a Max Slew Rate that is either On/Off, and below that there appears to be a slider bar to set/define the Max rate.

Page 13 of the manual refers.

Evo2018

The Max is usually to reduce the noise as the default is Max rate and that means Max noise.

The other sounds like backlash in that the mounts slews past then a short spell is needed to get the gears back into place against each other. Yours may I suppose be a bit "loose", and I have no real idea what to suggest. I have done my HEQ5 and made it all good/acceptable but part of that was simply as the gears would lock up. Getting the spacing/backlash was a consequence of that.

Better wait for a better answer to No2.

Thank you but that was not my question. As I wrote, I was asking for the way to do the same when I am not using Sky Safari, but controlling the telescope only through the hand controller.

#4 skaiser

skaiser

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

To set a Max Rate on the Hand Control:

select MENU

SCOPE SETUP

CUSTOM RATE 9

then AZM Axis  or ALT AXIS

SET RATE

ENABLE

On the hand controller press menu and then go to "scope setup" and then "custom rate 9". You set each axis individually. The value is in degrees per second. I think the default is 4 . You might want to lower it to 1.75 - 2.00 depending of course on personal preference.

2. Your question:Second, when I use manual slewing to center object I sometimes get to the point when I center object but it looks like the gears are not tracking, until I recenter it, as if the gears did not catch that one.

YES Backlash

Adjust by

select MENU

SCOPE SETUP

ANTI-BACKLASH

Alt positive or ALT Negative

and AZM positive or AZM negative

This website explains how to do this.

http://www.nexstarsi...ds/Backlash.htm

good luck

• BGazing and PatrickVt like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics