•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Tech AT80EDT vs. Meade 70mm Quad

astrophotography beginner equipment Meade
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 durak

durak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

Hello All! I am getting back into amateur astronomy after about a decade and I am interested in dabbling in astrophotography. I have settled on purchasing an Orion Atlas EQ-G for my mount but I'm having a hard time deciding on my scope. I have narrowed it down to the AT80EDT and the Meade 70mm astrograph. I have heard a lot of good things about the AT80EDT through my research but the Meade is tempting to me because I would not need to use a reducer/flattener with it.  I plan on photographing with a DSLR for now and will probably upgrade to a dedicated system in the future.

Current prices for each:

AT80EDT- $749 + $150 (reducer) = $900

Meade 70mm Quad- $999

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated! bow.gif

-Austin

#2 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

As impressive as the Mead reports are,  my vote is for aperture.   Take the 80mm and the field flattener and save $100.

#3 durak

durak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:33 PM

As impressive as the Mead reports are,  my vote is for aperture.   Take the 80mm and the field flattener and save $100.

I was sorta leaning the same way but wanted to gauge the response from the folks here! Thanks!

#4 Bumpers

Bumpers

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

One thing to keep in mind about the Meade 70mm is that unlike the WO or SV 70mm scopes, it cannot be used visually (per Meade's description), so I would lean towards the AT unless you have a visual scope as well. 

#5 durak

durak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:56 PM

One thing to keep in mind about the Meade 70mm is that unlike the WO or SV 70mm scopes, it cannot be used visually (per Meade's description), so I would lean towards the AT unless you have a visual scope as well. 

Good point! I do have a 200mm dob and 200mm nexstar for visual! 

#6 Bumpers

Bumpers

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:15 PM

Good point! I do have a 200mm dob and 200mm nexstar for visual! 

I'm also a little hesitant about using a camera to align amount.  Probably not too big of a deal, but it would be something to keep in mind.  With Meade's current sale, their 80mm APO is only $799, so not much more than the AT.  AT comes with diagonal, no case, Meade comes with case, no diagonal (I think, it did when I got mine, but that was a couple of years ago).

#7 durak

durak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:29 PM

I'm also a little hesitant about using a camera to align amount.  Probably not too big of a deal, but it would be something to keep in mind.  With Meade's current sale, their 80mm APO is only $799, so not much more than the AT.  AT comes with diagonal, no case, Meade comes with case, no diagonal (I think, it did when I got mine, but that was a couple of years ago).

Overall, how have you enjoyed your Meade?

Edited by durak, 20 February 2019 - 03:31 PM.

#8 durak

durak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

I just checked and it looks like the Meade comes with both the diagonal AND the case. At least from here https://www.bhphotov...00_80mm_ed.html

Hmmm.............undecided.gif

Edited by durak, 20 February 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#9 Bumpers

Bumpers

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

Overall, how have you enjoyed your Meade?

I really like it.  I spent a lot of time trying to decide what scope to get.  Looked at the various 70-80mm scopes from AT, WO, SV and Orion (didn't really like the ES, probably would have been fine but the large dew shield bugged me).  I think the SV was the best scope, but I couldn't justify the added cost, and they've only gone up in price since then.  Main reasons for buying the Meade: Included case and diagonal, others either had one or the other (it also came with a MRF, which wasn't mentioned anywhere on any sellers' website).  It also cam with rings as opposed to the mounting foot like the Orion and ES.  Only 2 issues I've had are: there is one place on the focuser that feels stiff when racking focus in and out and it can be hard to balance on the short dovetail included.  Other than that, while I'm sure the WO and SV scopes are probably better, I think the Meade was absolutely the best bang for the buck.  I wound up with the scope, 2" diagonal, MRF and I bought a HoTech SCA Flattener and I think it was all under $1200.  If you get one during this sale, you would be out <$1000 (assuming the MRF and diagonal are still included).  The only other thing I can really say to express my thoughts is, as I get to the point where I'm ready to get a larger scope, the Meade 115 APO is at or near the top of my list.

#10 Bumpers

Bumpers

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

Also, you can look at my gallery to see the few images I've taken with the scope.  They're not great, but it should give you an idea of what the scope can do in a beginner's hands

#11 RogeZ

RogeZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

The M70Q is a fantastic AP scope with a great focuser, CAA and covers a full frame sensor. Also F5 vs most 80s are F6. You cant go wrong with 70Q.

#12 durak

durak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

Also, you can look at my gallery to see the few images I've taken with the scope.  They're not great, but it should give you an idea of what the scope can do in a beginner's hands

Thank you so much for all the help.

#13 durak

durak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

The M70Q is a fantastic AP scope with a great focuser, CAA and covers a full frame sensor. Also F5 vs most 80s are F6. You cant go wrong with 70Q.

Pardon my ignorance but what does "CAA" stand for?

#14 RogeZ

RogeZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

No worries.

CAA= camera angle adjuster. Its a Tak term for being able to rotate the camera for framing :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, equipment, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics