•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2019 Enchanted Skies Star Party, October 22-27, Magdalena, New Mexico

clubs imaging star party observing
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JWBriggs

JWBriggs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Magdalena, New Mexico

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:07 PM

Dear Cloudy Nights Folks:

The 2019 Enchanted Skies Star Party will run near Magdalena, New Mexico, October 22-27.  Additional information will appear on the ESSP website, www.enchantedskies.org, as we get closer to the date. 

As in recent years, the event features dark-sky observing in the high-desert environment of Cibola National Forest, as well as lectures and tours of nearby facilities like the Very Large Array radio telescope and the Magdalena Ridge Observatory of New Mexico Tech.  We are also discussing an optional extension to the event after October 27 near the remote village of Pie Town, New Mexico, especially for participants who have traveled a long way to enjoy dark and clear skies.  Details of that additional opportunity will be posted as they develop. 

A recent and especially beautiful article describing astronomy in Magdalena is in the February, 2019, issue of New Mexico's monthly magazine, Municipal Reporter, and is available at this link:

https://nmml.org/wp-...9FebFinal-1.pdf

The astrophotography is by Dr. Robert Q. Fugate of Albuquerque, a pioneer of adaptive optics who was a speaker at the 2018 ESSP, and it was recorded just outside the village of Magdalena.  (The cover shot, with unusual sky glow, was made during heavy smoke from a nearby forest fire, and the Fugate image attached to this post is heavily compressed.)

--John W. Briggs,

Vice President, Magdalena Astronomical Society, Inc.

Attached Thumbnails

• Milky Way from FOAH Obs, Magdalena, NM.jpg

• Steve Harris, Hallzers and Astroman007 like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:09 PM

Wooooow...

What a stunningly gorgeous sky!

What I wouldn't give for a chance to visit the Land of Enchantment...

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:12 PM

And that article (https://nmml.org/wp-...9FebFinal-1.pdf) is filled with more amazing and similar nighttime sky images.

"Especially beautiful" indeed.

#4 JWBriggs

JWBriggs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Magdalena, New Mexico

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:50 PM

Dear Martin,

When you can visit someday, our members will help you have a fun time.  Dr. Fugate's images blow my mind.  His summer Milky Way shot over the mountains south of Magdalena is an honest portrayal of Nature's glory just beyond human perception.  But isn't it sad how most people nowadays don't know anymore how much of the Milky Way's structure is possible to see in good conditions and when people understand how to be fully dark adapted.  Sharing about such things is at the heart of our mission here with ESSP, just like at all dark sky star parties.  We're happy to be drawing a larger group in recent years.

Cheers!

--John W. Briggs,

Magdalena Astronomical Society.

PS:  The other thing to highlight around here is the zodiacal light, including even the whole zodiacal band!  The attached image by Stan Honda, visiting from New York City, is highly compressed from his dramatic original. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Arches above FOAH vertical format.jpg

Edited by JWBriggs, 20 February 2019 - 05:54 PM.

• Astroman007 likes this

#5 Hallzers

Hallzers

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tumbleweed, USA

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

Wow...

I just might have to make a trip from way up North for this one. Going to put it on my calendar. 

I used to live in Magdalena and have good friends there! I used to sneak up to the observatory just for the views. How long have you been in Magdalena, John? I used to live in the house right under the big M with the blue roof. Would love to come back for a visit this fall. I had that dark green jeep with the black top and snorkel on it... which in a town as small as Magdalena you probably saw around at Family Dollar LOL

Hallzers

• elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubs, imaging, star party, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics