•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher EQ6-R vs EQ6-R PRO

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eitannudel

eitannudel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:18 PM

Hello! I can't seem to find any information regarding what is the difference between the pro and non-pro versions of this mount. I found HB photo has the non-pro version for sale now, and the specs match the pro, but not sure if I am missing something. What is the difference??

Thank you!!

#2 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

Belt drives and a handle are the obvious differences plus some other smaller things detailed here: https://www.firstlig...rial-mount.html

I like the AZ-EQ6 better than either as it's a few pounds lighter and has a better altitude adjuster.

• eitannudel likes this

#3 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

EQ6-R and EQ6-R Pro have been used interchangeably for the same mount.  I'm not sure when the confusion started, but the first time I saw it for sale on one of the US retailer's sites, it was listed as the EQ6-R.  The SkyWatcher site lists it as the EQ6-R Pro and there is no EQ6-R model listed.

-Steve

• eitannudel likes this

#4 Eddie_42

Eddie_42

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

the non pro is the older generation.

Controller to mount connection is a DB9 cable in the older, RJ-45 in the PRO

Controller has a USB-B (printer cable) port on the bottom for linking between a computer (can still bypass controller entirely with appropriate cable)

Touch heavier payload capacity on the PRO (44 vs 40lbs)

• eitannudel likes this

#5 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

Anything with “Pro” in the name indicates it’s good for astrophotography.

To be honest all our mounts can be used for that application for the mount part.

The EQ6-R comes in one version only. Some people use Pro in the name while others cut it out. Regardless it is all the same mount.
  • LuntSolar and eitannudel like this

#6 eitannudel

eitannudel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:01 AM

Thank you for your answers. Seems like skyward_eyes and SDTopensied are right. The descriptions between the skywatcher usa and HB photo websites seem identical, its just weird that they don't use the same nomenclature. 

Thank you again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics