•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM60 with StellarMate

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:41 PM

I have StellarMate on the way.  I thought I had prob solved but dealers told me I needed the ioptron cable that is sold separately, this cable is to connect StellarMate to mount. This can be viewed on OPT site.  My question is anyone has or is going to get same setup and were do I plug this cable into.  Is it the r232 plug or hand controller.   Thanks. 

Bec

#2 Hilbily

Hilbily

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

It goes into the RS 232 on the mount. Mine has 2 cables connected together, the one I got from iOptron is connected to a RS 232 converter to USB cable that I picked up at a computer store. If I remember correctly there were a couple of different choices of the chipset that is in the USB converter cable.

• timmbottoni likes this

#3 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:32 PM

I see the RS232-RJ9 cable on the OPT site, but that cable should have come with the CEM60.  Assuming you have that one, then (as Hilbily states) you need a standard Serial-USB adapter cable.  iOptron sells one for $25, but it's no different than the ones you can get on Amazon.  The chipset issue refers to FTDI vs Prolific chipsets and at one time, FTDI was the better choice.  Not sure if there's still much of a difference, but I went with this cable with the FTDI chipset:  http://tinyurl.com/y52sjwbw .  It works great, but it has the same screw posts as the iOptron RS232-RJ9 cable, so you'll want to get one that has nuts on the connector instead of the screw posts.  It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.31.00 PM.png

#4 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the above answers.  This helps,,,thanks again.     But alas another question arises.   If I am using the stellarmate to RS 232 mount cable, were would I plug in my Skysafari as it uses RS 232 also.  Hilbily is this cable you mention 2 connected to what I need?   Any help appreciated by either..

bec

#5 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

From what little I know of Skysafari, it is planetarium software that lets you control your scope.  I'm sure it does more than that, but I've never used it.  My question is, why do you need it?  The Stellarmate you just ordered does all that.

#6 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

From what little I know of Skysafari, it is planetarium software that lets you control your scope.  I'm sure it does more than that, but I've never used it.  My question is, why do you need it?  The Stellarmate you just ordered does all that.

I have downloaded Kstars on my spare computer and have been playing around with it,,,and I much prefer the way skysafari shows the night sky.  I may be missing something on kstars planetarium but really prefer the skysafari.  Once I have the unit next week and setup I may change my mind and use the supplied kstars planetarium.  Thanks for the input

bec

#7 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

The Kstars planetarium "look and feel" is definitely lacking compared to some other options, I'll grant you that!  Given that it's all open source, I suspect the development priorities lean more toward the ekos imaging functions. 

Skysafari will work in conjunctions with your Stellarmate (check out Ranger Tim's thread https://www.cloudyni...orphan-no-more/ - he runs Skysafari with Stellarmate).  I don't think you need any additional cables.  SF should be able to be configured to recognized Stellarmate or vice versa over the USB-Serial cable to the mount.

• Hilbily likes this

#8 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the above answers.  This helps,,,thanks again.     But alas another question arises.   If I am using the stellarmate to RS 232 mount cable, were would I plug in my Skysafari as it uses RS 232 also.  Hilbily is this cable you mention 2 connected to what I need?   Any help appreciated by either..

bec

I have an iOptron iEQ45 and a StellarMate (its actually a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with StellarMate OS on it - but we can call it a StellarMate because its the same thing in end)

The USB to RS232 cable goes from StellarMate to the mount and it can be the only one.  I don't think you can connect the SkySafari RS232 connector (am guessing you have a BlueTooth or WiFi connector to the mount).

Sorry about that, but if you want to, you can connect your SkySafari running on a mobile device to the StellarMate and while it's a bit tricky (there is a help video to do this setup) it can be connected either via WiFi or Bluetooth.  I tried it, and got this to work but its a duplication of mount control in the sense that both SkySafari and KStars can each be used to point the mount at an object now.  And of course, your Hand Controller is yet the third way to tell the mount to point to something.  

Yet, I would agree, SkySafari Pro 6 is a much nicer interface than KStars and it can be run easily on a mobile device.   

There are so many options available with StellarMate.  Almost too many!

• Hilbily likes this

#9 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

Hello All

thank you for your responses,,,which help,,,,great forum...…

I decided to send an email to the stellarmae customer service  (Jasem Mutlaq Ikarus technologies),,,,and I received a response in approx. 2 hrs,,,,very good service.  Here is what Stellarmate (Jasem) had to say regarding my question,,,,

Regarding iOptron cable, you assumed correctly. The 4P4C RJ9 plug goes into the HC while the USB end goes into StellarMate.

Regarding SkySafari, no need to plug into anything as StellarMate also acts as the WiFi here. Just follow the instructions and make sure you have the SkySafari driver selected in your equipment profile. Then once you connect from SkySafari on your iPad/Android, you're good to go. Now your tablet/phone needs to be connected to StellarMate (over WiFi or Hotspot) for this to work

So if anyone else was wondering about connection tada.  hope it helps

bec

• timmbottoni likes this

#10 Hilbily

Hilbily

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:41 AM

That’s very interesting that StellarMate says to connect to the iOptron hand controller, maybe it works both ways?

I’ve always connected from the Pi usb to the RS232 port on the mount thru the two joined cables and WiFi connect the iPad with SkySafari to the Pi.

Ive used the same usb/RS232 joined cables and connected to the mount RS232 port when using a laptop without the Pi.

• sbradley07 likes this

#11 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Apollo

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:14 AM

There is a web page that describes the connection settings for both Stellarmate/Pi and the SkySafari Plus/Pro app. Keep in mind that only the Plus/Pro versions of the app will have telescope control. There are some good reasons for wanting the tablet or phone versions to use SkySafari for mount control, as the KStars app on a small screen is not very user friendly for   big fingers. The Android version of KStars Lite might be another matter -- I have no experience with it.

What would be the advantage of using the SkySafari (SS) dedicated wireless dongle versus the Stellarmate interface? Both simply control the mount pointing, correct? The SS driver in Ekos works well for my Mac but I have not begun to work through the tablet/phone/Stellarmate/Ekos set up yet. I have not been successful in casual first attempts with my iPhone but that is typical for me. I don't have much ability to get things that work with 1's and 0's working without investing some time beating myself up with it. I am such a 20th century relic!

I don't know why but when I tried my earlier versions of SS Pro (2-5) they did not connect. This may have been a settings problem. I didn't waste time trying to understand why since my SS 6 Pro works fine. It takes about 5-10 seconds to connect which is slower than normal, but afterward it operates normally.

I like to use SS for planetarium software mainly because I have all of my observing and target lists on it. It is set up with field of view boxes that outline the coverage of my various scope and camera configurations. This makes movement for image composition simple. I use the plate solver in Ekos to synch the scope position with SS, then make adjustments based on what I see in SS. I lust after a camera rotator now -- as if I don't have enough things I covet for this stupid hobby!

• Hilbily likes this

#12 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:56 PM

That’s very interesting that StellarMate says to connect to the iOptron hand controller, maybe it works both ways?

I’ve always connected from the Pi usb to the RS232 port on the mount thru the two joined cables and WiFi connect the iPad with SkySafari to the Pi.

Ive used the same usb/RS232 joined cables and connected to the mount RS232 port when using a laptop without the Pi.

Hello Hilbily,,,,just wondering what you mean by two joined cables??  is this a setup hooked together.  After talking with Stellarmate it clarified for me that I don't need to plug Skysafari into anything, and also how to hook up mount.   So it appears that I end up not using my RS 232 port on the CEM60.  I will prob find something to plug into it though.

bec

#13 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

There is a web page that describes the connection settings for both Stellarmate/Pi and the SkySafari Plus/Pro app. Keep in mind that only the Plus/Pro versions of the app will have telescope control. There are some good reasons for wanting the tablet or phone versions to use SkySafari for mount control, as the KStars app on a small screen is not very user friendly for   big fingers. The Android version of KStars Lite might be another matter -- I have no experience with it.

What would be the advantage of using the SkySafari (SS) dedicated wireless dongle versus the Stellarmate interface? Both simply control the mount pointing, correct? The SS driver in Ekos works well for my Mac but I have not begun to work through the tablet/phone/Stellarmate/Ekos set up yet. I have not been successful in casual first attempts with my iPhone but that is typical for me. I don't have much ability to get things that work with 1's and 0's working without investing some time beating myself up with it. I am such a 20th century relic!

I don't know why but when I tried my earlier versions of SS Pro (2-5) they did not connect. This may have been a settings problem. I didn't waste time trying to understand why since my SS 6 Pro works fine. It takes about 5-10 seconds to connect which is slower than normal, but afterward it operates normally.

I like to use SS for planetarium software mainly because I have all of my observing and target lists on it. It is set up with field of view boxes that outline the coverage of my various scope and camera configurations. This makes movement for image composition simple. I use the plate solver in Ekos to synch the scope position with SS, then make adjustments based on what I see in SS. I lust after a camera rotator now -- as if I don't have enough things I covet for this stupid hobby!

Thanks for your input.  Very helpful.  I also just like the view of the night sky it presents, and found it very easy to navigate.

bec

#14 Hilbily

Hilbily

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:15 AM

Hello bec,

The two cables connected together are: the one supplied with the mount, and the serial to usb converter I bought at a local computer store.

I use the same two cables  for three different things: to update the firmware in the mount and hand controller, plugged into the rs232 port on the mount and the usb plugged into either the Pi or my laptop to control the mount.

Here’s a couple links I used to figure it out a couple years ago when my mount was new.

http://www.ioptron.u...arFi_Manual.pdf

http://www.ioptron.c...M5_20151218.pdf

#15 tkottary

tkottary

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:33 AM

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B076PLCTXZ/

Just use this , single cable from mount to stellarmate

#16 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:05 AM

Hello bec,

The two cables connected together are: the one supplied with the mount, and the serial to usb converter I bought at a local computer store.

I use the same two cables  for three different things: to update the firmware in the mount and hand controller, plugged into the rs232 port on the mount and the usb plugged into either the Pi or my laptop to control the mount.

Here’s a couple links I used to figure it out a couple years ago when my mount was new.

http://www.ioptron.u...arFi_Manual.pdf

http://www.ioptron.c...M5_20151218.pdf

Thanks for the info.  

bec

#17 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B076PLCTXZ/

Just use this , single cable from mount to stellarmate

That is the cable recommended for the ioptron setup.  I have one coming with the stellarmate.  As informed from stellarmate that cable will go from the stellarmate to the HC on ioptron mount.  And thank you for the info, as dealers were unsure about cable.

bec

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics