•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EAA camera for 8"SCT visual only on a budget.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 astro42

astro42

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:04 PM

Hello,

Looking for a EAA camera for my 8"SCT.

I'm looking for a camera for visual only.

My budget is $300-$400 max.

What would you recommend.

Thank you.

#2 diceless

diceless

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:21 AM

Any camera using a sony imx224 or imx385 sensor. Zwo asi is a popular choice but also look at RisingTech as they have a usb 2 cam we with the imx224 sensor for $165 usd. You will also benefit from using a focal reducer in the setup.

#3 mikenoname

mikenoname

Ranger 4

• Loc: Death Valley

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:34 AM

Does 'visual only' mean you don't want to use a laptop? If so, consider an analog camera like the Revolution Imager which is a complete kit that comes with its own screen.

Here is a thread that you will find useful:

https://www.cloudyni...cost-eaa-setup/

Edited by mikenoname, 21 February 2019 - 01:36 AM.

#4 astro42

astro42

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:49 AM

Does 'visual only' mean you don't want to use a laptop? If so, consider an analog camera like the Revolution Imager which is a complete kit that comes with its own screen.

Yes I want to use a laptop for visual.

#5 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

I read it clearly that he wants to do visual only and not astrophotography and nothing to do with a laptop or screen.

Steve

#6 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:53 PM

The ZWO224 is a fine small chip camera. I'd look for a used Meade FR3.3 (I have one) for use with the C8 in the classified. A FR6.3 or one of the inexpensive .5 reducers can work, but IMHO the FR3.3 and 224 is a great combination. I actually have the FR6.3, 3.3 and a .5 and use them all (the FR6.3 is a great tool for DSLR cameras). The FR6.3 and 3.3 are both reducers and flatteners which make a standard C8 better for EAA/Imaging.

For very short, but very many exposures EAA wise on very small galaxies the C8 without reducer with the 224 gives good image scale. 

• davidparks likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics