•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solarmax II Doublestack.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

Just got it today! Have had a 40mm single for years. Any body have any advice to help me get the most out of it? And I understand in some instances better views can be obtained by removing the front etalon. Is that correct? And if so how is it removed?

#2 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:58 AM

Which Solarmax II? 60mm or 90mm??? I purchased a 90mm SMII DS and I was not satisfied with it at all until just a couple of days ago when I had a Eureka moment!!! I was about to call Meade and let them have a piece of my mind. I had spoken to them before and also to the place where I purchased it and everyone assured me that nothing was wrong with the scope. However, in side by side comparisons, my friends 60mm DS Lunt was clearly outperforming it. When I turned the lever to adjust the internal etalon, it seemed that I just did not have enough travel. As soon as it reached full travel the image was appearing to be getting better. Two days ago I realized that the lever can be removed and inserted into another hole. This gave me some more travel and WHAM!!! Great solar images!!! It was very frustrating because this information is not mentioned in the manual. Anyways, that was just one day. I will continue to play with it but almost three months later I seem to have figured out the scope.

#3 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:51 AM

Which Solarmax II? 60mm or 90mm??? I purchased a 90mm SMII DS and I was not satisfied with it at all until just a couple of days ago when I had a Eureka moment!!! I was about to call Meade and let them have a piece of my mind. I had spoken to them before and also to the place where I purchased it and everyone assured me that nothing was wrong with the scope. However, in side by side comparisons, my friends 60mm DS Lunt was clearly outperforming it. When I turned the lever to adjust the internal etalon, it seemed that I just did not have enough travel. As soon as it reached full travel the image was appearing to be getting better. Two days ago I realized that the lever can be removed and inserted into another hole. This gave me some more travel and WHAM!!! Great solar images!!! It was very frustrating because this information is not mentioned in the manual. Anyways, that was just one day. I will continue to play with it but almost three months later I seem to have figured out the scope.

60mm. I read the thread where you said you found the solution. Will remember it when I get clear skys to try mine. And I agree. The manual is a Joke.

• crazyqban likes this

#4 Dagobert

Dagobert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:23 PM

60mm. I read the thread where you said you found the solution. Will remember it when I get clear skys to try mine. And I agree. The manual is a Joke.

Manual?  What is this word "manual" you speak of?lol.gif

• Tim Gilliland likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics