•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES ED127CF Dew Shield Won't Stay Put

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:30 PM

I am the proud owner of an Explore Scientific ED127 Carbon Fiber. I have yet to expose it to the sky because of the 2 month long cloud convention here in the South. But I have a question regarding the dew shield.

When I point the scope near zenith, within about 10°, the dew shield slips down in to the retracted position. Has anyone else run across this minor shortcoming? And what have you done (or can be done) to snug it to the carbon fiber tube?

TIA and CS!

(Hey Sky! The C stands for CLEAR, not cloudy!)

• ghostboo likes this

#2 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:41 PM

I have this problem with my slick WO ZS110. A medium size rubber band behind the dew shield does the trick. I tuck it under so it doesn't look tacky. David

• Redbetter and Dynan like this

#3 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Viking 1

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:04 PM

mine 102 is the same 

they use a stupid system of a felt band on the outside of the lens assembly - as it wears it then allows the dew shield to slip 

for the price of a screw and a bit of thought its the worst bit of my 102 FCD100

I wrapped the dew strap round the back and held it in place :) 

trying to get the rear of the dew shield off seems to be a need to remove the primary off the tube - too much effort :) 

I had a idea to drill and tap it - then gave up!

• Dynan likes this

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

I have this problem with my slick WO ZS110. A medium size rubber band behind the dew shield does the trick. I tuck it under so it doesn't look tacky. David

I do the same thing with the Orion 110ED that seems to have the same focal length and many/most of the same mechanicals.  I tend to use the heavier blue rubber bands from asparagus bundles and wrap around the single (inadequate) set screw on one side. 

The single screw is insufficient to hold the dew shield in place.  The previous owner used a small lead bird shot under it to give better traction, but that slipped out after going in and out of the case a dozen times.   I have not looked at it closely recently, but tapping spots for one or preferably two holes for the same set screws 120 deg. apart would likely hold it in place and centered so that it didn't skew into the light cone.

• Dynan likes this

#5 rustynpp

rustynpp

Apollo

• Loc: NYC

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

On my ZS103 I've noticed that certain dew shield orientations hold better than others. Perhaps if you rotate the shield around the tube you can find a spot where it's a bit tighter.

• Dynan likes this

#6 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:58 PM

Perhaps if you rotate the shield around the tube you can find a spot where it's a bit tighter.

Tried that, but doesn't want to cooperate.

Since I've NEVER had the opportunity to image without a dew heater here in the South, I suppose that is the best solution. The rubber band seems like a good idea for travel/storing.

But you'd think for a $1700 scope, they'd have put some ingenious employee to work on the shortcoming.

Thanks Folks!

#7 ghostboo

ghostboo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ocean Springs, MS

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:34 AM

I have the 80mm version. I use either my dew heater strap or a rubber band. Just up the road from you. You aren't kidding about the clouds! 

• Dynan likes this

#8 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:41 AM

I have the 80mm version. I use either my dew heater strap or a rubber band. Just up the road from you. You aren't kidding about the clouds! 

I do my imaging at a friend's farm near Foxworth/Columbia MS. About a bortle 3-4.

• ghostboo likes this

#9 StPeter

StPeter

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maine

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

I have not had that issue with my ES ED127CF and I use car wax on the tube two or three times a year!

#10 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Sputnik

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:37 PM

I also have an ED80 and I didn’t even know this was a thing. Mine stays in place just fine, but now I know what to do if that changes!

However, like many ED80 owners, I did have to get mounting rings after the bolt holding the stock dovetail bar came loose. They really need to address that... 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics