•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG5-GT Preventative Maintenance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GSqwid

GSqwid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:09 PM

Hello!

Not sure if this should go here or in the beginner forum, hopefully this is OK!

Recently acquired a CG5-GT Advanced mount from an estate sale.  Price was good and it seems to run well (a smooth and consistent coffee grinder sound).  That said, it had been sitting idle for several years.  It was in a climate controlled office, but I'm wondering if there is any kind of lubrication or other basic preventative maintenance needed on a mount like this?  It looks like spares are rare at best for this mount, so I'd like to do what I can to prolong its life.

Most of my searches end up in discussions hypertuning.  At least for now, I'm not in need of anything quite that advanced.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

#2 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

Perhaps you can get some ideas from this project of mine, and when I had tuned(not hyper-tuned) my CG-4(EQ-3)...

https://www.cloudyni...-cg-4-unveiled/

Don't forget the Super Lube...

Super Lube2.jpg

When you are ready to hyper-tune it, if ever...

https://www.deepspac..._4227_8641.html

...although I use bronze when I hyper-tune, as bronze oft outlasts the equipment into which it's placed.

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Soyuz

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

...it seems to run well (a smooth and consistent coffee grinder sound).

Based on this, my suggestion is to just enjoy it.

These mounts are pretty reliable, and unless it has problems in some way, I would not do anything to it.  I certainly wouldn't take it apart unless I was trying to fix some specific problem.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

Hello!

Recently acquired a CG5-GT Advanced mount from an estate sale.  Price was good and it seems to run well (a smooth and consistent coffee grinder sound).  That said, it had been sitting idle for several years.  It was in a climate controlled office, but I'm wondering if there is any kind of lubrication or other basic preventative maintenance needed on a mount like this?  It looks like spares are rare at best for this mount, so I'd like to do what I can to prolong its life.

Most of my searches end up in discussions hypertuning.  At least for now, I'm not in need of anything quite that advanced.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I never did a thing to mine in the nearly 10 years I owned it. Lubrication is unlikely to be needed unless the mount has been stored in adverse conditions. Even than a light coating is all that is needed. 

Best bet? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

• terraclarke and calypsob like this

#5 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• Loc: Lynchburg, Virginia

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hello!

if its been in an office dont mess with it. If using for AP, see how it performs after a few phd sessions. For visual just be sure to get a polar scope and follow the manual closely for making a good reference of each side of the meridian, or get one of those fancy star sense contraptions.

#6 GSqwid

GSqwid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback!  Sounds like unless it starts acting up, or my needs require improved accuracy, I'm best just keeping it as is.  I had a feeling that would be the answer, but I feel better getting some opinions from those with more experience.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics