•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How much is this Atlas mount setup worth?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter
  • Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

Atlas non goto 2003 model mount with dual axis drives, 2x-8x-16x four button hand controller.  Cosmetically near perfect.  The setup includes two 10,000 tic JMI encoders, cable, and Sky Commander  XP4 DSC.   Also includes two 11 pound counterweights.  Tripod and spreader, and pier top plate.  Everything works same as new.

What's it worth in $?  Cannot find any recent sales.

#2 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

I would try to find a buyer that is local, because if the new buyer needs a part in the future Orion will only sell parts to the original buyer, and you could order it for him.

Its a bad policy, and can lower the resale value, but its not widely known yet. all though there have been a few posts on CN so far.

• Wildetelescope likes this

#3 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:43 PM

The exact same parts fit Skywatcher EQ-6 non goto.

#4 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

I can confirm that. They do not hide it. The first line of the warranty explanation spells it out clearly.....”Orion products are covered by a limited, non-transferable warranty. “
However, I get from a reliable source that replacement parts for a Skywarcher are available for purchase and are interchangeable.

Edited by Spoonsize, 21 February 2019 - 02:57 AM.

#5 houndsbourgh

houndsbourgh

Sputnik

• Loc: Hailey, Idaho

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

I agree with Astro-Master. Be sure to take into account that your ability to purchase parts from Orion is zero. All future parts sales are limited by the warranty. No exceptions. So in my opinon Orion products are worth about 50% the day after purchase. Big question is what is it worth to you? Don't get me wrong I like the Atlas mount. I own one. But anything needed to keep the mount up and running requires some creative thinking. And that can be a real drag for some.

#6 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:20 AM

The only difference between the Orion and SkyWatcher versions of the mount is the color. SkyWatcher will sell you the parts, so that should not be an issue.

Things like bearings and stepper motors are off the shelf components and redily available.

Most decent used equipment is usually worth around 50% of it's original purchase price.

#7 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

I bought the Atlas mount new in Oct 2003 for $800.  I put 10,000 tic encoders and a XP4 Sky commander on it, so maybe it's worth $550 to $600 all up?

Am I close?

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 21 February 2019 - 09:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics