•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zhumell and domain warfare?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

I see Zhumells are for sale on Amazon and they are maintaining a web site at Zhumell.com.  They are also moving product through telescopesplus.com.

What causes a one raised eyebrow ^ is that the former Zhumell domain telescopes.com (in the plural), which used to be really maddening because it was so close to Orion's telescope.com, now points to Orion.  In other words regardless of whether you type telescopes.com or telescope.com you end up on Orion.

I'm wondering how Orion scooped up the domain name or if Zhumell was reorganizing and slipped up, or if there was a fight over the domain name.  In other words, if there is a story there.

regards

Greg N 

• Astroman007 and agmoonsolns like this

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:07 PM

They bought it from them a few years ago. They then moved to telescopesplus.com. I guess that Orion just gave them enough money.

• gnowellsct likes this

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:54 PM

They bought it from them a few years ago. They then moved to telescopesplus.com. I guess that Orion just gave them enough money.

That's distressingly simple.  I wanted a cool story of lust, greed, and power.    But it seems to me Zhumell went through some kind of re-org a few years ago.  There were a lot of people saying they were out of the market.  And you don't see nearly as many references to them now.  GN

• agmoonsolns likes this

#4 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:35 AM

Have a look at this press release from September 2016.

I agree: it would have been far more interesting to hear a story filled with intrigue and cunning guile.

#5 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:51 AM

I hadn't known that Zhumell was even still around.

I have wanted the 25x100 Tachyons since May of 2011 or thereabouts, ever since reading Phil Harrington's review in Astronomy magazine.

But it wasn't too long after that that I heard of Zhumell having problems.

What is Zhumell anyway? A manufacturer in part? Or simply a glorified importer?

#6 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:54 AM

I see Zhumells are for sale on Amazon and they are maintaining a web site at Zhumell.com.  They are also moving product through telescopesplus.com.

What causes a one raised eyebrow ^ is that the former Zhumell domain telescopes.com (in the plural), which used to be really maddening because it was so close to Orion's telescope.com, now points to Orion.  In other words regardless of whether you type telescopes.com or telescope.com you end up on Orion.

I'm wondering how Orion scooped up the domain name or if Zhumell was reorganizing and slipped up, or if there was a fight over the domain name.  In other words, if there is a story there.

regards

Greg N 

I am as intrigued as you are, OP.

#7 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

Have a look at this press release from September 2016.

I agree: it would have been far more interesting to hear a story filled with intrigue and cunning guile.

Huh. Interesting. They may have moved in at a vulnerable moment for Zhumell?

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:06 AM

In China it's very difficult to find out. Brokers list themselves as companies and then get a real manufacturer to play along so they both get the contract. You may buy into a manufacturer thinking you'll get control only to find that you don't. A large number of brand names are pure importer labels. Most of them, I suspect.

I would think this is true of Synta too but the quality improvements at celestron and skywatcher make me think there really is some taiwanese control.
  • Astroman007 and Earthbound1 like this

#9 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

Zhumell is GSO's brand name for equipment they sell directly, instead of manufacture for some other company to sell under their brand name.

• Astroman007 and Earthbound1 like this

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

Zhumell is GSO's brand name for equipment they sell directly, instead of manufacture for some other company to sell under their brand name.

I thought Zhumell was Hayneedle brand. 

Looking at the Zhumell webpage, I see a lot of GSO products that are missing, the R-Cs, the imaging Newtonians. the eyepieces, for example.  And I also see a lot of products I do not associate with GSO, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, for example.   

https://zhumell.com/

Jon

• Astroman007 likes this

#11 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

I thought Zhumell was Hayneedle brand. 

Looking at the Zhumell webpage, I see a lot of GSO products that are missing, the R-Cs, the imaging Newtonians. the eyepieces, for example.  And I also see a lot of products I do not associate with GSO, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, for example.   

https://zhumell.com/

Jon

Huh, they don't even list their prices.

What web page developer would expect such a site to be helpful?

#12 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

Huh, they don't even list their prices.

What web page developer would expect such a site to be helpful?

Well, Zhumell scopes are listed on Amazon.  And they come up at Highpoint Scientific which is odd because you'd think they'd sell Apertura.  Anyhow my 2c is Zhumell is associated with some other production line (GSO works for me).  

In the cosmetics industry, on which I am now an expert (having read one book), you can develop a line for distribution, contact the American retailers, then go to China, get a contract, they start making the stuff....

...then they show off their fully functional factory to some other prospective distributor and engage separate contracts out of the same factory, often times undercutting their client #1.  Client #1 may at this point be squeezed with price increase because the factory now has a relationship with Client #2.  This often happens just before the shipment of a large order.  That is, you, the U.S. retailer,  put in a large order because you have had a hallelujah moment of success and gotten several contracts.  The China manufacturer knows you will be dumped by these outlets if you don't deliver the large quantities of inventory you have promised.  So this is when they squeeze, with a price hike, for example.  If you don't want the inventory they can move it through someone else.

Under these conditions, you can see how someone like Zhumell might be doing OK one moment and then sinking the next.  Whether Zhumell is coming back is hard to say.  The China manufacturers don't want to bankrupt you but they are constantly pushing to see just how much you will cough up.  And the China factory might be keeping Zhumell afloat just enough to pose a threat to other distributors.  

Greg N

• Astroman007 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics