•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ordering a new cam and laptop

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:41 AM

I am all move in to a nice place and we closed on the nightmare house of never ending cleaning today. I was being mor focused on my aviation hobbies then planetary imaging. for some unexpected feeling i decided to call my friend Dave at hpscientific. I forgot to mention this but last year aside from catapulting my laptop i also catapulted my asi 224 shattering the ar window. it still works fine but after my worst jupiter ever shot i decided its time to get a fresh new CLEAN cam . ddave explained to me all the calculations to find what cam works best for my system and how power mates dont change anything when moved in or out and that a 2.5 powermate with an asi 290 would be best for my fl so Friday morning i will order an asi 290 mc new cable and new usb3 extension so I wont have to do like that idiot said and dangle from a lader or wory about catapulting my new laptop. I was wondering what kind of laptop to get I would like lit keys and a 17 " screen would be nice.but plenty of storage is morer importanter so i dont have to worry about  getting more external drives although a simple 17" with 1 t storage hp laptop at a cheap price and just get another when it gets full doesnt sound bad at all.

I have a fenced in back yard wit 3 dogs now although 2 are a hot dog and wee cheewowa butthey bark lol i will be set up and imaging within 11 week im taking a months vacation now that everything is over with 

I told dave zwo needs to think about people who do still actually use log newts for imaging and just ake a longer cable option

• gfstallin, Lacaille and wavydavy like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

Ferret, we're running at around 7000mm f/l atm on Jove so your 16" (400mm) at f7 - if that is its f/ratio - will give you 7000mm also at 2.5 with that P/mate.

This is f17.5 which is a bit above that "5x rule of thumb" value of f14.5 because the ASI290MM & MC cameras have 2.9uM pixels in their sensors. (2.9x5=14.5)

Personally I wouldn't worry about this "over-sampling" tbh..your skies appear to be well capable of handling such on decent nights! wink.gif

However, just be aware that this P/mate's amplification drops to around 2.25x when there is an 80mm spacing from it's back-end to the camera sensor...the ADC will take up most of this so expect something around 2.3x as the P/mate's amplification/magnification which gives you an f/l of about 6640mm or f16 which is getting closer to the "5x" adage - which should be jake! wink.gif waytogo.gif   http://www.televue.c...?id=53&Tab=_app

• RedLionNJ, gfstallin, moonwatching ferret and 1 other like this

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:44 AM

Ferret, glad to hear you are getting set up in the new place.  In line with what Darryl said above, I've commented in some other threads recently that the old "5x pixel adage" relies on several assumption (all valid ones btw), that can very easily be reinterpreted to arrive an equally valid "6x rule" if conditions are very good.  Incidentally, 6x for a 2.9um pixel yields f/17.4, which is basically exactly what you are getting with your setup (before taking into account Darryl's other salient point about the power of the 2.5x Powermate going down with distance.  

I'm actually considering getting a 2.5x Powermate this year precisely because of the decreasing power with distance.  Last year I was using my tried and true Televue 2x barlow, yet with my ADC in place, I was measuring closer to f/30 with my ASI224 (which was not doing me any favors), and I want to be much closer to f/20.  So despite the 2.5x Powermate appearing to have more magnification than the 2x barlow, once I get everything into place, it will actually produce a shorter focal ratio.  

• moonwatching ferret likes this

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:51 AM

Gee, a salesperson "up-sold" you on more gear. What a surprise.

Personally, I think where you were with equipment was producing excellent results. I think a 2.5x Powermate (even if it only produces 2.2x, say) is an unnecessary mistake with a f/7 scope and an ASI290MC. I'd be trying for the "no more than 5x" rule. You're rarely going to get conditions good enough to make the most of even a FL of 5 x 2.9 = 14.5.   A regular old 2x would do you just fine (provided you actually get around 2x, perhaps a little less) out of it.

Glad to hear you're settling in and "back in the game", though. Best wishes for some great outcomes!

• moonwatching ferret and wavydavy like this

#5 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

well i wanted a new cam being i tormented my old one and i was thinking if theres a 1.5 powermate or in between the 2.5 and lower just get that lol and use both. i wonder if i can send in the 224 to have it cleaned and checked out and also get a new ar window. now that the mount is apart i can throw the setting circles on there propper shafts ie clock on ra it was on the dec

#6 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

well i wanted a new cam being i tormented my old one and i was thinking if theres a 1.5 powermate or in between the 2.5 and lower just get that lol and use both. i wonder if i can send in the 224 to have it cleaned and checked out and also get a new ar window. now that the mount is apart i can throw the setting circles on there propper shafts ie clock on ra it was on the dec

A replacement AR window for the ASI224MC lists at only $16. You'd just need the screw-in retainer that holds it in the camera, and of course a good sensor cleaning before installation. 

https://www.highpoin...as-d21-arwindow

• gfstallin and moonwatching ferret like this

#7 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:39 PM

A replacement AR window for the ASI224MC lists at only $16. You'd just need the screw-in retainer that holds it in the camera, and of course a good sensor cleaning before installation. 

https://www.highpoin...as-d21-arwindow

i will order a new ar window . i am just concerned with possible damage to the cam due to dropping several times the cam i am ordering is an asi 290 with a 2.5 power mate . Acording to dave at hp scientific the power mate does not work like a barlow the magnification does not change when the powermate is pulled back further from the cam in the case of using an adc corector. I also did some research on laptops today . best buy has a nice 17 inch screen 1t intel i7 quad core ??? laptop for 950 i think that was withtax i can get a 521gb with a solid state dricve installed for 1300 but i will fil that to quickly i would rather save my money and get something similar to what i have or keep it but its severely damaged  and full i want an uprade.

anyone have suggestions feel free to let me know but i dont feel like spending 1500 on a laptop

#8 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

apologies for bad punctuation im on my way out the door 

#9 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:59 PM

Premium 2019 Newest HP Pavilion 17.3" HD+ Business Touchscreen Laptop AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 5 2500U >i7-7500U 8GB/16GB/32GB RAM 256GB/512GB/1TB SSD 2TB HDD Radeon Vega 8 DVDRW Backlit KB WiFi Win 10

HP 2019 Premium Flagship Pavilion 17.3 inch HD+ Laptop (Intel i5-7200U/i5-8250U/i7-7500U/i7-8550U 2.7GHz up to 3.5GHz, 8GB/12GB/16GB RAM, 128GB to 1TB SSD, 1TB/2TB HHD, Webcam, WiFi, DVD, Windows 10)

these 2 are just at around 1000 I have a paavilion put it through hell it still works i customizd everything to the max and just around 1000

#10 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

ok so a brand new hp omen laptop with an 8th gen 6 core processor 32 gig ram 580 gig ssd + 1t hhd drives.and aa 17 inch screen with red back lit keys ad a 2" 2x powermate and new asi 290 are on there way. now i have to get a new  usb3 cable. and btw he also included some kind of cloud thingy for photo shop.

Im going to wait for all the guys to tell me i didnt need so much but im tired of slow laptops and storage but the tech i spoke to said the 580 gig ssd was just there to run everything and i should use a desk top external drive if i am worried about loosing external drives.  . 

#11 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

Ferret, we're running at around 7000mm f/l atm on Jove so your 16" (400mm) at f7 - if that is its f/ratio - will give you 7000mm also at 2.5 with that P/mate.

This is f17.5 which is a bit above that "5x rule of thumb" value of f14.5 because the ASI290MM & MC cameras have 2.9uM pixels in their sensors. (2.9x5=14.5)

Personally I wouldn't worry about this "over-sampling" tbh..your skies appear to be well capable of handling such on decent nights! wink.gif

However, just be aware that this P/mate's amplification drops to around 2.25x when there is an 80mm spacing from it's back-end to the camera sensor...the ADC will take up most of this so expect something around 2.3x as the P/mate's amplification/magnification which gives you an f/l of about 6640mm or f16 which is getting closer to the "5x" adage - which should be jake! wink.gif waytogo.gif   http://www.televue.c...?id=53&Tab=_app

i spent a lot of money today on a laptop and picked up a new asi 290mc had to get it from amazon hp sccientific had back ordered them till god knows when, I decided to go for the 2x 2" powermate , I figured i could always use it with strictly 2 " eyepieces if i ever got around to a dark sky and can see stars again lol

• gfstallin likes this

#12 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:37 PM

Ferret, the 2x Powermate does appear to hold near constant magnification with distance, so this should serve you well.  The only reason I haven't really considered getting one is that it is significantly bigger, heavier, and more expensive since it is a 2" design. 

#13 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

I though about that then I thought it would serve a nice purpose if I ever got a nice televieu 2" low power eyepiece I want to see what my 2" nagler 13  beer can is going to look like in that thing I ordered a 15" extentsion with some kind of signal booster thingy in it. i dont want to go slinging my new very expencive laptop into the swiming pool i have to set up next to

#14 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

i cant wait to see what jupiter will look like at full screen pixel array 

#15 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

my new imaging machine its an hp omen with a 6 core 8th gen processor 32 gig 580gig ssd drive and an additional hhd 1t drive and 17 inch screen. iordered a 2" 2x powermate so i wont be over sampling It seems right on the green box is a 600x 600 sim the red is ful res asi 290 seems like Jupiter will be at 400 pixels diameter. btw i programmed in the view with one of those eye piece thingy no wonder i just look at Jupiter on the screen it looked like a wee dot. my fl at 2x is 5842mm the scope is f7.2

HP-OMEN-header.jpg

download (1)2.png

#16 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:49 PM

curious ... i forgot to fill in apeture and it was set to 80mm i reset to 400mm and same thing so I was right its fl that gives size or magnificatin  but apeture that givs rsolution ie  a 100 mm refractor with a n 8 foot fl will give the same sze disk aas a 400mm scope but not the same details no wonder they went hog wild with long scopes in the old days

#17 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:52 AM

Great that things are turning out all right for you now Ferret! Looking forward to seeing some fresh imaging from you soon.

#18 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:39 AM

thanks i think i wll set up the scope tomorow its dead calm right now waning gibous moon and humid no star twinkling cant wait to see what my colleague dave gets with his 16 in the morning. im really looking forward to how fast a full res 4 minuit avi of the moon will take with this new machine 

#19 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

Good one! Looking forward to the results. NB you may still be somewhat limited by USB3 transfer speeds even with your flash new laptop, especially if using the whole sensor. BTW Did you sort out cabling yet to reach from your imaging train to the laptop?

#20 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

Congratulations!

I am buying and upgrading a lot too although i am new and some think i am crazy or too early, but i am still using my old old HP laptop for my all astro imaging things [DSO, planetary], i don't feel i need to buy an expensive laptop for it, in fact i bought an expensive laptop only to replace that old HP, it is new HP Pavilion 15", i upgraded the drive to 500GB SSD M2 type and also i added 2TB as a backup HDD, while my old HP i kept that 500GB Samsung inside but i replaced its CD-ROM drive with another 2TB HDD, but my mistake was that i used that HDD as the destination drive for capturing so that i don't get very high fps, because i still didn't format and cleaned my 500GB SSD so it has limited free space, but sounds i must fix that now so i can use SDD again for recorded files to have faster fps, i tested few times in the past and i was able to go above 150fps or even above 200 for ROI with my 385MC camera.

The only thing is lacking for me really for planetary is a capable large scope, once i do that then i am all set, not sure i can this year, last year wasn't bad with 7" Mak, but i still have my plan on a large dob over SCT if they are in same price tag, at least for about $5000-6000 i pay for C14 i can get 18" or 20" Dob, regardless of its issues with transport or weight or eq platform it is still a larger aperture, it must outperform 14" anyway no matter what.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics