•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RACI Finder/Guidescope suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrbibs350

mrbibs350

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my current finderscope, ideally with a RACI in the 50-70 mm aperture range that can also act as a guidescope for astrophotography with an SCT.

I like the Orion 60 mm guidescope but it won't work with a diagonal so I think I must look elsewhere.

The only item I've found that meets my needs are Stellavue's 50 through 80 mm finder scopes. They are RACI, but the prism can be unscrewed from the OTA and replaced with a straight through helical focuser for autoguiding. Is there anything else out there like that? Do you guys have any suggestions that might work better?

#2 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:03 AM

This is going to be $$$:

A short tube refractor like the Orion ST80

Amici correct image diagonal

Guiding eyepiece with illuminator reticle

Switch out the system for your autoguiding. 

In the final analysis, it might be cheaper to have two of them: The RACI like the Orion, and then a separate scope for auto-guiding,

Good luck with your search and let us know what you find!!!

Mike

#3 Stan Lopata

Stan Lopata

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utica, NY area

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:39 AM

Why not try an ETX 60mm or 70 tube?  They have a flip mirror for right angle or straight through and they produce a nice sharp image that's pretty wide field.  The other advantage is they can be picked up fairly cheap.  Usually you get the scope with the base and you'd have to remover the OTA.  Something to think about.  I have a 60mm I could be convinced to part with.

Stan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics