•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anacortes Telescope building and warehouse up for sale

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 evangarber

evangarber

Lift Off

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

Zillow just sent me a notice (2/21/19) that the building and warehouse of Anacortes Telescope is for sale. ( i am looking for a second home up there and get periodic notices.)

Does anyone know of they are closing their brick and morter business or just changing their location?

#2 tvoydan

tvoydan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Metro Detroit

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

Well the listing says:

All or part of business for sale as well

https://www.zillow.c...140957905_zpid/

If you look at the price history, it looks like it's been listed for sale on and off since 2008.

Edited by tvoydan, 21 February 2019 - 01:11 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#3 Ishtim

Ishtim

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

I have visited the store off and on since 1999.  

It has slowly morphed away from astronomy and birding equipment. 

I was in there a few months ago.  I'd say less than 10% of the store's retail space consisted of telescopes on display along with a cabinet of eyepieces and accessories.

The rest of the retail space that I could see, walls, rows of display shelves and behind the counter were firearms and related items.  There was still a hummingbird feeder hanging outside. undecided.gif  

Edited by Ishtim, 21 February 2019 - 01:54 PM.

#4 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:00 PM

The rest of the retail space that I could see, walls, rows of display shelves and behind the counter were firearms and related items.  There was still a hummingbird feeder hanging outside. undecided.gif  

Hummingbird feeder must be for target practice?  

• Paul G and Astrola72 like this

#5 gdd

gdd

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

I was in there a few months ago.  I'd say less than 10% of the store's retail space consisted of telescopes on display along with a cabinet of eyepieces and accessories.

I visited the store a few years ago after they added firearms to their inventory. They said astro and birding sales were way down and that firearm sales saved them.

Gale

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

Well this is not good news.  I wonder what will become of Astromart.  

Greg N

• Sarkikos likes this

#7 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

The site got weird, man.  I think the news and community aspect is great, but I avoid the classifieds (which probably keep the lights on) like the plague.  Here is one of the eight ads on the front page, a pretty RC or Software Bisque (I think, the color seems off) mount head for $1,000.00 - except that isn't what it is...   https://astromart.co...levuestellarvue

I mean, it would have been hard to throw in any more random terms to that URL.  I never like to see any small business in trouble.  I'll make it a point to stop in next time I'm up near the peninsula.

• PatNois likes this

#8 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:30 PM

That's bad news.

So many have gone

S&S..Pocino mountain optics ..Parks, etc, ect

Every body has a favorite place & it stinks when they shut the doors. My fave closed decades ago

#9 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

Agree with the above (BinoGuy) observation.  In addition to ads weekly that are obvious scams, I don't see enforcement of the site to quickly ban these folks.  Just check the ads and the listing individual.

Edited by payner, 21 February 2019 - 07:33 PM.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#10 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

Agree with the above (BinoGuy) observation.  In addition to ads weekly that are obvious scams, I don't see enforcement of the site to quickly ban these folks.  Just check the ads and the listing individual.

There has been random banning of 'subscribers' by the owner of AM-Anacortes for years.  Many got banned or kicked off for no reason, taking our money in the process.  Going into the gun business is no surprise by far.  Won't miss AM or Anacortes at all.   Long live CNs.  

• Shneor, Jarno, bobhen and 10 others like this

#11 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

I wonder if Cloudbreak Optics did them in. Let’s face it, Anacortes is not a booming metropolis and the weather is not the best. I heard they made most of their business selling scopes online. Think about the 50% of US stargazers who live in California. You want to avoid paying sales tax right, so there goes OPT. Eyepieces Etc. You want fast and affordable shipping. WA is on the west coast but it isn’t in California. Can you think of a major astronomy store in Oregon? So AWB had a workable situation for awhile, but then Cloudbreak opened in Seattle and seems like AWB wasn’t able to compete I suppose. That’s my theory anyway.

Scott

#12 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

I stopped doing business with Anacortes once they starting charging the yearly fee to use A-Mart.  There are many, many other vendors who I'd rather send my hard earned cash.

Greg, I cannot imaging Astromart going down, it does not need a store front nor inventory, just a server running with minimal maintenance.  I cannot imaging it NOT making money with that business model.

Jaimo!

• Markovich, nirvanix, leonard and 1 other like this

#13 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:07 PM

I wonder if Cloudbreak Optics did them in. Let’s face it, Anacortes is not a booming metropolis and the weather is not the best. I heard they made most of their business selling scopes online. Think about the 50% of US stargazers who live in California. You want to avoid paying sales tax right, so there goes OPT. Eyepieces Etc. You want fast and affordable shipping. WA is on the west coast but it isn’t in California. Can you think of a major astronomy store in Oregon? So AWB had a workable situation for awhile, but then Cloudbreak opened in Seattle and seems like AWB wasn’t able to compete I suppose. That’s my theory anyway.

Scott

Well, if its been for sale since 2008 thats long before Cloudbreak Optics.  And the 'great recession' of 07-08-09, didn't help any scope business.  But throwing many potential and real customers 'out the door', maybe for political reasons, tends to **** people off so they don't ever come back and they tell their friends and families.  

• leonard, astro3320 and sixtysomething like this

#14 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

A-Mart won't go away......someone else will buy it if it's for sale.

#15 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

A-Mart won't go away......someone else will buy it if it's for sale.

I think Herb has tried to sell it before.  It's hard to find buyers.  Under the fee system I don't even know if it breaks even.

Greg N

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:38 AM

The site got weird, man.  I think the news and community aspect is great, but I avoid the classifieds (which probably keep the lights on) like the plague.  Here is one of the eight ads on the front page, a pretty RC or Software Bisque (I think, the color seems off) mount head for $1,000.00 - except that isn't what it is...   https://astromart.co...levuestellarvue

I mean, it would have been hard to throw in any more random terms to that URL.  I never like to see any small business in trouble.  I'll make it a point to stop in next time I'm up near the peninsula.

I think you misunderstood the ad.

Look at who posted the ad.  Anacortes.  That is an AT&WB ad simply saying that they will finance mounts. 

"##NOW WE FINANCE## AP & Bisque Mounts/Celestron/Meade/Takahashi/TeleVue/StellarVue...."

"find-your-best-deal-on-ap-bisque-mountscelestronmeadetakahashitelevuestellarvue"

https://astromart.co...levuestellarvue

The $1000 is just a place holder.  It is just another one of Herb's ads.

Jon

#17 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:12 AM

Scott

Never been in any real scope stores in FL and we have nothing but sun. Never even many scopes for sale in FL used that i would want.

#18 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:13 AM

Their business model of various support levels plus sponsors must be making decent money:

• Purple level = $15 * 6,354 = $95,310 a year
  • Green level = $30 * 530 = $15,900 a year
  • Red level    = $60 * 172 = $ 10,320 a year
  • Brown level = $100 * 132 = $ 12,200 a year

Grand total = $ 133,730 EXCLUDING:

1. Lifetime supporters as it is a one off fee.
  2. Further ads for which additional fees apply.
  3. What sponsors pay.
  4. Additional fees sponsors may pay for the ads they place.

Not bad. Not bad at all...

• Jaimo! likes this

#19 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:13 AM

I think you misunderstood the ad.

Look at who posted the ad.  Anacortes.  That is an AT&WB ad simply saying that they will finance mounts. 

"##NOW WE FINANCE## AP & Bisque Mounts/Celestron/Meade/Takahashi/TeleVue/StellarVue...."

"find-your-best-deal-on-ap-bisque-mountscelestronmeadetakahashitelevuestellarvue"

https://astromart.co...levuestellarvue

The $1000 is just a place holder.  It is just another one of Herb's ads.

Jon

About the only way i could afford a super mount would be like having car payments.

#20 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:14 AM

Their business model of various support levels plus sponsors must be making decent money:

• Purple level = $15 * 6,354 = $ 95,310 a year
  • Green level = $30 * 530 = $15,900 a year
  • Red level = $60 * 172 = $ 10,320 a year
  • Brown level = $100 * 132 = $ 12,200 a year

Grand total = $ 133,730 EXCLUDING:

1. Lifetime supporters as it is a one off fee.
  2. Further ads for which additional fees apply.
  3. What sponsors pay.
  4. Additional fees sponsors may pay for the ads they place.

Not bad. Not bad at all...

I do red level just about every year since way back in the day.  I guess i should have done the lifetime payment.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#21 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:17 AM

I do purple ($15) because I want access to see prices on ads and sometimes I buy / sell there. It serves me well and I don't see the reason to support at a higher level.

I also started donating the same amount to CN ($15), as I do use the classifieds on occasion and also keep current on the prices here.

• Jon Isaacs, Phil Cowell, Jaimo! and 2 others like this

#22 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:46 AM

I do purple ($15) because I want access to see prices on ads and sometimes I buy / sell there. It serves me well and I don't see the reason to support at a higher level.

I also started donating the same amount to CN ($15), as I do use the classifieds on occasion and also keep current on the prices here.

I donate $100/year to Astromart.  Nearly all my equipment has been purchased via Astromart, not all but nearly all.  It's just a small thank you.

I donate to CN on an informal, irregular basis.  I don't do Paypal so when I pass a piece of equipment on to someone else and they want to reimburse me via Paypal, I tell them to donate it to CN with some mention of me.. 

Jon

• Paul G, moshen, Phil Cowell and 5 others like this

#23 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Ranger 4

• Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

Well the listing says:

https://www.zillow.c...140957905_zpid/

If you look at the price history, it looks like it's been listed for sale on and off since 2008.

Good by. I will not miss them, even briefly.

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

• Jarno, gnabgib, Dave Ponder and 4 others like this

#24 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:43 PM

Good by. I will not miss them, even briefly.

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

+1

• gnabgib, Dave Ponder and agmoonsolns like this

#25 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

Please, let's keep this thread confined to news/information about Anacortes and Astromart.

Expressing dislike of such with nothing else to contribute is tantamount to vendor-bashing and will lead to :lock:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics