•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Last Goto - Model 1020 60mm-fl900-f/15

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

The last Goto?  Certainly not for me I hope.  But in a way I think this is The Last Goto telescope that I would likely call a 'Classic' Goto telescope.  To start us off, here is a picture of this very nice telescope.

P2211282.JPG

I'm not sure when this was first released by Goto Optical Corp., but the ad I do have is for 1972.

Goto 1020 Only Ad Flier 1972.jpg

This is another Goto telescope that Dave Trott passed my way and in his video of it he called it simply a 6cm telescope.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rU4lH7jNraM

It is a Model 1020 in the brochure.  At f/15 it should be a Fraunhoffer, but I don't see any spacers, so perhaps a ring spacer.  The DPAC is perfect.

P2211296.JPG

The scope is in wonderful condition, but does show in a very few places what I'll call storage oxidation on bare metal parts.  The finish is a kind of pebbled cobalt blue to me and I think I like it better than the enameled gray of earlier generations.

But what about this Last Goto telescope?  I got way deep, well in over my head when I got started on Questars.  In all I have owned 22.  I edited a bio of Larry Braymer written by Meg Braymer, and one day I hope it sees the light of day.  It is a wonderful story.  Braymer's story was the creation of the 3.5" Questar telescope.  When he passed away in 1965, the company moved forward with many and diverse project efforts - Q7, Q12, 25th Anniversary, 50th Anniversary.  This is all well and good, but we were denied the fruits of what could have been if Braymer's innovative mind had been around a little longer.  Such is life.   I keep drawing parallels between Braymer and Seizo Goto.  Both took innovation to new levels. 

I have gotten much deeper in a shorter period of time into Goto lore.   The fact that most everything of importance to the story is originally in Japanese is a challenge unlike anything I've done before.  A rich cultural heritage that is fascinating and steeped with tradition, yet just as entrepreneurial as we see in our own astro industry.   I really am grateful for those that understand the language and the culture offering to open doors and websites that I would simply not have access to.  Google Translate and Chrome browsers are amazing.  

I see four periods in Goto telescope evolution.  The first from 1926 to WWII.  These telescopes were meant to put the means to view the skies in the hands of individuals.  Goto-san was famous for his roof top star parties to market his telescopes.  The scopes of this period were very Zeiss-like, and with the exception of fairly consistent OTAs and accessories, quite diverse, with a variety of mounts and tripods.  Tube construction was based on rolled paper tubes to brass.   I think this period is Japanese telescope manufacture establishing its roots.   Post WWII to the early 70's was the second period.  The early part was simply getting back to work after the war and a number of innovative designs old and new were offered.  Then in 1954 the product lineup was invigorated with the government backed school telescope program.  There were three types of telescopes that Goto offered during this period.  Educational scopes that were meant for one or two per school (normally the Modified Cooke Doublet objective); Best Optic telescopes up to 4" for refractors and 8" for reflectors for amateurs; and large aperture Professional telescopes.  Here in the US we saw examples of both of these first two periods with many of us owning either Goto or Lazslo branded Educational and Best optic telescopes.  We were also fortunate to get more than a few of the 6" Professional refractors imported.  Those I own fall into these first two periods.  I consider this Model 1020 the Last Telescope that I would consider part of the Classic second period.  In many ways the mount is quite similar to the Model 105, 106 and 203 mounts with its sliding OTA balance rod mounting, slow motion controls well positioned, and plastic parts, while numerous, limited to areas that do not compromise dimensional or structural integrity.  The mount is solid, stable, nice to use.  And with darker wood stain on the legs it really stands out.  Here are some more pictures.  Close-up of the mount.

P2211289.JPG

The focuser and finder (plastic with brass inserts for screws).

P2211283.JPG

Counterweight shaft (Goto logo'd knobs)

P2211290.JPG

More to follow.

Edited by Stew44, 21 February 2019 - 10:10 PM.

• Boom, astro140, Urban Observer and 10 others like this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

Thanks Stew.  What an awesome looking scope.  Really nice history report.

#3 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

The spreader arms are a little different with the same tray as before, although the brass threaded center is now steel.

P2211291.JPG

The lens cap is no longer metal, but plastic, and again Goto logo molded in.

P2211288.JPG

Accessories are typical with diagonal, three eyepieces - H6mm, H12.5mm and H25mm (no longer is the convertible H12.5-25mm offered), and Sun filter (do not use).  This model also came with solar projection panels and rod and that is missing from this kit.

P2211293.JPG

It did come with a camera adaptor though that attaches to the end of the CW rod.

P2211294.JPG

There is no porro prism for terrestrial viewing.

Finally this is the first of the later Goto Optical case labels with all capital letters (GOTO) in the logo in place of the previous 'GOTo' inscription there that I have seen.  I believe this change is worth a short thread of its own so will explain separately.

P2211295.JPG

Why did this second period end?  In 1973 the School Telescope Program changed from one or two telescopes per school to a block of Yen set aside for each school type and size to purchase telescopes.  Less expensive telescopes that met specifications of the act would result in more sales per school (and less waiting time at the eyepiece for students).  This is the period where I think maximum use was made of new materials and manufacturing techniques to lighten the scopes so children could move them about instead of teachers.   That program pretty much continued until a degree of saturation ensued and Goto finally left the market.  

For completion, the fourth period was really Goto employee driven with a return to fine telescope manufacture and an attempt to re-enter the APO and computerized mount market.  However Goto Optical Corp had been focused on planetarium development and manufacture for a long time as the priority for the company.  I don't believe that the resources or the will existed to truly get back in the game.  The Goto Telescope Co. subsidiary currently in operation is a boutique type of manufacturing extension to the earlier efforts in my opinion.  The scopes they produce are really nice, but few in quantity and unlikely to make it out of Japanese markets

So there it is.  This Model 1020 is one of the last of the true Classic Goto Kogaku telescopes to me, and like all of them I own, I feel very fortunate to have another piece of history that is not well represented here in the US.

Edited by Stew44, 21 February 2019 - 07:45 PM.

• astro140, Chuck Hards, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#4 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

Nice! Have you seen my post on restoring a 6" Goto refractor? If not you may enjoy it.

Mike

#5 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:35 PM

Another winner, Stew!

#6 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

Beautiful scope Stew. 

#7 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

Hi Mike. Yes, made sure it was on the Goto links thread. Nice piece of work.

#8 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:57 PM

I see four periods in Goto telescope evolution.  The first from 1926 to WWII.  These telescopes were meant to put the means to view the skies in the hands of individuals.  Goto-san was famous for his roof top star parties to market his telescopes.  

Does anyone remember the readers digest article of the Japanese amateur astronomer who discovered a comet from an open door or hatch on his roof he would search for comets? Could very well have been a Goto telescope? I can see the artists rendering of the rooftop and the astronomer but don't remember the date, name of the comet? Not Hyukatake, probably in the 60's or 70's?)

Edited by Mike W, 21 February 2019 - 09:07 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

Minoro Honda discovered twelve comets with a Nippon Kogaku 6.5cm.

Edited by Stew44, 21 February 2019 - 09:34 PM.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#10 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:15 PM

I remembered! Comet Ikeya- Seki, 1965!

Sorry to throw your post off track!!!!!!!

Edited by Mike W, 21 February 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#11 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:34 AM

Very nice photographs. Enjoyed reading on the History. Thanks, Stew. GOTO never made it to the olde world or so I think. Never saw GOTO live or being advertised, which is a shame.

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:44 AM

Stew, do you know of the final whereabouts of this 6” Goto? I believe it finally wound up in your state, Colorado. This was one of the most fascinating threads I ever read through:

https://www.cloudyni...elescope party
  • Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#13 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

I think Steve MM had been following it more closely than I.  I contacted some people, but all denied knowledge.  I haven't heard of it being set up for viewing anywhere.  I look at the effort to get the 4" set up to enjoy and it's similar to the 4" Unitron in all its splendor.  I can't help but believe it's sitting in an observatory out on the eastern plains perhaps if in Colorado.

#14 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:08 PM

Stew, do you know of the final whereabouts of this 6” Goto? I believe it finally wound up in your state, Colorado. This was one of the most fascinating threads I ever read through:

Great thread

And Terra thanks for posting that link to that 12 year old thread. What a great read for newbees like me and others as well.

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 22 February 2019 - 06:45 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#15 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

There is another thread about the entire restoration.  I can never find it.  We have moved 3x since that thread, so although I would have liked to have kept the scope, it turned out to be a very wise decision to pass it along.  I just wish that it had gone somewhere where it was being used, or at least set up.  I also wish I had kept the 75 year anniversary book.

Stew has done a fantastic job of keeping the Goto story alive and expanding on it so much more than I was able to 12 years ago.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#16 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Steve.  I wanted to share my latest thought on the Zeus telescope branding and get CN's thoughts.  Goto worked at Nikon for six years and knew the Zeiss consultants there quite well.  His telescope designs (and Nikon's) were heavily dependent on Zeiss methods and styles.  I was told that Goto was a very common name in Japan, like Smith or Jones.  So early marketing was simply under 'Goto's Telescopes'.  Then a very brief turn to 'Saturn' and finally 'Zeus' with all it's Greek mythology lore.  What if all the Greek mythology lore was a simple justification for using the word 'Zeus', and the goal of Goto-san was to brand his scopes with a word that quickly brings to mind 'Zeiss'  Zeus - Zeiss.  We've seen this kind of thing a lot over the years.  Makes a lot of sense. Maybe a stretch, but ....

Edited by Stew44, 23 February 2019 - 04:29 PM.

• Dave Trott, Defenderslideguitar and Steve Allison like this

#17 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:48 PM

Not a stretch at all. I'm 100% sure it's because Zeus looks like Zeiss. Just look at how Goto, Nikon and many other Japanese makers copied the old CZJ 'doublet lens' logo.

• Stew44 likes this

#18 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:47 AM

Terra, you always catch stuff that I have grossly overlooked.  bow.gif   The original Lew Chilton thread from 2007 and Steve Miller's follow-on thread from 2008 are being added to the Goto links thread pinned under Useful Classic Scope Links in the sticky section.  Will let you know when it's live.  Thanks Chuck!

Also I hope to have some information on the 6" whereabouts and future shortly.

#19 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

Thanks! I hope you’re able to track it down Stew, maybe even visit it and get some pictures if it’s not too far away. I would be a great detective story! I know I’m interested in hearing what’s become of it! smile.gif
  • Stew44 likes this

#20 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:08 PM

John Briggs has pretty much confirmed it's up in Eagle Valley (near Vail) at the Hut Observatory.  Steve Miller always said it was shipped to Colorado so that's likely the place.  It's a couple hour drive, but I need to ascertain what's currently going on there as John is no longer Astronomer-on-Site.  The 16" scope there may be remotely operated so no one on staff per se.  In any event I'm certainly interested in pursuing.

• Terra Nova likes this

#21 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:52 PM

Stew.  Good luck.  It would be great to have some info on the 6" Titan Observatory Goto.

Also, the scope was not shipped.  John and his team came to my house, disassembled everything, hauled it out of the house, and off they went.  It was awesome the way they handled everything.  No work from me.

• Stew44 likes this

#22 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Wow, I just shipped a 6" scope.  Nobody showed up at my place to pack it for me and take it away.  Drat! mad.gif

Edited by Stew44, 26 February 2019 - 03:51 PM.

• Steve_M_M and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics