•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Frigid Morning Jupiter February 21

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 schu

schu

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

It happened, the skies finally cleared this morning.  Apparently it came at a cost: at 5 AM when I started imaging, the temp was -1F and wind chill was -14F!  Definitely the coldest imaging session, or telescope session of any kind, that I've ever done.

Seeing wasn't great to the say the least.  I had a long string of alignment issues and then issues with the focus knob - I'll spare the details.  Didn't collimate.  It was just too **** cold. 

Nexstar 8SE, 224MC, ZWO ADC, 2X barlow.

Jup 060828 lapl6 ap48jpg

Jupiter & Ganymede (Europa is on the disk somewhere too...)

Jup RS 1 1jpg

Here's the setup on the frozen tundra.

C9tWbKp.jpg

Reasonable results I suppose.  Should only get better from here.

• Sunspot, eros312, happylimpet and 7 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:12 AM

In your shoes I would have deferred the better weather for a week or three when it might be much warmer!  A good result for your brave efforts.

#3 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:21 PM

Very nice.  I popped out this morning to get Jupes with my Z73.  Nowhere ‚Äčnear as much detail as your excellent pictures, of course, and it was about 15 minutes before sunrise obliterated it.  I did see three of the moons and some banding so I call that a win.  I would have liked to schlepp out the imaging gear but it was pretty cold here too so I salute your fortitude.  Nice images.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics