•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions on ES Twilight 2

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rnc39560

rnc39560

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: MS coast

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:46 AM

For starters, can you look at the same object mounting two scopes or not?

Also, would it carry the older Meade AR6, and a c102gt? 

Yes, I've read several topics about needed mods also. Lube, needle bearing ect... 

Is there a similar mount under say $500, especially with slo mo cables? 

That's about I guess... Thanks for info.

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:12 AM

I like mine... it easily allows 2 scopes to look at the same object... that's about the only thing you can really do with 2 scopes mounted on it.

A 152mm scope is pretty heavy... maybe not for this mount, but you'll definitely need to counterbalance it. 

I use mine with my 152mm Mak/Newt (lighter than your Frac) and 80mm triplet.... and my 80mm triplet with Lunt Solar Wedge and 60mm Lunt scope

• rnc39560 likes this

#3 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Messenger

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

I have wondered about this too.  Is there a mechanism to adjust the alignment of the two scopes so they precisely point to the same object, even at high magnification?

#4 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:30 AM

I have wondered about this too.  Is there a mechanism to adjust the alignment of the two scopes so they precisely point to the same object, even at high magnification?

No. You would have to shim the scope mounting plate to do that.

• rnc39560 likes this

#5 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:31 AM

I've only used mine a couple of times... I don't recall a purposeful adjustment... but there are set screws of sorts that allow adjustment

#6 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:33 AM

I've only used mine a couple of times... I don't recall a purposeful adjustment... but there are set screws of sorts that allow adjustment

The set screws allow for rotation of the spindles. They don’t compensate for inward/outward positioning. People have used shims before though to align two scopes to the same object. Not sure how well it works. I’ve never tried it.

• rnc39560 likes this

#7 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Messenger

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

Thanks.  I appreciate the information about the alignment.

• rnc39560 likes this

#8 rnc39560

rnc39560

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

Has anyone tried an ar6 on it?

#9 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:08 AM

Not sure if you would have the height required to not be sitting directly on the ground when hovering near zenith. Even with the pier extension. I tried looking for an example online but just ran into your old query from 2015 on this combo. Haha. Revisiting the idea?

https://www.cloudyni...-for-meade-ar6/

Looks like you didn’t get answers back then either. Hopefully someone chimes in that actually has this combo.

• rnc39560 likes this

#10 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:13 AM

Also - the reason I question it because I used a 6” F/5.9 refractor on mine with pier extension and I was nearly on the ground directly for zenith views. I have an adjustable chair and I would put it on the lowest rung to view near zenith. AR6 is F/8 which is quite a bit longer than F/5.9

I now use a T-Rex on an adjustable Avalon T-Pod 130 with a pier extension. The T-Pod would adjust much higher than I use it now, but the Twilight II didn’t have much height adjustment.

You could find a longer pier though. Not sure if any others are compatible but I thought I remembered that an Orion pier could be used. Like on the Atlas mounts. I may be wrong though. Check with ES to be sure. 

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 22 February 2019 - 09:16 AM.

• rnc39560 likes this

#11 rnc39560

rnc39560

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:17 AM

Yep, didn't have the $$ to take a chance, but can do layaway now. So seriously thinking about it. Jan Owen has an APM 6" on it. Just messaged him about it. 

Not sure if you would have the height required to not be sitting directly on the ground when hovering near zenith. Even with the pier extension. I tried looking for an example online but just ran into your old query from 2015 on this combo. Haha. Revisiting the idea?

https://www.cloudyni...-for-meade-ar6/

Looks like you didn’t get answers back then either. Hopefully someone chimes in that actually has this combo.

Yep, didn't have the $$ to take a chance, but can do layaway now. So seriously thinking about it. Jan Owen has an APM 6" on it. Just messaged him about it. Would you believe I haven't mounted it since asking back then!! Haha!

#12 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

Ahh. APM is also F/8. Should be good then. Check with him to see if he is using the ES standard pier also.

#13 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:24 AM

I can tell you that my OTA on the 6” is 25lbs and I did not use counterweights, but an AR6 would definitely recommend counterweights or second scope because of the longer moment arm. I never modded my Twilight II but noticed that if I took the time to balance the scope properly, I did not even have to engage clutches (tighten the alt and az handles) and the scope was one finger push in both alt and az movement. Surprisingly smooth. I’m in mild climate though so the factory grease never bound up on me. I think it has in real cold temps for some people.

• rnc39560 likes this

#14 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

Write to Explore Scientific... isn't the AR6 about the same thing as their 152mm refractor? They can tell you how it will work for payload capacity, balance, and height...

#15 rnc39560

rnc39560

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

Write to Explore Scientific... isn't the AR6 about the same thing as their 152mm refractor? They can tell you how it will work for payload capacity, balance, and height...

I have a Meade ar6. Its an f/8. Longer and heavier than the ES. 

#16 mikerepp

mikerepp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

I put my Ar152 on my Twilight II with little issues.   It is a little shaky if focusing manually.   I have a JMI motorized focuser so this is not an issue for me.

The scope is long and you will be sitting on the ground for Zenith.  You can extend the legs all the way and get some height but you will sacrifice some stability.   For me not a big issue I have a pad I sit on.

If only mounting one scope I recommend counterweight on the opposite side.   I made a CW bar from 1" bar stock.  Drilled and tapped in the end with M6 or M8 ( cant remember which) and screwed into the middle of the clamp.  I use 5 to 10lb barbell weight depending on the scope on the other side.

You can make an altitude adjustment to align the scopes using the 3mm setscrews.  To align the other direction will need shims.   I didn't find a need to do this, I just nudge the scope east or west to put the object into view on the other scope.

Hope that helps.

• rnc39560 and Xeroid like this

#17 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

I have a Twilight II mount. It works fine, except in cold weather. I sent it back once and I think it is just a design flaw.

As someone mentioned it is fairly simple to adjust the spindle in altitude to get a "match" between the two scopes....IF they are low powered. I could get a match with my EDT 115 and Orion ED80.

A couple of days ago, I saw this mount at Starzonia in Tucson. It was a used mount.  Really well made.

http://www.desertsky....com/DSV-3.html

It appears he makes different models. But I was really impressed. It was outfitted as a go-to mount with encoders.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics