•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell me about your Televue Telescope

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#301 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Also reading a little about the Starbeam.  Clever device.  I'll have to figure out how to use it.  Going to Utah next week for some field work and hopefully some dark sky time with this scope.  

-Tim.

The TV102 with a Starbeam is a great combo! Love mine!

Mike

4.jpg

• Scott Beith, tim53, Lewis Cason and 4 others like this

#302 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:39 PM

I've owned 3 Pronto's & 3 Tv85's over 30 some odd years.
They just have a special place in my life
I've owned 105mm &115 mm TMB's..
2- C-8 fork mounted
1-AP 130
I sold & bought more than I care to admit. But always came back to the TV line.. Too many stories to type out here.
Never had a bad experience
With the Nagler family or there products
I'm careless & run to my own drum.
.but I'm loyal as he11
  • scotsman328i, Mike W, Erik Bakker and 2 others like this

#303 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:22 PM

Been using a TV 127is (through my job) for several years, but just acquired my first personal Telelvue, an older TV76 with the chrome drawtube.  I've barely been able to use it, as the weather here in Tucson, AZ has been quite wet...but am hoping that as the storm has finally cleared out within the last few hours I'll get an extended opportunity tonight.  I have had a few small refractors in the past (Orion 80ed, SV 80, SV 90T) and was missing the portability as well as the ability to observe the Sun without pulling out the TEC140...anyway...here it is set up just now...

I know the DM6 mount is a bit (just a bit lol.gif ) overkill, but I also own a TEC140 that enjoys the DM6...

TV_76.jpg

• Scott Beith, peleuba, Don Allen and 12 others like this

#304 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

Been using a TV 127is (through my job) for several years, but just acquired my first personal Telelvue, an older TV76 with the chrome drawtube.  I've barely been able to use it, as the weather here in Tucson, AZ has been quite wet...but am hoping that as the storm has finally cleared out within the last few hours I'll get an extended opportunity tonight.  I have had a few small refractors in the past (Orion 80ed, SV 80, SV 90T) and was missing the portability as well as the ability to observe the Sun without pulling out the TEC140...anyway...here it is set up just now...

I know the DM6 mount is a bit (just a bit lol.gif ) overkill, but I also own a TEC140 that enjoys the DM6...

attachicon.gif TV_76.jpg

Beautiful!

• Mike W, Castor and buddy ny like this

#305 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

attachicon.gif TV_76.jpg

Better overkill than underkill, like a certain NP127 owner had once......

• Mike W and gjanke like this

#306 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

attachicon.gif TV_76.jpg

Congratulations Alan S, that’s beautiful shining like-new TV-76, I can imagine the sparkling views from a dark site with your 13mm Ethos eyepiece! laugh.gif 

• Mike W likes this

#307 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

Congratulations Alan S, that’s beautiful shining like-new TV-76, I can imagine the sparkling views from a dark site with your 13mm Ethos eyepiece! laugh.gif 

It is in very good condition indeed...and playing with the 'portrait' mode on the cell phone when I took the image did create a kind of "Glamour Shot"...

First light the other night started off very well, observed Callisto brushing by the Northern pole of Jupiter while Io's shadow was transiting...unfortunately as it got darker the humidity was climbing and within an hour it was totally overcast again...its been an unusual week of weather here in the southern AZ desert...

I do have 4 nights under magnitude 7.2-7.5 skies coming at new moon...should be fun!

Cheers

• Mike W and Castor like this

#308 BWDenver

BWDenver

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

My first imaging OTA was a Celestron C80ED spotting scope.  A great scope, but limited in the FOV area. 

I finally decided to step up to a Tele Vue NP101is.  Guiding the OTA was the next challenge and I picked up a Sky Watcher 50ED guide scope.  Which of course did not have a well designed mount to the OTA.

An afternoon with a friend and his machine shop solved that problem.  Now it mounts to a Vixen rail on the 101.  The eye piece is replace with a ZWO ASI174MM Mini for tracking.

Attached Thumbnails

• TeleVue_NP101is_CGX.jpg
  • TeleVue_NP101is_SkyWatchr50ED_CGX.jpg

• Scott Beith, tim53, ckwastro and 9 others like this

#309 StarAlert

StarAlert

Explorer 1

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

Has anyone used binoviewers with an NP127? If so, what are your thoughts?

#310 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

I picked up this TV Renaissance 102 (Serial #1018) at the swap meet at RTMC last weekend.  This is my friend Lynn Wyatt checking out a snag on the horizon.  I was so busy that weekend that I only just set it up to check it out this evening, just before the Maroon Layer rolled in and took Jupiter away.

The scope came with two clamping rings (not sure what the second was for), a Star Beam (not sure how to use one, as I never have.  But the red light works), a 20mm TV Plossl, and a JMI motofocus (so I only have one brass focus knob).

Tonight I tried it out with a 14mm ES 2" eyepiece.  Nice big apparent field, but Jupiter is still too small.  My box of 1 1/4" UO and Galoc eyepieces and barlows were stored away where I was too lazy to get them out, so I used the eyepiece set that came with the Coronado 60mm that I traded my TV NP101is for, plus some cash, some several years ago.

I should add that it looks really good with the gold anodized eyepieces from the Coronado set.

Had the scope out in the dark skies of Milford, Utah 2 nights ago.  The planets are too low to really do well, but even so I am impressed at the brightness and contrast in this scope.  Moving to other objects was a little bit of a pain, as I was trying to stay comfortable and have problems with the star beam.  I can't quite figure out how to adjust it.  Got sort of close, but the screw holes for the smaller thumscrews on the sides appear to either be stripped, or there's just not enough adjustment room to get the red dot coaxial with the scope without one screw threading all the way out and falling out.  

So I'm thinking...  this scope cries out for a brass and walnut Gerrish Polar mount!  I think something could be rigged up to service more than one of my APO otas.  

-Tim.

• Mike W, Terra Nova and 25585 like this

#311 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

Every TV refractor is a classic, actual or modern. From the first to most recent, like Hasselblad cameras. 

• tim53, scotsman328i, Mike W and 4 others like this

#312 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

In my 50+ years in the hobby I have owned TV refractors in 70, 76, 101, and 102mm, and I have enjoyed them all.  Most recently I had a TV 76 which made a great scope for the 2017 eclipse which we watched from Caspar, WY.  A few months ago someone on another site wanted to downgrade from his 85 to a 76, so we worked out a trade.  Now I am enjoying a TV 85, which I plan to keep very long term. I tried it on a lightweight A/A mount but was not satisfied with the crazy high powers I sometimes use on the moon, so I upgraded to a Vixen GP mount.  This was a big improvement, but the standard tripod was just too short and still a bit lacking on super high powers. I had a chance recently to buy a used Tak tripod (model FC-L, I think) and I think I will be very happy.  Here is my TV 85 on its hybrid Vixen/Tak mount.

GG

IMG_1172.jpg

• tim53, Don Allen, ckwastro and 11 others like this

#313 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

We had a club outreach out in the country and I took my TV Genesis SDF 101mm F5.4 Fluorite apo, on the Gibralter alt-az mount, with a GLP finder, and my box of outreach eyepieces- a box of eight 2” Russell and Wollensak eyepieces from 38mm to 7mm. I had a blast. I think I saw every Messier Object within reach and above the horizon, between around 9:30 and midnight. I love that scope. It’s an ergonomic and optical dream come true. My favorite 4” refractor EVER! If I could only keep one telescope, it would be my TV Genesis/Gibralter combo, (and I wouldn’t even have to think twice about it). Yes, it’s that good! And versatile!! From planets, to solar, lunar to DSOs and Milky Way cruising, the Gen SDF does it all!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 33511C26-8B67-4962-867F-CAE953AD06E8.jpeg

• tim53, scotsman328i, Mike W and 10 others like this

#314 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

We had a club outreach out in the country and I took my TV Genesis SDF 101mm F5.4 Fluorite apo, on the Gibralter alt-az mount, with a GLP finder, and my box of outreach eyepieces- a box of eight 2” Russell and Wollensak eyepieces from 38mm to 7mm. I had a blast. I think I saw every Messier Object within reach and above the horizon, between around 9:30 and midnight. I love that scope. It’s an ergonomic and optical dream come true. My favorite 4” refractor EVER! If I could only keep one telescope, it would be my TV Genesis/Gibralter combo, (and I wouldn’t even have to think twice about it). Yes, it’s that good! And versatile!! From planets, to solar, lunar to DSOs and Milky Way cruising, the Gen SDF does it all!!

Exactly why I’ve held on to my TV76 all these years. Other scopes have come and go, but the TV76 stays for life. The images may be bigger and brighter in those huge light buckets, but you just cannot beat an APO for razor sharp viewing of all the Solar System objects and a myriad of wide field deep sky scanning without that slight fuzzy slop or ‘noise’ that mirrors give compared to a premium quality lens.

• Mike W, Erik Bakker, Lewis Cason and 3 others like this

#315 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:41 PM

Exactly why I’ve held on to my TV76 all these years. Other scopes have come and go, but the TV76 stays for life. The images may be bigger and brighter in those huge light buckets, but you just cannot beat an APO for razor sharp viewing of all the Solar System objects and a myriad of wide field deep sky scanning without that slight fuzzy slop or ‘noise’ that mirrors give compared to a premium quality lens.

Well said friends! waytogo.gif 

• scotsman328i and Mike W like this

#316 Castor

Castor

Apollo

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

In my 50+ years in the hobby I have owned TV refractors in 70, 76, 101, and 102mm, and I have enjoyed them all.  Most recently I had a TV 76 which made a great scope for the 2017 eclipse which we watched from Caspar, WY.  A few months ago someone on another site wanted to downgrade from his 85 to a 76, so we worked out a trade.  Now I am enjoying a TV 85, which I plan to keep very long term. I tried it on a lightweight A/A mount but was not satisfied with the crazy high powers I sometimes use on the moon, so I upgraded to a Vixen GP mount.  This was a big improvement, but the standard tripod was just too short and still a bit lacking on super high powers. I had a chance recently to buy a used Tak tripod (model FC-L, I think) and I think I will be very happy.  Here is my TV 85 on its hybrid Vixen/Tak mount.

GG

attachicon.gif IMG_1172.jpg

What an elegant setup your TV-85 on the Vixen mount with the Takahashi tripod, congratulations! drool5.gif  

Edited by Castor, 04 October 2019 - 05:45 PM.

• scotsman328i, Mike W and SkyRanger like this

#317 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:54 AM

My original Genesis is very precious and has emotional value. I bought my 85 to take some of the risks, and it's shown it has its own worth, both keepers.   

• Mike W, Castor and Terra Nova like this

#318 gtrguy

gtrguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

Here's my Genesis SDF that I bought new back in the 90's.  I was heavily into the hobby back then but  "Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys", in my case it was guitars. I still take it out once in a while and it performs just as it did when it was new many years ago. Design wise it doesn't look dated at all as others have said the build quality is second to none.  The only thing I added was a JMI MotoFocus which also still works after all years.  It could use new case though, the latches don't work that great.

I have thought about selling it a few times, but now I think I'll keep it.  Whenever I set it up for public viewing it's a blast to see people react to seeing the moon and Saturn for the first time.  I live in New York City now so DSO observing is out of the question unless I travel, but the moon and planets are still satisfying.

Here are a few pics from the 2017 solar eclipse.  Look at that line, nothing draws a crowd like a telescope.

TIPuKjN.jpg

BeXAjpv.jpg

• Mike W, George N, Lewis Cason and 7 others like this

#319 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

Gtrguy, if you ever DO decide to sell that Genesis SDF, the line of potential buyers will be as long as the eclipse line!

• scotsman328i, Mike W, Lewis Cason and 1 other like this

#320 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

Here's my Genesis SDF that I bought new back in the 90's.  I was heavily into the hobby back then but  "Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys", in my case it was guitars. I still take it out once in a while and it performs just as it did when it was new many years ago. Design wise it doesn't look dated at all as others have said the build quality is second to none.  The only thing I added was a JMI MotoFocus which also still works after all years.  It could use new case though, the latches don't work that great.

I have thought about selling it a few times, but now I think I'll keep it.  Whenever I set it up for public viewing it's a blast to see people react to seeing the moon and Saturn for the first time.  I live in New York City now so DSO observing is out of the question unless I travel, but the moon and planets are still satisfying.

Here are a few pics from the 2017 solar eclipse.  Look at that line, nothing draws a crowd like a telescope.

TIPuKjN.jpg

BeXAjpv.jpg

Great scopes. My Genesis is the original but its my forever refractor.

• Castor and Colin exraaf like this

#321 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

Bumping back into existence but would specifically like to hear from other Televue 102 owners!

Mike

• Castor and RadioAstronomer like this

#322 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Bumping back into existence but would specifically like to hear from other Televue 102 owners!

Mike

TV 102 owner here.

The scope is great, build like most TVs, and for planetary observers like me it has the added benefit of having a slow(ish) focal ratio. My sample is incredibly sharp with a surprisingly slow amount of spherical aberration: you really need to look carefully to see any difference between the in-focus diffraction pattern and the out of focus pattern. Compared to an excellent sample of an SW 100 Pro ED, the TV 102 is sharper, but has more CA. I'm a visual observer and personally I don't care about a slight amount of CA. I know that Wolfgang Rohr has called the TV 102 "Semi-Apo" and I do agree with this definition. You see a slight purple halo around planets and brighter stars, but the figure of the lens is superb. Significantly better than my SW 100 Pro ED. And I'm talking about a "cherry picked" SW 100 Pro Ed (I ordered several samples from Amazon, kept the best one and returned the rest). 

I found my TV 102 for a steal in the "other site". I highly recommend it to lunar, planetary and double star observers.

• ckwastro, Mike W, Erik Bakker and 2 others like this

#323 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

Do I need want a TV76, in preference to any other short OTA 75mm?

I have a Pronto (which I am giving to my brother with some eyepieces for Christmas), and a TV85.

But a 76 has an allure of its own. Either green or ivory. 

I want one, but its the price putting me off. There are more pre-owned 85s than 76s on the market & where I live, zilch.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TV76.htm

Edited by 25585, 08 November 2019 - 12:55 PM.

• Castor likes this

#324 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

Do I need want a TV76, in preference to any other short OTA 75mm?

I have a Pronto (which I am giving to my brother with some eyepieces for Christmas), and a TV85.

But a 76 has an allure of its own. Either green or ivory. 

I want one, but its the price putting me off. There are more pre-owned 85s than 76s on the market & where I live, zilch.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TV76.htm

Not sure if this will help you with your decision. But here is a pic of my TV 102 alongside my TV 76 just for kicks :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1609.jpg

• Mike W, Erik Bakker, Castor and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics