•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell me about your Televue Telescope

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#401 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:20 PM

Curious to know what mount/tripod setup you are using on your scope on the right side of the photo. Thanks, Mark

Mark, it’s a Desert Sky Astro DSV-M mount with an 8” pier extension on a Gitzo 5 series carbon tripod. It’s my light weight travel setup.

• Mike W, Erik Bakker, BravoFoxtrot and 1 other like this

#402 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:24 AM

Woke up early this morning to some finally clear skies. I had already set up the Genesis in the garage to help with acclimation in anticipation of a possibly clear morning and was rewarded. Got a chance to try out the new 9x50 finder and Focusmate 2 speed focuser and I must say I was very pleased with both. Especially the focuser. Made focusing at higher powers a breeze and is very smooth. While viewing I took in the ring nebula, Albireo (just beautiful), Jupiter, Saturn and Mars this morning. The new focuser really made focusing the Jup’s bands easy.  Set up the Nikon for a nice photo op capturing the planetary trifecta in the background. Coffee was good too! All in all a great morning!

Approx 60 sec exposure, sorry for the trailing.

B24F76E9-DB6A-436F-8D1D-8D6DD0EB74DC.jpeg

Edited by Compressorguy, 02 April 2020 - 07:25 AM.

• jimandlaura26, stevew, Mike W and 10 others like this

#403 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:23 AM

Here is mine...  a TV76 that is "OK" optically.  I purchased it for mostly daytime use, but also some very quick looks at night.  I replaced the TV softcase with a Pelican case.  Photos below.

Attached Thumbnails

• Green.jpg
  • IMG_3785 (Custom).JPG
  • IMG_3784 (Custom).JPG

• jimandlaura26, doctordub, Mike W and 9 others like this

#404 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:28 AM

Very nice setup!

#405 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

Very nice setup!

Sorry to hear your Tele Vue 76 is just “OK” optically. They have an excellent reputation. Mark

• Astroman007 likes this

#406 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:29 PM

Sorry to hear your Tele Vue 76 is just “OK” optically. They have an excellent reputation. Mark

Do you see the test bench image I posted above, and do you understand what its documenting?  Serious question, not trying to be snarky or snippy.

I've tested a lot of TeleVue OTA's in the last 25 years or so and while I have never seen a horrible sample, the quality has run the gamat from diffraction limited to near perfect.

• Erik Bakker, eros312 and OldManSky like this

#407 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:32 PM

Very nice setup!

Thanks.  You too.  Its much easier to travel with the hard case.

#408 caronb

caronb

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:40 PM

Do you see the test bench image I posted above, and do you understand what its documenting?  Serious question, not trying to be snarky or snippy.

I've tested a lot of TeleVue OTA's in the last 25 years or so and while I have never seen a horrible sample, the quality has run the gamat from diffraction limited to near perfect.

Could you give a simple explanation of what the problem is?

• Astroman007 likes this

#409 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:20 PM

I noticed you have no tray between the tripod legs. Do you find that not having a tray makes the tripod easier for moving? Setting up? Viewing?  Thinking of taking my tray off of my Televue Panoramic Mount. Thanks, Mark

I have a tray. Not using it does make carrying easier, especially over a shoulder!

• Astroman007 likes this

#410 25585

Cosmos

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:22 PM

How do 102s normally score?

#411 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:27 PM

Here is mine...  a TV76 that is "OK" optically.  I purchased it for mostly daytime use, but also some very quick looks at night.  I replaced the TV softcase with a Pelican case.  Photos below.

Great minds thinking alikegrin.gif

B25E6516-18F0-4F77-B82B-275B0AE68BCA.jpeg

Edited by Spikey131, 02 April 2020 - 03:32 PM.

• jimandlaura26, peleuba, Erik Bakker and 4 others like this

#412 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:36 PM

Could you give a simple explanation of what the problem is?

Yes.  The lens suffers from about ¼ wave spherical under-correction.  I posted the green image as the design should be near perfect in green - its not.  If it were the bars would be straight and not curved.  Most (all?) ED doublets are designed to be nulled in green.  Null is another way of saying "no error".

With these TV doublets the spacing is adjusted at TeleVue to give best spherical correction.  But there is no free lunch as adjusting the spacing between the two pieces of glass also affects the color correction.  The technician doing the work has to find the happy medium. 

Edited by peleuba, 02 April 2020 - 04:37 PM.

• Erik Bakker, Kunama, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#413 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:13 PM

TV-102 reporting for lunar duty.

Attached Thumbnails

• wds.jpg
  • wds2.jpg

• jimandlaura26, peleuba, Deep13 and 18 others like this

#414 25585

Cosmos

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:20 PM

Another TV on the way soon (I hope). Kinda sorta bucket list.

• stevew, m9x18 and MarkGregory like this

#415 25585

Cosmos

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:30 AM

On its way to me hamsterdance.gif choo-choo.gif bounce.gif

• m9x18 likes this

#416 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:56 PM

This is disappointing to hear. I always thought that the optics in Televue scopes were as well made as the mechanics. 

The Genesis SDF I owned was excellent, as was my Pronto, apart from the chromatic aberration in the Pronto.

#417 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:28 AM

TV-102 reporting for lunar duty.

Your telescope looks like the perfect, classic refractor. This is what I see when I think about the term “telescope.” Mark

• Astroman007 likes this

#418 gjanke

gjanke

Ranger 4

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:15 AM

This is disappointing to hear. I always thought that the optics in Televue scopes were as well made as the mechanics. 

The Genesis SDF I owned was excellent, as was my Pronto, apart from the chromatic aberration in the Pronto.

I’m not clear what you’re disappointed about.

In astronomy, a diffraction-limited measurement for a telescope is one that reaches the resolution of the theoretically limit for the size of the refactor's lenses in a test environment. However when using a telescope from your backyard it works at a much lower resolution than the diffraction limit because of the distortion introduced by viewing through miles of turbulent atmosphere. So, and Paul please correct me, he isn’t saying that Televue telescopes are bad performers at all. In fact, quite the opposite, at minimum it’s a solid instrument and some examples perform even better. However Paul should have the last word....

Edited by gjanke, 08 April 2020 - 12:45 PM.

• m9x18, doole, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#419 caronb

caronb

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:58 AM

I do not have any technical knowledge about optics however the word "disappointing" is not one that I would ever use regarding my TV-85.  What I see when I look through this instrument pleases me greatly every time and that's all I care about.  I'm not dismissing Paul's test results as irrelevant because I'm sure they matter to some users.  For me, an average user with average knowledge, the small anomalies that might exist do not reduce the enjoyment I get from my beautiful telescope.  I feel sure that with my level of knowledge my TV-85 is probably "over qualified" for me.

• stevew, ryderc1, ianatcn and 3 others like this

#420 25585

Cosmos

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:51 AM

Slightly longer would be perfect for a TV-85.

#421 m9x18

m9x18

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:45 PM

All I know is I'm VERY happy with my TV-85 & TV-102. Hard to describe but there is something very special about every view through them. 

Edited by m9x18, 08 April 2020 - 04:21 PM.

• Mike W, Swamp Fox, MarkGregory and 5 others like this

#422 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:31 PM

All I know is I'm VERY happy with my TV-85 & TV-102. Hard to describe but there is something very special about every view through either one. 

I agree. I have a TV-85.  Over the years I have peaked through many telescopes, When I received my TV-85 and looked at the Moon with it for the first time, I exclaimed out loud, “Wow.” I still have that feeling to this day. As Al Nagler often says, this truly is the “Goldilocks” scope. 

• m9x18, gjanke, 25585 and 1 other like this

#423 doole

doole

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

My NP101. I regretted selling my SDF almost immediately after I sold it and recently picked up this beautiful, like new NP101. Came with all the original accessories, case, diagonal, mounting ring, etc.

...Dear to my heart. (I have an 85 and a 127...)
  • MarkGregory and 25585 like this

#424 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:51 PM

I’m not clear what you’re disappointed about.

In astronomy, a diffraction-limited measurement for a telescope is one that reaches the resolution of the theoretically limit for the size of the refactor's lenses in a test environment. However when using a telescope from your backyard it works at a much lower resolution than the diffraction limit because of the distortion introduced by viewing through miles of turbulent atmosphere. So, and Paul please correct me, he isn’t saying that Televue telescopes are bad performers at all. In fact, quite the opposite, at minimum it’s a solid instrument and some examples perform even better. However Paul should have the last word....

It's just that diffraction limited is a term I associate with Celestron SCTs not Televue refractors.

I assumed that Televue optics would be more consistent from one example to another.

Don't get me wrong, I have never looked through a Televue that I thought was bad, but at Televue prices I would expect better than diffraction limited which I expect most are.

#425 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

Let me preface my comments with this:  I am a big fan of TeleVue - especially their eyepieces owning complete sets of some of their more modern designs as well as the Plossls.  The only non-TV eyepieces I own are a set of Fujiyama Orthoscopics I had imported from Japan a few years back. 

I am also a big fan of testing telescopes in a manner mitigates personal bias and brand loyalty as much as possible.

I have tested a fair number of TeleVue telescopes since the early 2000's.   None have been horrible.  Two have been truly excellent.  Most have been in the middle. 

Speaking only for myself,  I don't purchase TeleVue refractors for the optics as there are too many other manufacturers who are turning out very nice lenses for less money.  When you buy TeleVue, you are buying into a system (and Al's vision) where everything - the telescope, the eyepieces and the accessories all work together in an observing package that is very tough to beat from a usability and durability standpoint.  This is a case where the complete system is greater then the sum of its parts.     

I did not buy my TV76 for it to be the best optically - if this is all I was concerned about, I would have purchased a diff product.  I did buy it to use as a daytime spotting telescope and a low to medium power scope for ultra quick looks at night - its too aperture limited to be a high power planetary telescope.   For daytime, the green color and robust build is appealing to me.  At night the ability to setup quickly with accessories that work well together is also appealing.  And its quite portable.

In any event, the last thing I want to mention is this:  I really believe that the majority of folks simply don't know how to test their own telescopes, so have no idea of where it falls on the quality curve.  I know there is an assumption that TeleVue has some of the best optics - and this is why I posted my test results.  Its a nice telescope, but not optically superb.  I bet most of yours are similar.

Edited by peleuba, 09 April 2020 - 07:09 PM.

• stevew, Erik Bakker, rerun and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics