•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell me about your Televue Telescope

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#26 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:14 AM

The full family photo.

2.jpg

• Scott Beith, stevew, Mike W and 19 others like this

#27 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:25 AM

The full family photo.

attachicon.gif 2.jpg

Now that's a good looking family!

• alnitak22 and caronb like this

#28 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Not a scientific test, sometimes the seeing will affect a smaller aperture less. Also which Taks? 

It was quite illuminating to use just the TV85 and TV76 side by side over long sessions for 4 nights in a row. The changing sky night on night made a huge difference to the observing. I would rather have my TV76 on the best night versus my NP101 on the worse night. The sky is indeed a great equalizer.

I have used every Tak refractor that is currently available. Probably 30 or so different samples. They have all appeared essentially perfect to my eye. Tak just seem to get their optics spot on.

• Mike W, Erik Bakker, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#29 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

TV102 - satin finish

Gibraltar tripod - ash 21lb

5 head - larger bearing

Parallax rings, 3"x8" base with a 2" bridge

TV Starbeam - finder

TV eyepiece caddy, DM-18" straight handle, 2" Everbright and 1.25" 60° Everbright diagonals

Dereck

Good to hear from another 102 owner! Though mine is not satin but that's ok it matches my Oracle.

#30 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

It was quite illuminating to use just the TV85 and TV76 side by side over long sessions for 4 nights in a row. The changing sky night on night made a huge difference to the observing. I would rather have my TV76 on the best night versus my NP101 on the worse night. The sky is indeed a great equalizer.

I have used every Tak refractor that is currently available. Probably 30 or so different samples. They have all appeared essentially perfect to my eye. Tak just seem to get their optics spot on.

If I ever get a clear night here that's not 10 below I'll get the 102 and Oracle out together and see how they complement each other. Of course seeing will be a big factor! I would rarely get the skies that you get in Australia.

• JoeBftsplk, alnitak22 and Terra Nova like this

#31 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

I think there is a slight sample to sample variation in the TV scopes that I have not seen myself in the Tak scopes. I have an outstanding TV76 that out paces the TV85 on many objects, the Trapezium being one as in your example. I could see the E and F in the TV76 but only the E in the TV85.

I’d be wary of using the E and F stars as a qualitative test of optics...even in side by sides as momentary fluctuations in seeing can skew results. Having said that....ha!...I had many side by sides with my friend’s Tak FS78 and my TV85 over a period of years. The Trap was a frequent target. We got 6 stars in the Trap on more than a few occasions but there was never a night that one scope would show 6 and the other wouldn’t. There were times however that we thought that might be the case as one would not show all 6...but then a few minutes later it would. There were many nights as well where neither small refractor would show the F star...E being fairly routine...but my 6” Newt set up nearby showed all 6 easily. Aperture is your friend for this object. And incidentally...I’ve seen the E star many times in my Ranger over the years, but have never gotten F. I know it’s possible in 70mm and even lower, but it takes a really steady night. As for the 6” f/8 Newt...I kept a log for a bit when I first got it. Ah, youth! At any rate, my Trap entries showed the Newt showed 6 stars in the Trap 29 times out of the first 30 I tried. I didn’t see much use continuing logging that particular event after that.

• Mike W, la200o, Allan Wade and 1 other like this

#32 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

If I ever get a clear night here that's not 10 below I'll get the 102 and Oracle out together and see how they complement each other. Of course seeing will be a big factor! I would rarely get the skies that you get in Australia.

I have dark skies at my astro property with generally very good transparency, but the seeing is a bit variable. It's hard to find nights when you get the perfect trifecta, but those sessions are ones you never forget.  

• Mike W and Rollo like this

#33 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

1997 - bought a TV Pronto package including a Panoramic mount, and Quickpoint from Pocono Optics

1999 - bought a newly released TV-85 and sold the Pronto

2013 - bought a TV-60 for a spotting scope and quick sessions 

2015 - bought a  TV-76, optically great, too many cosmetic flaws to keep, sent it back after TV declined a replacement

2015 - bought a used NP-101 package on AM that was local and ended up being a fellow club member

I still own the TV-85 as it has been all over the country and never let me down. The little TV-60 is a blast and is in my kitchen to enjoy the birds at our feeder. The NP-101 stays at a summer cottage and my Coronado 90mm H-Alpha filter screws on to the front without any adapter. Overall a good history with my TV scopes except for the poor  experience with the flawed TV-76

Edited by Jeff Gardner, 23 February 2019 - 10:42 AM.

• Mike W, alnitak22 and TerryWood like this

#34 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

Here's a photo of my TV Oracle-3 on my Panoramic

IMG_4768.jpg

Edited by Mike W, 23 February 2019 - 10:35 AM.

• Scott Beith, Erik Bakker, Rollo and 11 others like this

#35 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

And my TV102 on my Gibraltar

IMG_4769.jpg

Edited by Mike W, 23 February 2019 - 10:35 AM.

• Scott Beith, Erik Bakker, Rollo and 9 others like this

#36 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:14 AM

Bought a brand new TV-85 a few years ago from a TV dealer at a greatly discounted price.  It's the newer model with the two speed focuser.  First light was the full moon.  I had never seen Luna with such contrast and detail in any other scope, including other very nice scopes I own/owned.  When telling my daughter about the scope I made the analogy of the TV-85 being like a Maserati, compared to my other "luxury sedans".  The Maserati nickname stuck.  Over the years it has proven to be a great visual and imaging scope.

Ed D

Edited by Ed D, 23 February 2019 - 11:17 AM.

• Scott Beith, stevew, ryderc1 and 3 others like this

#37 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

And my TV102 on my Gibraltar

attachicon.gif IMG_4769.jpg

Love the Oracle on Panoramic pic....but this set-up is a work of art!

• Mike W and TerryWood like this

#38 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:56 PM

Only have a Genesis SDF at present, but have had 2 of the original f/5 Genesis models, TV85, Pronto, Ranger, and TV102i. Each had it's own place and use over the years but my first Genesis and the TV102i got the most use. The SDF is a wonderful scope and I use it on a number of mounts from a Gibraltar, Celestron SE and iOptron 25 depending on my mood.

I have two Brandon 94s that fill the niche that the TV85 used to fill, and 4 Short Tube 80s for the wide field stuff just for fun.

The TV102i accompanied me to Australia in 2005 along with a Gibraltar mount/Argo Navis combo. Had a blast looking up globular clusters brighter than Mag 9 one night.

• stevew, Mike W, alnitak22 and 5 others like this

#39 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

Not a lot to say.....yet but excited to read about your experiences and looking forward to my own. I got a vintage ‘84-‘85 Renaissance (early model bolt on focuser) on a Panoramic mount a couple weeks ago and it’s been seemingly raining ever since. New scope curse. Did have a couple nights with it and was completely mesmerized with the views. First time using such a scope and felt like falling into the eyepiece. What an awesome and beautiful scope! Here’s to many memorable views with the Renaissance. 

C2572731-9E95-4F48-9D67-5F1BC293DAEA.jpeg

• Scott Beith, Deep13, stevew and 19 others like this

#40 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:22 PM

Not a lot to say.....yet but excited to read about your experiences and looking forward to my own. I got a vintage ‘84-‘85 Renaissance (early model bolt on focuser) on a Panoramic mount a couple weeks ago and it’s been seemingly raining ever since. New scope curse. Did have a couple nights with it and was completely mesmerized with the views. First time using such a scope and felt like falling into the eyepiece. What an awesome and beautiful scope! Here’s to many memorable views with the Renaissance. 

attachicon.gif C2572731-9E95-4F48-9D67-5F1BC293DAEA.jpeg

Is that a Radian or a Delite in your Renaissance?

Mike

#41 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:34 PM

Is that a Radian or a Delite in your Renaissance?

Mike

Looks like an 8 Radian.

#42 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:43 AM

https://stargazerslo...-apo-refractor/  nice YT review of the 85.

• Ed D likes this

#43 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

It’s a 8mm Radian. The only one I have and the most I’ve ever spent on an eyepiece but glad I did. It’s my “goto” eyepiece. I’ll never part with it. Would really like your thoughts on other Radians to complement this scope and have been trying to find/read threads on such. I’m thinking a 4mm, 12mm and a 18mm. Maybe a 6mm also. I would think this would cover “most” of my viewing. Low to high, 30x to 137x. I have a 2x Barlow for multiple combinations. Is this sound thinking from your experiences? I really like the Radians, although never had experience with Naglers, Pan’s, etc but also concerned about cost and would definitely look for used. Also would love to find a feather touch focuser!

Edited by Compressorguy, 24 February 2019 - 08:40 AM.

• Mike W likes this

#44 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

It’s a 8mm Radian. The only one I have and the most I’ve ever spent on an eyepiece but glad I did. It’s my “goto” eyepiece. I’ll never part with it. Would really like your thoughts on other Radians to complement this scope and have been trying to find/read threads on such. I’m thinking a 4mm, 12mm and a 18mm. Maybe a 6mm also. I would think this would cover “most” of my viewing. Low to high, 30x to 137x. I have a 2x Barlow for multiple combinations. Is this sound thinking from your experiences? I really like the Radians, although never had experience with Naglers, Pan’s, etc but also concerned about cost and would definitely look for used. Also would love to find a feather touch focuser!

If you like the radians, try the Delos or Delites.  

Jmd 

• Neptune likes this

#45 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: Portishead, SW England - mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

I've owned many Tele Vue eyepieces over the years but just the one TV scope - a nice old Ranger that I picked up pre-owned as a travel / quick grab and go scope. I've been very impressed by the little Ranger. It's objective is clearly well figured and maintains nice crisp images up to 150x. CA is well controlled (though it's not an apo by any stretch) and not intrusive to my eye. The scope has often got me out there observing when I was in two minds whether to bother, and thats got to be good smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• r70dstar02.JPG

Edited by John Huntley, 24 February 2019 - 10:30 AM.

• Scott Beith, Mike W, Rollo and 2 others like this

#46 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

I have the 18, 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6 Radian (Also 24 pan) and they work great in my TV102 and Oracle. The Delites have a little better optics but I don't see it unless I compare them side to side. One thing I like better about the Radians is that in the dark four clicks up and my eye placement is all set. If they ever loosen that can be adjusted. PM me for instructions. Like you, since I received my new to me Oracle and Panoramic mount the skies have been crap! A two speed focuser at your f5/5 would be helpful, not needed with my 102 @ f8.6.

Edited by Mike W, 24 February 2019 - 11:03 AM.

#47 bbyrd

bbyrd

Messenger

• Loc: Inner Banks NC

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

I have owned 

2 TeleVue Genesis (1 being serial # 1001)

1 TeleVue 76

2 TeleVue 85 (still have 1)

Televue 60

Televue does a good job engineering their scopes. It’s my favorite design. Still my favorite has been FS78 NSV optics but due to age and short infrequent viewing sessions will be selling the FS78 NSV and keeping the TV85.

#48 EV1970VE

EV1970VE

Lift Off

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:42 PM

I’ve owned and sold off 4 Televue scopes over the years. A TV Pronto, a TV 85, an original f5 Genesis and an SDF Genesis in that exact order. All were fantastic but the one I greatly regret selling is the Pronto. I’d buy that back again in a heartbeat. Viewing through the Pronto just fills you with joy. Hard to describe you just have to experience it. The original Genesis was my second favorite of the 4 I owned. But man, that Pronto used to really fire off those endorphins. Miss it...

#49 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:14 PM

My only Televue scope is the Genesis SDF 4” F5.4. I have wanted one since they first came out in the ‘90s but didn’t get it until last year. It normally rides on the heavier, older Gibralter mount from the same period. However, I didn’t like the way the clamshell attached to the Gibralter, having to balance the scope on the saddle plate while feeding the bolts up through the saddle plate holes and threading them into the clamshell. I was always afraif that either the scope would slide off and hit the ground or I would crossthread the bolts or maar the bottom of the clamshell. So I ordered a set of Parallax rings and here is the result. There are two countersunk 1/4-20 mounting studs that are threaded downward throuh the mounting plate. The black plastic wingnuts which look just like Televue came from Lowes. They have 1/4-20 threaded  brass inserts.  I also made an aluminum top-plate to which I attached this handy stainless steel carry handle that goes across the top of the rings. The handle makes carrying, mounting, and dismounting th OTA a piece of cake!

Attached Thumbnails

• 24720B94-3AD2-41ED-9315-AC0FCE411208.jpeg
  • EC43B5E6-8F3B-4203-8D8E-0575A3369F0C.jpeg

• Paul Schroeder, Scott Beith, stevew and 10 others like this

#50 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

I had a 4” finder ring made by Ken’s Rings a few years ago that fits the tube perfectly. I has a Baader mounting shoe attached. This way I can use my illuminated 50mm Lumicon finder. Here it is in a Baader finder bracket:

Attached Thumbnails

• FDD6779E-AE53-4FF8-901B-0A0B9C3A45ED.jpeg

• Scott Beith, Mike W, alnitak22 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics