•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell me about your Televue Telescope

• Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

#601 Delta608

Delta608

Apollo

• Loc: Aiken S.C. Formally of Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

Stay away....

https://www.bbb.org/...7198/complaints

#602 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:34 PM

Warm weather is just around the corner and my TV102 is primed and ready for some nice double stars, clusters etc!

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, Kutno, ianatcn and 3 others like this

#603 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:51 PM

Your Televue looks best on the green grass of spring - summer  than the white snow of winter

Hurry  Springtime 

Green Grass and High Tides Forever

• Mike W and 25585 like this

#604 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:41 AM

Not waiting for Spring.....coldday.gif coldday.gif coldday.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 2C0F7E90-EF34-41FB-862A-0C75DA77C83E.jpeg

• Mike W, Ken Sturrock, ianatcn and 2 others like this

#605 laedco58

laedco58

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesnowda

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:01 PM

deer.jpg

Shure sign that spring is on it's way.... I can see the deer moving around again.

• Mike W, Swamp Fox, Kutno and 8 others like this

#606 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

I recently added a second TeleVue to my scope family. I always wanted a green Pronto and I have a Panoramic Mount and Ashwood Tripod. It will be a nice little brother for my TV Genesis SDF on its Gibralter mount. I need to take a family portrait when the weather warms up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0AFA8E64-3FCD-4CC4-8850-C19833B1713D.jpeg

• Brent, Mike W, Lewis Cason and 7 others like this

#607 cloudswimmer

cloudswimmer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:26 PM

My brother in law gave me his 2003 era TV-85 a week or so ago, it came with a Tele-Pod and brass topped walnut tripod. I took the tripod adapter column off and stuck it on my Ries A100 tripod with tilt head .. so it’s kinda like having a Celestron wedge or something. He lost the diagonal, so I just bought a Televue 2” Everbright and tried my best eyepiece on it .. a Parks 30mm Gold Series .. and looked at some birds .. pretty sharp. So today I ordered a Farpoint D dovetail plate and plan to stick it on my EQ6-R Pro mount, and I ordered the ADM dovetail adapter so I can easily put it back on the Tele-Pod if needed. So I’m thinking this might be cool for the sun and have started looking at filters .. maybe a  Baader Herschel Prism and HA filter, how are the views in these with a Quark Chromosphere? Would it be worth getting a Daystar Quantum for this? I’ve never seen a Quark .. but I use to use our shop Daystar Quantum in the early 90’s when I worked at Astro-Track Engineering building mounts, I used it on my old orange C8 and could see the whole sun disk with both excellent detail on the surface as well as prominences at the same time, can you see the whole sun disk with a Quark? 1.2k for a Quark vs 8k for a Quantum sure is attractive .. but I’m wondering if I’m going to be disappointed compared to what I use to see? Also need some eyepieces for this TV-85 .. what would be a good Televue eyepiece setup for this around the 1k range for planets, moon, and Sun? I like long eye relief.

50953868068_7c589a82ba_c_d.jpg

Edited by cloudswimmer, 22 February 2021 - 06:28 PM.

• Mike W, Lewis Cason, Ken Sturrock and 3 others like this

#608 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

You will not see a full solar disk with a Quark.  The Quark has a built in 4x teleconverter (sorta like a Barlow).  So even with a 32mm Plossl, you will not get a full disk.

But so what?  Unless you are doing photography, why would you want to see the whole disk at once?  I want to see details, the subtle structure of proms and active regions.  I don’t get this desire to see a full solar disk for visual solar astronomy.

• Mike W likes this

#609 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:03 PM

I recently added a second TeleVue to my scope family. I always wanted a green Pronto and I have a Panoramic Mount and Ashwood Tripod. It will be a nice little brother for my TV Genesis SDF on its Gibralter mount. I need to take a family portrait when the weather warms up.

They are nice Terra. I bought a green 85 I liked my green Pronto so much. Gave the Pronto to my brother so its still in the family. :)

• Terra Nova likes this

#610 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:14 PM

My brother in law gave me his 2003 era TV-85 a week or so ago, it came with a Tele-Pod and brass topped walnut tripod. I took the tripod adapter column off and stuck it on my Ries A100 tripod with tilt head .. so it’s kinda like having a Celestron wedge or something. He lost the diagonal, so I just bought a Televue 2” Everbright and tried my best eyepiece on it .. a Parks 30mm Gold Series .. and looked at some birds .. pretty sharp. So today I ordered a Farpoint D dovetail plate and plan to stick it on my EQ6-R Pro mount, and I ordered the ADM dovetail adapter so I can easily put it back on the Tele-Pod if needed. So I’m thinking this might be cool for the sun and have started looking at filters .. maybe a  Baader Herschel Prism and HA filter, how are the views in these with a Quark Chromosphere? Would it be worth getting a Daystar Quantum for this? I’ve never seen a Quark .. but I use to use our shop Daystar Quantum in the early 90’s when I worked at Astro-Track Engineering building mounts, I used it on my old orange C8 and could see the whole sun disk with both excellent detail on the surface as well as prominences at the same time, can you see the whole sun disk with a Quark? 1.2k for a Quark vs 8k for a Quantum sure is attractive .. but I’m wondering if I’m going to be disappointed compared to what I use to see? Also need some eyepieces for this TV-85 .. what would be a good Televue eyepiece setup for this around the 1k range for planets, moon, and Sun? I like long eye relief.

24 panoptic and the rest Delites.

• Grounddweller likes this

#611 cloudswimmer

cloudswimmer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 PM

You will not see a full solar disk with a Quark.  The Quark has a built in 4x teleconverter (sorta like a Barlow).  So even with a 32mm Plossl, you will not get a full disk.

But so what?  Unless you are doing photography, why would you want to see the whole disk at once?  I want to see details, the subtle structure of proms and active regions.  I don’t get this desire to see a full solar disk for visual solar astronomy.

Ahh ok thanks for that info, yeah I do photography, and use to really enjoy full disk as well as zoomed in views in our Daystar Quantum .. to each his own.

#612 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted Today, 07:32 PM

Over the past 20-some years:

TV-76 (I'm on my 4th, and the only TV I still own)

TV-85

TV-102

NP-127

I've regretted selling the 102 - and every time I sold my TV-76, I eventually replaced it with a newer version.  Started with the glossy focuser, single-thumbscrew, chrome drawtube, and now have the satin focuser with black drawtube, double thumbscrews, and two-speed focuser.  I think I'll keep this one.. smile.gif

#613 Grounddweller

Grounddweller

Vostok 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic Coast, U.S.A.

Posted Today, 09:18 PM

Over the past 20-some years:

TV-76 (I'm on my 4th, and the only TV I still own)

TV-85

TV-102

NP-127

I've regretted selling the 102 - and every time I sold my TV-76, I eventually replaced it with a newer version.  Started with the glossy focuser, single-thumbscrew, chrome drawtube, and now have the satin focuser with black drawtube, double thumbscrews, and two-speed focuser.  I think I'll keep this one.. smile.gif

Thank you for stating this, I have seen this comment too many times to ever allow myself to fall into the folly of selling mine unless severe financial strains warranted it ( and even then it would have to be considered the “nuclear” option)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics