•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell me about your Televue Telescope

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#51 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

I don’t have SkyTour on my Gibralter mount but I do like Sky Safari which will give you the altitude and azimuth of any object in the sky that you wish to find. I bought an illuminated digital level accurate to 1/10° that can go right across the top of the rings, and this used in conjunction with my illuminated Silva compass adjusted for magnetic declination is accurate to find most any object in a low power eyepiece.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8A8F6DED-12F7-4EC2-8943-1F607A6A44C8.jpeg

• Scott Beith, stevew, Mike W and 5 others like this

#52 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

For casual star gazing, I often don’t want to use want to use my 50mm Lumicon finder, but I have a Baader Sky Surfer that works great in the Baader finder shoe on the finder ring:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3668853D-B284-4FD9-BA2F-745B9426FF48.jpeg

• Scott Beith, Mike W, Phil Cowell and 6 others like this

#53 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:29 PM

And If I want to use mx Genesis SDF on my driven german Equatorial Mount, I put an ADM vixen mounting rail on my original TV clamshell, and of course, the TV Starbeam goes across the top and perfectly complements the 50mm Lumican righ angle finder further back.

Attached Thumbnails

• CBAEE4D9-8A44-4E05-8663-9C59E52B751D.jpeg

• Scott Beith, Mike W, TerryWood and 2 others like this

#54 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:31 PM

I’ve owned and sold off 4 Televue scopes over the years. A TV Pronto, a TV 85, an original f5 Genesis and an SDF Genesis in that exact order. All were fantastic but the one I greatly regret selling is the Pronto. I’d buy that back again in a heartbeat. Viewing through the Pronto just fills you with joy. Hard to describe you just have to experience it. The original Genesis was my second favorite of the 4 I owned. But man, that Pronto used to really fire off those endorphins. Miss it...

I have the father to the Pronto, the Televue Oracle. It's not an ED doublet but a triplet so CA is about that of a TV85. Since I got it and my Panoramic mount it's been snowing, raining, cloudy! Soon I hope to actually observe with it!. I'm surprised you liked the Genesis over the SDF? I've had both and definitely preferred the SDF over the Genesis for it's better control of CA. I also had at one time a Ranger which I liked but too much CA for me, shows different scopes for different folks! Here's a photo of my Oracle on the panoramic mount.

IMG_4768.jpg

• Scott Beith, Neptune, rerun and 7 others like this

#55 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

For casual star gazing, I often don’t want to use want to use my 50mm Lumicon finder, but I have a Baader Sky Surfer that works great in the Baader finder shoe on the finder ring:

Nice SDF! Looks like you have things figured out for any occasion, my SDF is one scope I wish I never let go of! BTW what is that observatory in the background?

• Terra Nova likes this

#56 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Mike! That’s part of the Cincinnati Observatory Center. 

• Mike W and TerryWood like this

#57 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

I figured recently I had too many small scopes to do them justice. So I set up a week long show down to determine which one I was going to sell. My idea back fired, as I had so much fun using them both over those nights that I figured I couldn't part with either of them after that. So I made the decision not to make a decision and just hang on to them both.

attachicon.gif 1.jpg

That 76 on the Gitzo/DSVM looks like a perfect grab and go set up!

#58 allen g

allen g

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:34 PM

I love my NP-101 on the DiscMount. Great set up and will never part with it.
  • Mike W, la200o, alnitak22 and 4 others like this

#59 EV1970VE

EV1970VE

Lift Off

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

I have the father to the Pronto, the Televue Oracle. It's not an ED doublet but a triplet so CA is about that of a TV85. Since I got it and my Panoramic mount it's been snowing, raining, cloudy! Soon I hope to actually observe with it!. I'm surprised you liked the Genesis over the SDF? I've had both and definitely preferred the SDF over the Genesis for it's better control of CA. I also had at one time a Ranger which I liked but too much CA for me, shows different scopes for different folks! Here's a photo of my Oracle on the panoramic mount.

attachicon.gif IMG_4768.jpg

Yeah, the SDF definitely had better color control but even though i did peek at Jupiter when the opportunity was there and the moon, i saw the Genesis as mostly a low power sweeper and so CA rarely was an issue. It might also be the slightly larger FOV that I remember fondly when thinking about those scopes?? I should have qualified in that the Genesis SDF was the best of those 4 that i owned, without question but just in terms of which ones i'd love to have back, the Pronto is at the top of my list and the original f5 Genesis I really enjoyed looking through. A 16mmT5 gave a magnification of 32X and a TFOV of ~2.5 degrees. Just awesome!

• Mike W, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#60 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, the SDF definitely had better color control but even though i did peek at Jupiter when the opportunity was there and the moon, i saw the Genesis as mostly a low power sweeper and so CA rarely was an issue. It might also be the slightly larger FOV that I remember fondly when thinking about those scopes?? I should have qualified in that the Genesis SDF was the best of those 4 that i owned, without question but just in terms of which ones i'd love to have back, the Pronto is at the top of my list and the original f5 Genesis I really enjoyed looking through. A 16mmT5 gave a magnification of 32X and a TFOV of ~2.5 degrees. Just awesome!

My Pronto, or rather co-owned Pronto is a neat little scope. I bought a TV 85 in green, I liked the colour enough. Pronto is OK as a rich field grab scope, having a rough diamond charm of its own.

F5 Genesis is also a fine scope. If a SDF was on sale somewhere, I would like one too. My TV scopes get used alongside binoculars, where their higher light grasp and magnification, but with wide FOV allows enough detail. 

Shame the TV 76 is as expensive as it is, ditto NP101s. A Ranger 2 with the 76 optics would be great.

Edited by 25585, 25 February 2019 - 10:23 AM.

• Mike W likes this

#61 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:58 AM

My Pronto, or rather co-owned Pronto is a neat little scope. I bought a TV 85 in green, I liked the colour enough. Pronto is OK as a rich field grab scope, having a rough diamond charm of its own.

F5 Genesis is also a fine scope. If a SDF was on sale somewhere, I would like one too. My TV scopes get used alongside binoculars, where their higher light grasp and magnification, but with wide FOV allows enough detail. 

Shame the TV 76 is as expensive as it is, ditto NP101s. A Ranger 2 with the 76 optics would be great.

Interesting thought! Maybe give Al N. a call and ask him for another ranger, though when you think about it the TV76 is kind of built like a Ranger?

• 25585 likes this

#62 Billx

Billx

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:23 AM

Anyone here ever used the Pronto for imaging?

What were your results?

#63 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:39 AM

I had a TV-85 from 1999 to 2009. My most vivid memory of its use was for the 2003 opposition of Mars. My best views of Mars, ever! I sold it in 2009 to finance my new 14.5" Teeter dob.

Here's a little tribute I did before I sold it. I was just getting into B&W large format still-life and set up a quick shot.

Astronomy Still Life (1 of 1).JPG

• Scott Beith, Mike W, bbyrd and 14 others like this

#64 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

I've owned several TV scopes over the last ~20 years but I'm now down to a single green TV76 that I devote to solar viewing with H-alpha filters.  My favorite pairing is with the Vixen Advanced Polaris mount although I do on occasion still use the scope with either a DM-4 or Giro Ercole for quick and/or tandem views with a white light scope.  I very much enjoy using my TV76 and the Vixen AP for visual and when the sun gets angry again, it will likely be my imaging platform.

TV76_VixenAP_solar_rig.jpg

• Scott Beith, Mike W, Lewis Cason and 7 others like this

#65 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:23 PM

I've owned 2 (no longer own either)...a green-tube TV85, and a first-run NP-101.

Here's a pic of the TV85 on a Losmandy G-11 with a...*film*...camera attached to it (Olympus OM-1):

Astrophotography-101-Imaging-and-guiding

Notice my hi-tech TV85 tube rings, home built so I could attach and use the Orion ST80 guide scope with an ST-4 autoguider...

The TV85 was, um, OK.  Honestly, my current WO scope blows it out of the water for sharpness and color correction.

The NP-101 was a wonderful scope.  A great imager, a great visual treat.  I wish I still had it. :)

• Scott Beith and TerryWood like this

#66 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

I have owned two Televue scopes, a Pronto, purchased around 2001, sold around 2005 and my current NP-101, purchased in 2010.  The Pronto was my first quality refractor but the chromatic aberration sometimes was an issue, primarily when digiscoping and I entered a quest for a better small scope when the ED-80 revolutionized the world of affordable ED/APO refractors.  Nonetheless, I was able to take many fine photos of birds with the Pronto.. 

1698243-stellars Jay CN.jpg
3866678-says phoebe 1.jpg

For me, the NP-101 represents the ultimate 4 inch refractor.  For deep sky, the near 5 degree fields that are essentially perfect are amazing.  The color correction and sharpness take it all they way to Dawes limit doubles and very nice planetary views.  The mechanical construction is well thought out and robust without being heavy. 

5312046-Jon with the NP-101 in his bike clothes.jpg

For eyepieces, the basic set I use with it:

41mm, 35mm, 22mm Panoptics

31mm, 16mm, 11mm, 9mm, 7mm, 5mm, 3.5mm Type 5 and Type 6 Naglers.

21mm, 13mm and 8 mm Ethos.  

The NP-101 is quite demanding of the eyepiece. At F/5.4 is quite fast and it's field correction is excellent so the eyepiece has no where to hide.. 

It is my most used scope in terms of nights observed but both the 16 inch and 22 inch get more total hours of eyepiece time.

Jon

• Scott Beith, doctordub, Mike W and 7 others like this

#67 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

I've owned 2 (no longer own either)...a green-tube TV85, and a first-run NP-101.

Here's a pic of the TV85 on a Losmandy G-11 with a...*film*...camera attached to it (Olympus OM-1):

Astrophotography-101-Imaging-and-guiding

Notice my hi-tech TV85 tube rings, home built so I could attach and use the Orion ST80 guide scope with an ST-4 autoguider...

The TV85 was, um, OK.  Honestly, my current WO scope blows it out of the water for sharpness and color correction.

The NP-101 was a wonderful scope.  A great imager, a great visual treat.  I wish I still had it. smile.gif

So you did a side by side comparison between the TV85 and WO?

#68 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

I have owned two Televue scopes, a Pronto, purchased around 2001, sold around 2005 and my current NP-101, purchased in 2010.  The Pronto was my first quality refractor but the chromatic aberration sometimes was an issue, primarily when digiscoping and I entered a quest for a better small scope when the ED-80 revolutionized the world of affordable ED/APO refractors.  Nonetheless, I was able to take many fine photos of birds with the Pronto.. 

For me, the NP-101 represents the ultimate 4 inch refractor.  For deep sky, the near 5 degree fields that are essentially perfect are amazing.  The color correction and sharpness take it all they way to Dawes limit doubles and very nice planetary views.  The mechanical construction is well thought out and robust without being heavy. 

For eyepieces, the basic set I use with it:

41mm, 35mm, 22mm Panoptics

31mm, 16mm, 11mm, 9mm, 7mm, 5mm, 3.5mm Type 5 and Type 6 Naglers.

21mm, 13mm and 8 mm Ethos.  

The NP-101 is quite demanding of the eyepiece. At F/5.4 is quite fast and it's field correction is excellent so the eyepiece has no where to hide.. 

It is my most used scope in terms of nights observed but both the 16 inch and 22 inch get more total hours of eyepiece time.

Jon

Nice bird photos, that pronto did a pretty good job! 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#69 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:32 AM

Nice bird photos, that pronto did a pretty good job! 

Thank you.. Those are some of my best.  

The Pronto did a good job on those photos.. It's the ones that it messed up that led me down the ED/APO path.  High contrast, a bird against a bright blue sky is tough.

1286235-false color1.jpg

This was taken with an ED scope:

Sharpie-Cooper1 B CN.JPG

Jon

• Scott Beith, Deep13, mountain monk and 2 others like this

#70 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:07 AM

Well that's no new news with the pronto or ranger. You won't get that with the TV76.

#71 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

So you did a side by side comparison between the TV85 and WO?

No :)

I compared images, and went from memory.  I did use the same eyepieces (yeah, I still have the same ones).

It's really no contest, though.  Not even close.

And as much as the WO blows away the TV85, the NP-101 blows away the WO.  

At least the TV85/NP-101/WO samples I have.

#72 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

Well that's no new news with the pronto or ranger. You won't get that with the TV76.

Yep.  The problem with the 76 is the cost.   There are other scopes that are as effective optically that are more affordable .

Jon

#73 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:25 AM

No smile.gif

I compared images, and went from memory.  I did use the same eyepieces (yeah, I still have the same ones).

It's really no contest, though.  Not even close.

And as much as the WO blows away the TV85, the NP-101 blows away the WO.  

At least the TV85/NP-101/WO samples I have.

I am looking at your signature.  I am seeing a 61 mm WO.  Is that the scope we are discussing ?

Jon

#74 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

Yep.  The problem with the 76 is the cost.   There are other scopes that are as effective optically that are more affordable .

Jon

Maybe so Jon but this is a Televue thread. Sometimes with those "other" scopes you have to change out the focuser, buy a case etc. etc. so the price isn't always such a bargain. 

• 25585 likes this

#75 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:29 AM

Maybe so Jon but this is a Televue thread. Sometimes with those "other" scopes you have to change out the focuser, buy a case etc. etc. so the price isn't always such a bargain. 

Sometimes, I guess.  But a used TV-76 is around $1000..  

I wouldn't mind having one but it's too rich for my blood.  My WO Megrez 80 FD does a good job.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics