•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade lx90 autoguiding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Airlid

Airlid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

I have a mead 10 in lx90 ACF that I would like to start autoguiding. I have purchased the Celestron off-axis guider and am in the process purchasing a guide camera for it. I was wondering if anyone else is using this particular telescope and have been successful autoguiding with an off axis guider. So what equipment configuration are you using and what kind of results have you achieved.

Thank you and clear skies

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:24 AM

The perfect guide cam for the Celestron OAG is the ASI174MM-mini. The large prism allows full coverage of the large sensor of the ASI174. 

If the ASI174MM-mini is too pricey, the ASI290MM-mini (with a smaller prism) is also a good guide camera.

What spacers you will need depend on whether you use a reducer or not. 

I don't have your scope, but there should be no problem autoguiding it once you can bring the guide cam and main cam to simultaneous focus (something you can do during the day). If you have a reducer, that will determine how far your camera sensor should be. If you give us information re reducer and main camera, we can offer more suggestions for the imaging train.

#3 Airlid

Airlid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:16 AM

The ASI174mm mini is exactly the camera that I have my eye on for guiding so I was very happy to read you comment. I will be buying it as soon as my accountant (spelled wife) approves the purchase smile.gif I have a ASI120MC that I have been using for planetary work and I have been able to get it into parafocus  with my Canon Rebel T6. I was also told that I could not use a  focal reducer with the Celestron off-axis guider.

#4 Airlid

Airlid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

The good news first,  I just ordered a ASI174mm mini, it should be here the end of next week.

Next question:

Do you let PHD2 do all of the work or do you use the ST4 port on the camera?  Is there an advantage to using one over the other?

#5 Bigdan

Bigdan

Viking 1

• Loc: Panacea, FL

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:26 PM

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of good news for you.  I de-forked my LX-90, because the fork mount could not handle the weight, and there were clearance issues for imaging equipment with the imaging train.  My clearance and weight issues were with adding a filter wheel, and I had a guide scope, so if you are doing OAG, you have even more clearance issues than did I.

Sir.... watch out.  You need to consider de-forking and getting a GEM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics