•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just bought a Coronado Solarmax II 60 DS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix AZ

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

I've wanted a solar scope for a while now. I've kind of wanted to go for a Lunt after reading reviews for the past year, but went with the Coronado. Highpoint Scientific has a sale going, and I scored the Solarmax 60 double stack with 15mm BF for $1648. The equivalent Lunt was $2000 more assuming I went with the feather touch focuser, which is what I wanted. For the price though, I just felt I couldn't skip this sale to get into hydrogen alpha. So I will be using my Celestron Evolution 9.25 mount for tracking with this scope. I ordered the Coronado dovetail that will work with my current mount. Anything else I should shop for? Thanks!
  • Tim Gilliland and rigel123 like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:24 AM

Congrats on the scope! it will blow your pants off, one thing i would recommend as an HA observer is a sun shield, either fashion one from plastic or some other material or maybe buy one, i made one myself out of some thin balsa type wood. It can really mess up your view when you have rays of sun beaming into gaps between your eye and the eyepiece, it makes it far more comfy when your head is shaded. Here's the most important one if you ask me, and this may sound patronizing (sorry) sunscreen, especially when you have a new HA scope, you'll be out in the sun a lot and, easily loose track of how much time you're in the sun, i have burned myself stupid sitting in the sun for hours during outreach programs, paid for it after, putting on aloe with a paint roller.

Edited by Stellar1, 23 February 2019 - 02:25 AM.

#3 Napp

Napp

Apollo

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:15 AM

I would seriously consider replacing the helical focuser with a MoonLite.  I have a SolarMax II 60mm.  I did not like the helical focuser.  The MoonLite was a huge improvement.

• Tim Gilliland likes this

#4 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:24 AM

I would seriously consider replacing the helical focuser with a MoonLite.  I have a SolarMax II 60mm.  I did not like the helical focuser.  The MoonLite was a huge improvement.

I also just recieved my Solarmax II 60. Doublestack. Was changing the focuser much of an issue? I have two moonlight focusers on other scopes and love them. 

#5 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

I've wanted a solar scope for a while now. I've kind of wanted to go for a Lunt after reading reviews for the past year, but went with the Coronado. Highpoint Scientific has a sale going, and I scored the Solarmax 60 double stack with 15mm BF for $1648. The equivalent Lunt was $2000 more assuming I went with the feather touch focuser, which is what I wanted. For the price though, I just felt I couldn't skip this sale to get into hydrogen alpha. So I will be using my Celestron Evolution 9.25 mount for tracking with this scope. I ordered the Coronado dovetail that will work with my current mount. Anything else I should shop for? Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you. And give a Highpoint a huge thumbs up. I recieved my Solarmax II from Highpoint Wednesday. I saw this post, called them this morning and they are refunding the difference in cost with the sale. So thanks!

#6 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

Just wanted to say thank you. And give a Highpoint a huge thumbs up. I recieved my Solarmax II from Highpoint Wednesday. I saw this post, called them this morning and they are refunding the difference in cost with the sale. So thanks!

On my SM90II changing the focuser was really easy and the improvement was enormous.

#7 Napp

Napp

Apollo

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

I also just recieved my Solarmax II 60. Doublestack. Was changing the focuser much of an issue? I have two moonlight focusers on other scopes and love them. 

Changing the focuser on mine was fairly straightforward.  The hardest thing was setting the richview tuner back into the proper range.  I have heard that later versions of the scope may be a bit harder to modify.  I suggest contacting MoonLite and speaking with them about replacing the focuser.  They are very helpful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics