•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

100mm traveltelescope

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wouter1981

Wouter1981

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:20 AM

Although the skywatcher 100mm f5 telescope is already compact telescope for traveling, I believed I could improve on it. I removed the "lip" on the lenscell so the dewshield can slide back. The tube rings are replaced with a dovetail bolted directly to the tube. Just add a 2 speed focuser , paint and polish the tube, some flocking et voila:  a compact 4 inch telescope. Collapsed the tube is only 37 cm (14.6inches) long and fits nicely in my case. The mount is the TS AZT6 -GR which is more than capable to hold the telescope. Don't mind the wooden block, it's just a temporary solution until I find a more suitable tripod. I could save rather much room with a 1.25inch diagonal but for the moment, I'm rather happy with my build.

7DKRU8M.jpg

vka42pN.jpg

mSMHqfm.jpg

Edited by Wouter1981, 23 February 2019 - 05:21 AM.

• plyscope, Tim C, eros312 and 4 others like this

#2 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cordoba, Argentina South America

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

Nice set up!! Good work! I would guess you use it for low powers wide field?

#3 Wouter1981

Wouter1981

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:22 AM

Nice set up!! Good work! I would guess you use it for low powers wide field?

Indeed, high power isn't that great in this telescope. But I did a test yesterday and there is something wrong. The collimation is way of, which is kind of anoying because the lens is not adjustable. So I think it's the focuser that is somehow not aligned. Guess I'll have to buy myself a lasercollimator.

#4 Wouter1981

Wouter1981

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:56 AM

I have had some weird collimation problems. My first star test of the telescope after reassembly wasn't that great, comets everywhere! Apparently there was something wrong with the collimation. Placed my Cheshire in the focuser and.... hmm everything lines up. Placed my laser and the dot was smack in the middle of the lens! Everything looked good with my collimators but still I had cometlike starshapes. I tried a different diagonal, different eyepieces, nothing changed. So I disassembled the lens, placed everything back, checked the alignment again with my Cheshire and laser. No changes. Go back outside and the view is perfect! Nice small pinpoint stars (well it's still a fast achromat) and concentric circles when defocused.

I don't get it why the view in the Cheshire didn't change before and after I removed the lenses. Can a Cheshire be "off" or is there a third item that can be accounted for the bad starshapes?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics