•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarNet: star removing software

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#151 nekitmm

nekitmm

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:05 PM

The removed star areas had a hatch pattern and the sizing didn't match perfectly.

attachicon.gif Image181_clone.jpg

attachicon.gif integration1_clone2_64_clone_clone.jpg

This even showed up in the star mask I created, but a small blur fixed it for my uses.  It could be a number of factors, grungy stars (I know they're not perfect), many of the stars have reflection nebula around them, oversampled stars, stars bleeding into each other, my processing, my stacking, the list goes on.

Don't take this the wrong way.  I think this is a great piece of work, and it gets me 90% of the way to making an effective star mask, something I've struggled with in the past and need to get working as I transition from OSC to RGB to narrowband.

I'd love to be able to assist with training, but I have no decent examples of destarred photos to help with.

EDIT

And an informal poll at work (the guys in my cube and another who's a wedding photographer) all preferred the original to the star reduced version. foreheadslap.gif   I prefer the star reduced version.

Don't worry, I know it does not work perfectly on all data. Just collecting some info on when it does not work so I could try to add relevant training data and make it better.

Thank you!

BTW. I actually also prefer original version!) lol)

#152 pfile

pfile

Aurora

• -----

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

Hi, guys!

The day has come! I am releasing StarNet PI module.

You can find it here: https://sourceforge....Insight_module/.

Only version for Windows is available for now.

Not going to write a lot here, all the information is in the README.txt file. Please read it carefully before usage!

Let me know how how it works for you!

if you want me to build this for OSX, i can do that.

rob

• Andy01, HxPI and CvBadengoth like this

#153 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:05 AM

Hi, guys!

The day has come! I am releasing StarNet PI module.

You can find it here: https://sourceforge....Insight_module/.

Only version for Windows is available for now.

Not going to write a lot here, all the information is in the README.txt file. Please read it carefully before usage!

Let me know how how it works for you!

Thank you for your great effort !

I tried to "install" the files but my anti-virus program (Norton) did not like the file "StarNet-pxm.dll" and removed it automatically. It reported that "WS.Reputation.1" was found. I just wanted to confirm whether the file is fine to install.

Again, Thank you for your great work wink.gif

#154 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Messenger

• Loc: North Metro Atlanta

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Thank you for your great effort !
I tried to "install" the files but my anti-virus program (Norton) did not like the file "StarNet-pxm.dll" and removed it automatically. It reported that "WS.Reputation.1" was found. I just wanted to confirm whether the file is fine to install.
Again, Thank you for your great work wink.gif

That is because it is new and has no reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#155 Andy01

Andy01

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

rob

Hi Rob, Please do! ...as a plug in for Photoshop if at all possible :)

#156 pfile

pfile

Aurora

• -----

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

Hi Rob, Please do! ...as a plug in for Photoshop if at all possible smile.gif

well i need access to the source code... currently the only thing on github is the python code for the non ++ version of starnet.

photoshop is an entirely different beast. that's not something i can do :(

rob

#157 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:35 AM

rob

....that module for Pixinsight OSX would be mega-awesome!

#158 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:56 PM

rob

Adding my voice to the chorus for an macOS PixInsight StarNet module.

Please provide rob with the code so he can help build for mac PI.

#159 nekitmm

nekitmm

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

rob

Thank you, Rob, but in this case it is not that simple, I am getting weird errors when trying to compile in MacOS, so that will need some time and work... 

#160 pfile

pfile

Aurora

• -----

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

well ok, i mean i have a lot of experience working with PCL and have compiled all kinds of modules for people (subframeselector process while under development, carlos milosevic modules, etc.)

what kind of problems are you having?

one common problem is that the makefile generator points to macOS SDK files that no longer exist with newer versions of Xcode/OSX, and another is that the makefiles don't create the right directory hierarchies and so nothing builds because the target directories (x64/Release) do not exist.

rob

Edited by pfile, 09 June 2019 - 09:06 PM.

#161 nekitmm

nekitmm

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

well ok, i mean i have a lot of experience working with PCL and have compiled all kinds of modules for people (subframeselector process while under development, carlos milosevic modules, etc.)

what kind of problems are you having?

one common problem is that the makefile generator points to macOS SDK files that no longer exist with newer versions of Xcode/OSX, and another is that the makefiles don't create the right directory hierarchies and so nothing builds because the target directories (x64/Release) do not exist.

rob

I don't have an access to my laptop right now, and I don't remember the exact errors I got (that was some time ago), but I am pretty sure that the problem is tensorflow-specific, not PCL. If I don't make any calls to TF API, it compiles ok. Only when I try to do anything with TF, I get some weird stuff. I will try to figure it out!

Thank you for the info, by the way, I am glad to know that I can count on you!

BTW, if you know PCL, maybe you can give me some advice. Right now, when StarNet is running, PI freezes and stops responding. Can you maybe give some general advice on how to make it run more smooth? I know the question is a bit vague without the code, but maybe you can give me some ideas! Thank you!

#162 pfile

pfile

Aurora

• -----

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:14 AM

sorry for the late reply - your initial message made me think you were having trouble with the build environment which is a little hard to put together. but you are obviously past that.

regarding the freezing, have you looked thru http://pixinsight.co...html/index.html, specifically the threads section?

i think this module is single threaded:

https://github.com/P...torInstance.cpp

there's a callback there and a console abort enable call that you might be missing? in a single-threaded process i'm not sure if you have to explicitly yield somewhere or not.

the best thing to do would be to join the PI forum and ask - juan would be very excited by your code and would definitely help to get it running smoothly.

rob

#163 pfile

pfile

Aurora

• -----

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

by the way, for fun i compiled tensorflow from scratch, wondering how much performance was being lost to this warning:

2019-06-12 11:32:13.307929: I tensorflow/core/platform/cpu_feature_guard.cc:141] Your CPU supports instructions that this TensorFlow binary was not compiled to use: SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 FMA

same image, 5072x6716 (2x drizzled from 8300M)

shipped tensorflow:                              6656.405u 775.343s 15:35.66 794.2% 0+0k 72+2io 3341pf+0w

tensorflow built with proper machdep: 2681.142u 409.138s 8:24.04 613.1% 0+0k 0+2io 0pf+0w

so yeah, almost a 2x speedup! obviously for most people building tensorflow is not an option but for those that have all the toolchains installed on their machines this is a worthwhile waste of time :)

rob

• darkstar3d and nekitmm like this

#164 pfile

pfile

Aurora

• -----

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

although looking at that more carefully, the stock version had 3341 page faults; i guess i should probably run each 3 times and average the performance. maybe the input file was still mapped into memory when i ran it the 2nd time with the new tensorflow library.

rob

edit: the speedup is real, running 4 times consecutively against each library gives times consistent with the reported numbers above.

Edited by pfile, 13 June 2019 - 02:59 PM.

#165 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Messenger

• Loc: North Metro Atlanta

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

I also wondered about the tensorflow errors. Once I have time, maybe next year :), I can poke around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#166 maxmir

maxmir

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

I installed the PI version. The process does not run. I have message " ** Error: Checkpoint file not found!"
What do I do ?

Max

#167 maxmir

maxmir

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:26 AM

Never mind. Just restarted PI works now.

Thanks
Max

#168 donstim

donstim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle Area, WA USA

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

This is a really nice tool!  Thanks!  Any chance for a GIMP plug-in or script?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics