•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Okie-Tex 2019 registraion open

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

The big announcement this year is that the sponsoring OKC Astronomy Club has reached an agreement with the board of Camp Billy Joe to construct a large building adjacent to the existing dining/exhibitors hall which will replace and be a major upgrade from the large tent used in the past. The building is just the first phase of a major expansion of Okie-Tex facilities at one of the finest dark sky locations in America. We will be seeking donors from past, present and future Okie-Tex attendees, but most of the building costs have already been made available through club member donations and past Okie-Tex receipts, which are held to re-invest in the event. 

OKCAC will be in further touch with supporters about the building and expansion plan. By the way, we surpassed 500 total registrations for only he second time ever this year.

• JNDiller, txmnjim, Phillip Easton and 1 other like this

#52 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

I think wind is going to be an issue this year.  Still I wish I could be there.  Also I'm concerned a about a report of newly installed lights not far from the area...

The paraphrase, the effect of "new lights" has been completely exaggerated.  I see no light pollution in a clear sky.

It was a superb event this year.  It was cloudy until 9:30pm on Saturday night, and it was windy.  We still observered after it cleared because we had short, fast telescopes.  It clouded up Tuesday evening around midnight.  Other than that it was clear skies until I left on Friday morning.

Edited by Mike Lockwood, 28 September 2019 - 11:27 AM.

• okieav8r and Akol47 like this

#53 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:21 AM

I left Saturday after the brisket dinner. The aroma of the brisket smoking all night on Friday into Saturday added to the festivities. I had 6 nights with at least 1 object imaged with a total of 13. Better than last year!  A bit windy at times, but okay. Better luck with the power this year as I put in 30 amp RV plugs on 2 of the long lines on the west side. No power outages there this year. My garden dill pickle chips and dill relish was used at the Cosmic Cafe. A lot of stuff to work on after the come home chores! 

Joe

#54 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: WI

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:34 AM

The big announcement this year is that the sponsoring OKC Astronomy Club has reached an agreement with the board of Camp Billy Joe to construct a large building adjacent to the existing dining/exhibitors hall which will replace and be a major upgrade from the large tent used in the past. The building is just the first phase of a major expansion of Okie-Tex facilities at one of the finest dark sky locations in America. We will be seeking donors from past, present and future Okie-Tex attendees, but most of the building costs have already been made available through club member donations and past Okie-Tex receipts, which are held to re-invest in the event. 

OKCAC will be in further touch with supporters about the building and expansion plan. By the way, we surpassed 500 total registrations for only he second time ever this year.

Is this new building planned to be finished by next year's event?

#55 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

Yes.

#56 Akol47

Akol47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

I had a blast and will be back next year

• DeanS and JNDiller like this

#57 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

GREAT Star Party!  One of my best ever!

Here is a pic of my play ground for last week wink.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• okie1.jpg

• dmdouglass, JNDiller and BobInTexas like this

#58 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

Wow, Dean.  That's a lot of scopes to tote that far and set up/break down.  I am very glad you did not have to deal with bad weather.

BTW, did the ruts from last year get fixed?

• DeanS likes this

#59 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

Ruts mostly gone so not really an issue.  A few on the northeast side but not at all like expected.

Finally a week nice enough to warrant bringing alot of scopes!  AstroTrack was not mine btw but my 130GTX never did get set up. 

I originally had the TEC160 set up for imaging but even on the 1200 it was too much wind so I switched things around.  Ended up with the E160 on the 1200, and FS60C on the 900 is basically bullet proof in the wind.

Dean

• Allan Wade likes this

#60 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:15 PM

Okie-Tex was great this year!  Wind wasn't any more of an issue than in previous years, and I saw no evidence of any new lights.  The good weather almost made up for last year.  Had a lot of fun observing with Mike Lockwood and the rest of the Lockwood Village gang.

• DeanS, mogur and Allan Wade like this

#61 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Okie-Tex was great this year !!!!  

I have just started processing the 16GB of image data I took.

Here is C\2018W2 Africano.  100 x 120 seconds aligned on the comet.  WO 80ED ASI-1600MC-Cool V3 

C2018W2-200m_Cal-AVG-Sat-Curves-5.jpg

Of course I caught a plane in a frame.

I also plan to make an animation of it's motion.

I am tired but happy !!! (^8

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 01 October 2019 - 10:49 PM.

• DeanS, George N, Steve OK and 4 others like this

#62 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:23 PM

I Sigma combined the image stack of C\2018 W2 which removed the stars for the most part then I tried to bring out the very faint tail.

C2018W2_Cal-Sigma-CB-crop-4_LBL-sm.jpg

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 05 October 2019 - 09:23 PM.

• DeanS, dmdouglass, okieav8r and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics