•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Lunar Charts and Moon Maps?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:01 AM

What are the best moon maps or lunar charts for using at the eyepiece? Or, would it be better to use one of the moon map apps and a smartphone/tablet for something like this? When observing the moon, one is hardly worried about maintaining dark adaptation and so the screen brightness shouldn't be too much of a problem. I just don't want to be dragging out a big or expensive book/chart only to have it damaged by the dew.

Also, what are some of the best reference moon maps/books/charts for when safely inside sitting at a desk?

• BFaucett and sunnyday like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

Sky Safari 5 pro is what I use (the latest version I believe is 6).  It has the best lunar map I have ever seen. 

I have the Sky and Telescope reverse moon atlas and it was a pain to try and follow what craters I was looking at. 

*Edit: I tried Virtual Moon Atlas as well, not to my liking 

With Sky Safari, you can zoom as much as you like to match the views perfectly, which was a huge boon to my lunar observing. 

Edited by Tyson M, 27 February 2019 - 09:04 AM.

• doctordub, pugliano, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

If you can surf the web, then almost certainly the LRO QuickMap of Moon (see below screenshot, with the new Nomenclature option turned on and you can zoom in and out to almost any level of detail). You can also click on any label and get additional information on any of the features. It doesn't provide any history or simple prose on the objects, but the image detail and technical data is probably unsurpassed (in my experience).

Attached Thumbnails

• LRO QuickMap.jpg

• WStewart, John Rogers, BFaucett and 4 others like this

#4 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:14 AM

Awesome link, thank you!

#5 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:16 AM

I have Sky Safari Pro 5, but I never thought to use it for the moon. I'll have to give it a try, thanks!

• Tyson M likes this

#6 Cames

Cames

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:14 AM

I use Virtual Moon Atlas on a Windows platform chair-side when viewing the Moon.

It draws a detailed, custom image with terminator specific to your local time.

It has a search feature for lunar structures. 

One can customize the display so that the image is oriented as you see it in your telescope.

The Moon's appearance changes each night as it passes through its monthly phases.  Because shadows change the view so completely, it was very difficult for me to orient myself to the lunar terrain from night-to-night. The phase simulation is very helpful in orienting myself to its ever-changing face.

------------

C

• Carl Kolchak and agmoonsolns like this

#7 Michael2

Michael2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:40 AM

Sky Safari 5 pro is what I use (the latest version I believe is 6).  It has the best lunar map I have ever seen. 

I have the Sky and Telescope reverse moon atlas and it was a pain to try and follow what craters I was looking at. 

With Sky Safari, you can zoom as much as you like to match the views perfectly, which was a huge boon to my lunar observing. 

Hi Tyson, I have Sky Safari 5 pro. Where do you access the Lunar map?

Apologies to OP for butting in!

Michael

• agmoonsolns likes this

#8 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

For Sky Safari Pro: go into settings / solar system labels with names.

Then continually zoom in on the moon.  You will be surprised just how much you can zoom in. 

Then, click on the enlarged feature and hit info to read whatever info they have on it.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#9 Michael2

Michael2

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:00 AM

Thank you Tyson. I would not have found/realized the way those functions worked together. The amount of zoom is amazing. 

Can you flip the image, as in an SCT view ?

• Tyson M and agmoonsolns like this

#10 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:15 AM

Yes, click on the top right of SSpro skymap where the degrees are listed.  A box will pop up.  Here you can toggle your equipment fov rings that overlap on the sky.  You custom enter in the equipment section. 

Also, below that, it says flip.  None, Horz, Vert and both.   Chose one for whatever scope you have.  Now you can match your view perfectly with the eyepeiece. 

• pugliano and agmoonsolns like this

#11 Michael2

Michael2

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:04 AM

Tyson, once again thanks for your input and again, apologies to the OP. I hope others have also benefited from your input.

Michael.

• Tyson M and agmoonsolns like this

#12 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Tyson, once again thanks for your input and again, apologies to the OP. I hope others have also benefited from your input.

Michael.

I am sure others will be helped by your questions. 

I too had these same questions, and others from CN helped me utilize this amazing app more. 

• agmoonsolns likes this

#13 SteveThornton1

SteveThornton1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hemet, California

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

You can't beat Moon Globe HD, especially on an Ipad.  It isn't too shabby on a phone either.  You can reverse

the image if looking through a scope, zoom in to equivalent of 300-400X, have labels or not and click on the names

fo more information.  It's photo-realistic.  About the best you can get.

• Steve Cox and agmoonsolns like this

#14 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• Loc: Cambridgeshire Fens UK

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:35 AM

You can't beat Moon Globe HD, especially on an Ipad.  It isn't too shabby on a phone either.  You can reverse

the image if looking through a scope, zoom in to equivalent of 300-400X, have labels or not and click on the names

fo more information.  It's photo-realistic.  About the best you can get.

I have to agree with that Steve. I use it on iPad and it’s superb. 

#15 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

After I saw another member recommend it, I found a copy of the small Hamlyn book A Concise Guide in Colour - Moon Mars and Venus. It just arrived, well thumbed but good. It’s far better than I expected; this book should be on every moon lovers shelf! Forget the Mars and Venus in the title, they only consume a few pages, the major part of this book is Rükl’s maps and details. For the few pounds it costs you won’t regret it. To whoever it was that recommended it, thank you!

• SabiaJD, Carl Kolchak, M Schnittker and 1 other like this

#16 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:34 AM

Not so good at identifying features (except for those objects right on the lunar terminator), but for an accurate and high resolution representation of the current phase of the moon there may be nothing better than NASA Visualizations (also called "Dial-a-Moon, since you can set the date and time):

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4442

I reference this each night before photographing the moon to see how each feature appears at the current phase of the moon.

Here is a post (on CN) where I've compared the NASA simulation to an image that I took of the moon on March 17, 2019:

https://www.cloudyni...i/#entry9228906

Edited by james7ca, 20 March 2019 - 02:59 AM.

• aeroman4907 likes this

#17 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

regarding post #3  LRO QuickMap of the Moon, is there a tool to flip orientations?. Did not see that in "help"

• BGazing likes this

#18 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:38 PM

regarding post #3  LRO QuickMap of the Moon, is there a tool to flip orientations?. Did not see that in "help"

I don't know, but you can export the current image (under Settings) and then flip or adjust it to any orientation or rotation that you want.

• Stardust Dave likes this

#19 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

For great information, comprehensive details on craters and other features I highly recommend the book "Craters of the Near Side Moon"  By our own John Moore (Jayem).  He also has another book "Features of the Near Side Moon".   Both are outstanding, these along with my laminated reverse image moon map are always with me when lunar observing.   Having a moon globe can also be pretty handy. laugh.gif But that stays in the house.lol.gif

• Carl Kolchak, Mike Allen and DRohrman like this

#20 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

"Also, what are some of the best reference moon maps/books/charts for when safely inside sitting at a desk?

"The Moon Observer's Handbook" (Fred W. Price) 1988

First hundred pages and 3 chapters covers Earth -Moon system ,Lunar coordinates and types of surface features-scarps valleys ,ray systems...in much detail.

Moon's motions ,Lunar phenomena . Librations-phases , optimization of the telescope you plan to use and so on.

Then right into Observing the Moon starting day 3 through day 15 , with illustrated maps each day showing the prominent craters and maria in the Sunlit portion near -along the terminator of the crescent Moon as it waxes to Full.

Quite a few sketches, some from photographs and EP impressions. 

Worth having on the bookshelf , a hardcover about 7 bucks online (shipped).

#21 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:50 AM

Anybody know anything about Kozár’s Moon Atlas for Visual Observer?

#22 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

I like Orion's Moon Map 260.

https://www.telescop...60/p/102819.uts

• sunnyday likes this

#23 Javier1978

Javier1978

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

This is a great book, for free:

http://www.cityastro...oonbook_3v5.pdf

• RichF, james7ca, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#24 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

For my "no screen outside" solution I use a simple card with a map of the moon containing close to 300 craters. It's strong and light weight.

https://www.shopatsk...n-map-laminated

Inside the house I use a PDF containing all sectors of the moon with more then enough details (for me at least). I can't find the website but it's the Lunar Field Atlas 11 v2.01 in PDF Inverted image, free open source quality.

It's available there, post #2

https://stargazerslo...8-lunar-novice/

That and Wikipedia, to learn about individual craters, to get even more details.

Edited by N3p, 26 March 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#25 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

This is a great book, for free:

http://www.cityastro...oonbook_3v5.pdf

Wow thanks for that link, that book looks incredible.

• Javier1978 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics