•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece case or box what are you using?

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#226 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:05 AM

I use a padded little case, originally intended for a gopro camera and accessories. It is perfect for my minimal (and only) eyepiece set.

eyepiece-case.jpg

• izar187 and Bigzmey like this

#227 72Nova

72Nova

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

Apache 2800 from Harbor Freight works great for me and the price is right, but I'm not sure how the pluck foam will hold up.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Apache 2800.jpg

• sunnyday likes this

#228 Midnight Skies

Midnight Skies

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South-central PA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

I have a (perhaps noobish) question: I see a lot of cases that have diagonals in them.  Sometimes even 2 or 3 diagonals.  Why store the diagonals in the eyepiece case?  Is it just for transportation?

Or to re-phrase the question: Why do you take the diagonal off of your telescope, and why would you change diagonals to different ones?  

I keep my diagonal attached on all of my scopes, but seeing them in the cases makes me wonder if I shouldn't do that for some reason.  What am I missing?

#229 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Some OTAs have cases that don't have room for the diagonals.   I have a 2" diag on a 8" SCT, and it comes off so the OTA fits in the cut foam the previous owner put in a Pelican case, there's a separate space in the foam for the diagonal.   because this 8" SCT is stored with the OTA flipped around in the fork (optical back away from the fork), it would have been too big for the case if the diag wasn't removed.

as I use my eyepieces with several different scopes, I prefer the diagonals are packed with the scope and not the eyepieces.

• epee, Midnight Skies and havasman like this

#230 Napp

Napp

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

I keep the diagonals off the scopes when packed.  I think they are more secure in their own slots in the case.  I keep the SCT diagonal in a case with the MoonLite focuser because the SCT case is not big enough for them.  The diagonals for the refractors are each in slots in the refractor cases. 

• Midnight Skies likes this

#231 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:30 AM

I usually leave the diagonals on my refractors, they travel in a tripod bag that is plenty long enough. I remove the diagonal from my C5 simply because it makes packing other accessories in the same case easier.

• doctordub and Midnight Skies like this

#232 SimonMiller

SimonMiller

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:23 PM

Or to re-phrase the question: Why do you take the diagonal off of your telescope, and why would you change diagonals to different ones?  

I keep my diagonal attached on all of my scopes, but seeing them in the cases makes me wonder if I shouldn't do that for some reason.  What am I missing?

They are an easy thing to get knocked about. It is one thing to carry an OTA with diagonals out into the garden but another to transport it. The size of a case increases when you allow for the diagonal as well. Perhaps an argument to put the OTA in on the diagonal... smile.gif

My reducer came with metal end caps. If I had the camera and OAG with diagonal all setup, it would be easy to separate the diagonal from the OTA and using the metal caps, seal off both ends - YMMV. 

Keeping eyepieces separate seems a good idea because they can be used with more than one scope. Don't want to travel to a site and find that you have some of: telescope, eyepieces and diagonals (that are not complete or not appropriate)!

More than one diagonal is quite common. Once you get a 2" diagonal, then what is the 1 1/4" for? For lunar and planetary it's OK for shorter EP. Having a dielectric for some targets isn't as good as a prism for others? For different FL scopes there are preferences for either type.

Simon

#233 bridgman

bridgman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:17 PM

I have always removed diagonals for any kind of transportation, although in fairness the primary reason for doing so was that the scope wouldn't fit in the case otherwise.

That said, without some really good way to stop the scope from sliding back and forth I wouldn't feel good about having the diagonal be part of the "bumper".

I always figured that one day I would have enough free time to install dovetail clamps into my scope cases so I wouldn't have to worry about them moving around, but I don't feel any closer to that today than 20 years ago.

#234 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

Apache 2800 from Harbor Freight works great for me and the price is right, but I'm not sure how the pluck foam will hold up.  

For my smaller 1800 that I was keeping my collimation tools in, the foam perforations will break after not too long, and you'll have a bunch of loose foam in the case not really doing its job. The foam itself isn't bad quality, but the pick 'n pluck nature of it is just way too easy to break in the Apache cases. The good news is the replacement Kaizen foam isn't too expensive when the time comes.

• 72Nova likes this

#235 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

I've paired down a much larger collection. Suits my current needs and wants.

The case is a modified Plano model 1460. It houses a Baader Mark IV Zoom, a Morpheus 17.5mm and a Morpheus 12.5mm. 

med_gallery_17233_3964_86794.jpg

• DHEB, Allanbarth1 and 72Nova like this

#236 Broglock

Broglock

Explorer 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

I have just started in this hobby and a firm believer in Pelican cases as far as field use. Also I'm working on a Red Oak cabinet that will hold those all plus room to grow as I'm realizing as with most things there's never enough, LOL! This is what I've managed in 6+ months and I'm not showing what's under the diagonals waytogo.gif . I'll have to post the finished cabinet here latter this year.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-05-30_09-35-04.jpg

• DHEB and organge like this

#237 skycreep

skycreep

Lift Off

• Loc: Texas

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:36 PM

I purchased my custom eyepiece cases here...

http://a-case-for-astronomy.webs.com/

#238 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:45 PM

I purchased my custom eyepiece cases here...

http://a-case-for-astronomy.webs.com/

purdy, but would get trashed after one road trip tossed in the back of my pickup...

IMG_20180606_144128-X3.jpg

#239 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:53 AM

Hello,

What is everyone using to store there eyepieces in?

I have looked at some of the cases made for eyepieces but find them a bit on the expensive side.

What would make a good case or box that others are using that could be modified or used as is?

Thanks!

Doskosil handgun case

Regular lightweight aluminum skin case

Aqua injection molded case

#240 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:39 AM

I keep the diagonals off the scopes when packed.  I think they are more secure in their own slots in the case.  I keep the SCT diagonal in a case with the MoonLite focuser because the SCT case is not big enough for them.  The diagonals for the refractors are each in slots in the refractor cases. 

Having bunged up or dropped a few at dark star parties.....

.....the wisdom dawns on me!

I have taken to wrapping in fleece/poly... the foam can bottom out

in spots when the case is dropped, plus it's a pain to re-pluck when your

lineup changes.   Love the Apache case.  

#241 houndsbourgh

houndsbourgh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hailey, Idaho

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

Old Sterilite box that has been with my C90 Astro for years. Bottom is lined with some closed cell foam cut to fit everything. SCT filters just hang out on top. 30, 25, 18, 16, 12mm .96 Kellners. One 40mm 1.25" Kellner. And a 9mm Orto to finish off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4312020111634.jpg
  • 431202011172.jpg

Edited by houndsbourgh, 31 May 2020 - 12:39 PM.

• epee, bridgman and sunrag like this

#242 n2dpsky

n2dpsky

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

When I started looking for replacement foam for my Pelican 1400 eyepiece case, I realized I could get a complete Apache case from Harbor Freight for about the same money as the foam.  I didn't expect it would be as good, but I figured my Pelican was 20+ years old so what the heck.  I'm pleasantly surprised how good they are for 1/3 of the price.   They're more than adequate for my needs.   I don't plan on tossing my eyepieces down any hills or floating the case down a river anytime soon.  

Attached Thumbnails

• apache_copy_1058x1411.jpg

• turtle86 and epee like this

#243 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Aluminium camera case does the trick ie eBay or Amazon yes anything which is associated around Amateur Astronomy the manufacturers pick up on and have a feild day.pick and pluck foam personally I don,t like as can loose its integrity and shape over time.with my case I just puchase packaging foam which relatively cheap and is available in different grades and firmness 

and is cut to your desired dimensions.

going back to pick and pluck foam it’s also difficult to shape around a certain profile with angles etc.

so what I intend to do is use a fine tip marker pen and draw around the profile of eyepiece or accessories then use a 5-6” blade relatively sharp and just cut around profile then push foam down like a cushion for your eyepiece.this looks a lot better and professional looking than pick and pluck foam.

#244 Kevin Kretsch

Kevin Kretsch

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Paris, France

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

I got a Lykus brand case on Amazon for less than $40 and I'm really happy with it. I picked the smallest one, the HC-3010, which is 30x20x12 cm interior dimensions (approx 11" x 8" x 5"). I could have gone for the next size up, but I really like it.

Lykus HC-3010 Case for eyepieces

• epee likes this

#245 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

you do need to be careful with the type and grade of foam you use, many foams out-gas, which can ruin optics, and many foams will turn gummy after 5-10 years and make a mess, this is especially a problem when you pull out a piece of gear you've not used in a few years, and find it coated in sticky foam.

• turtle86 likes this

#246 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

When I started looking for replacement foam for my Pelican 1400 eyepiece case, I realized I could get a complete Apache case from Harbor Freight for about the same money as the foam.  I didn't expect it would be as good, but I figured my Pelican was 20+ years old so what the heck.  I'm pleasantly surprised how good they are for 1/3 of the price.   They're more than adequate for my needs.   I don't plan on tossing my eyepieces down any hills or floating the case down a river anytime soon.  

I have a few of those myself.  They are definitely an excellent value.

• n2dpsky likes this

#247 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:49 PM

you do need to be careful with the type and grade of foam you use, many foams out-gas, which can ruin optics, and many foams will turn gummy after 5-10 years and make a mess, this is especially a problem when you pull out a piece of gear you've not used in a few years, and find it coated in sticky foam.

I agree.  I’ve gone to padded dividers for my Pelican cases.  Another benefit is that the configuration can be easily changed any time I change gear.

#248 n2dpsky

n2dpsky

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:49 PM

you do need to be careful with the type and grade of foam you use, many foams out-gas, which can ruin optics, and many foams will turn gummy after 5-10 years and make a mess, this is especially a problem when you pull out a piece of gear you've not used in a few years, and find it coated in sticky

That's not something I considered.  Thanks for sharing.  My experience with foam cases has been pretty good and I've not seen that issue, but I'll keep my caps on tightly just in case. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics