•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

White Light Solar wedges

accessories astrophotography beginner dslr imaging refractor solar imaging/sketching contest
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

Just ordered a couple of Beloptik UV/IR on KG3 filters from Oliver Smie, prices are less than shown - no VAT for non-EU customers:

2" - 100 Euros

1.25" - 66.36 Euros

Shipping - 7.00 Euros

PayPal fees - 8.53 Euros.

For solar wedge use (including CaK filtering), these are one of the best IR blocking filters one can get ;-)

• George9 and MalVeauX like this

#27 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

Bob, what is KG3?

#28 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:12 AM

what is KG3?

Heat absorbing glass, it absorbs the heat transfer from IR wavelength instead of reflecting it.

Very best,

#29 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

Heat absorbing glass, it absorbs the heat transfer from IR wavelength instead of reflecting it.

Thank you Marty. waytogo.gif

Edited by crazyqban, 13 March 2019 - 02:04 PM.

#30 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:08 PM

Just ordered a couple of Beloptik UV/IR on KG3 filters from Oliver Smie, prices are less than shown - no VAT for non-EU customers:

2" - 100 Euros

1.25" - 66.36 Euros

Shipping - 7.00 Euros

PayPal fees - 8.53 Euros.

For solar wedge use (including CaK filtering), these are one of the best IR blocking filters one can get ;-)

Bob, Oliver recommends against CaK for these. He says CaK is right on the border and depending on the particular item, it can be high or low (he mentioned 2 out of 4 worked in CaK). Mine transmits about 40% at CaK, so I just up the gain by 6dB. I asked if he could produce a KG3 with anti-reflection coating in a 2" cell and the market is too small to do a run. (I know you can get a 50mm KG3, but unmounted.)

But it is a great filter for continuum (over 90%) and for H-alpha (75%).

So glad you pointed these out, Bob. I should get another before they run out.

George

• BinoGuy likes this

#31 Smarque2

Smarque2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:35 AM

I don't have to worry there is a 100% chance of clouds for my neck of the woods wherever that may be! I have the worst luck with eclipses both lunar and solar, transits both Mercury and Venus. If there is something that's a once in a lifetime event. Stay as far away from me! I traveled to South Carolina to see the eclipse. Made a reservation for a site. Right at totality a huge cloud rolled in and shut out. A friend who met up with my family saw the whole thing about 2 miles away in a CVS parking lot!

my flight was grounded the day I was flying out to see the eclipse. I am flying out to FL to photograph the transit

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, beginner, dslr, imaging, refractor, solar, imaging/sketching contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics