•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First time trying out N.I.N.A. instead of SGP

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#826 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:21 PM

Yes, people state that, but I tried many different aproaches

using Platesolver2 and ASTAP but the first goto/solve seems

to have problems.

After that all seems to work fine.

That's why I posted my write-up on how I get running.

Never had problems using Astrotortilla ( ak local solving )

in combination with CDC and APT.

But now I found a workaround and I'm a happy camper!

#827 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:26 PM

Just curious and not to derail, any idea if NINA works with Sony A7 cameras?

@noobulosity I have been struggling with all of the plate solvers except for astronomy, but that means uploading image and it is slower. Plus want an off line solution. I will try ASTAP :-)

Other than that, using the Beta version, ran ALL night like a champ, meridian flip and once sequence was finished (6:15 AM) mount parked and camera warmed up... I am in HEAVEN they deserve all the donations we can toss their way. They will certainly have some coming from me!

Not even TheSkyX holds a candle to NINA based on my experience with it...

I still run TheSkyX for a visual look at the sky since I enjoy that, but thats it... As a planetarium software.

NINA is incredible. To everyone involved in the project, thank you so very much!

• OrionSword and Noobulosity like this

#828 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Ranger 4

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

Just curious and not to derail, any idea if NINA works with Sony A7 cameras?

@noobulosity I have been struggling with all of the plate solvers except for astronomy, but that means uploading image and it is slower. Plus want an off line solution. I will try ASTAP :-)

Other than that, using the Beta version, ran ALL night like a champ, meridian flip and once sequence was finished (6:15 AM) mount parked and camera warmed up... I am in HEAVEN they deserve all the donations we can toss their way. They will certainly have some coming from me!

Not even TheSkyX holds a candle to NINA based on my experience with it...

I still run TheSkyX for a visual look at the sky since I enjoy that, but thats it... As a planetarium software.

NINA is incredible. To everyone involved in the project, thank you so very much!

I'd suggest getting a set of results from Astrometry.net and plugging that info into ASTAP. Astrotortilla, or PS2.  For me, the biggest issue was getting the correct focal length/FOV.  Initially, I just went off of what my scope calculates out to be:  103mm x f5.5 = 566.5mm focal length.  But, PS2 just refused to solve, and I started with some issues even with ASTAP.  In reality, my focal length ended up being 578mm, according to Astrometry.net.  Once I got my proper FOV, pixel scale, and resolution into N.I.N.A., plate-solving with ASTAP went really smoothly.  Even got the meridian flip to plate-solve and re-center for me all on its own.

I imagine this is a similar issue with PlateSolve2 and Astrotortilla, but for some reason ASTAP is faster and less picky about the inputs than PS2.  Call me a convert.

#829 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Ranger 4

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

Also, unless you NEED the updates to the auto-focusing routine in the latest nightly builds, I'd suggest sticking with v1.9b for now.  Seemed pretty stable for me.

#830 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

I had the same issue as you. failed to sync after meridian flip as well as NINA fail to do the flip in the first place because EQMOD reached the meridian and stopped tracking so how I solved this?

- First you need to disable meridian limits

- Slew with your complete rig (including telescope) to both EAST and WEST side of meridian while your telescope is pointing straight up and go a little beyond like 30 minutes or 1 hour (you should still have some clearance between your telescope and mount) and set the new limits in the "mount settings" section in EQMOD. Once you do this on both side of the pier enable the limits again.

- in NINA under auto meridian flip:

- enable : on

- minutes after meridian : 20-40minutes >> set it to be less than the actual limit in EQMOD (if EQMOD can track 30minutes after meridian than in NINA it should be less than 30 minutes!)

- use telescope side of pier : on

- recenter after flip: on

- scope settle : 5

- pause before meridian: 0

that's it, it fixed the issue and I can do the flip without problems now. Sync always fails if you are too close to the meridian (less than 5 minutes probably).

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions. 

Could I simply keep the meridian limits off in EQMOD and not have to worry about it or is it still necessary to have the limits on in EQMOD?

Thanks again,

#831 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Slovenia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

Could I simply keep the meridian limits off in EQMOD and not have to worry about it or is it still necessary to have the limits on in EQMOD?

Thanks again,

maybe but it's wise to have the limits enabled if anything goes wrong in nina. I don't operate my rig with limits off so I'm not sure if it works. 

• mikefulb likes this

#832 RossW

RossW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Biwa, Japan

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

mewmartigan, I ran into an issue where, if guiding was still active when I began my sequence (where guiding was set to start up with the sequence), NINA would get stuck at "stopping guiding". I had to stop PHD2 myself, restart looping frames, then start my sequence.

This has recently been my experience too. However in my case (if I remember correctly) Nina would stop at "stopping guiding" only if the guider was already stopped. If the guider was already guiding or looping, Nina stopped it and proceeded as usual. Also,  if the guider was stopped and Nina got stuck, and I then manually looped or manually started guiding, Nina then continued.

I also upgraded to #010 tonight to see if the autofocus filter setting was working again (not yet it seems, but no problem) and for the first time in a long time Nina skipped the meridian flip for some reason (flip settings unchanged from previous successful runs). I only discovered this when EqMod stopped the mount via the mount limits setting (thank goodness). I've thus moved back to #003 again.

#833 RossW

RossW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Biwa, Japan

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

Thanks again,

No, no, no, don't do this unless you like living dangerously wink.gif  EqMod mount limits have saved me a few times in the last year (tonight even, as mentioned above)

• georgian82 and ac4lt like this

#834 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

No, no, no, don't do this unless you like living dangerously wink.gif  EqMod mount limits have saved me a few times in the last year (tonight even, as mentioned above)

LOL! I hear you...thanks for the advise.

Cheers

#835 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Ranger 4

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:59 PM

I've been living dangerously, then. LOL! I really need to set limits in EQMOD. I just haven't figured it out, yet. Bad... Bad me!

EDIT: Just to add, I've been present and watching when my mount has been running, just to ensure meridian flips work. So it hasn't been too risky. But still......... need to get those limits set.

Edited by Noobulosity, 19 September 2019 - 04:39 PM.

• RossW likes this

#836 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Vostok 1

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

Another successful night. In between clouds. I shot a Mosaic. Cannot get it to line up in ICE but thats not a NINA issue. I got the 1.9 beta... Its amazing. 

I set it all up, run it (across a meridian flip) then wake up to my mount parked properly and camera warmed up slowly to the ambient temp. 

This is magical...

I am in a club that has a dome, the only thing missing is that dome (its connected through ASCOM and TheSkyX opens and closes it right now) being able to close as well after its all done.

My only gripe is that the naming and folders that you want to save in are a bit of a hassle currently.

I save the XML into the folder I want to save the subs to. Including for each pane of the mosaic. However, NINA saves everything to 1 directory. Not a big deal if the naming of the sequence goes ok. However every single time i open it now, it erases the  format that I assigned it.

That is pretty much the only issue i have with it. Everything else is just perfect.

I am excited about this winter since I should be able to gather enough data to have for the cloudy summer. Cannot wait!

#837 Wintermute

Wintermute

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ramona, CA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

I am in a club that has a dome, the only thing missing is that dome (its connected through ASCOM and TheSkyX opens and closes it right now) being able to close as well after its all done.

I've seen quite a few requests for an ascom shutter close command on sequence end. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like anyone doing development for NINA has access to a dome. I wonder if a number of us couldn't chip in and provide a financial incentive to get this bit of code added. 

• Swordfishy likes this

#838 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Vostok 1

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

I've seen quite a few requests for an ascom shutter close command on sequence end. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like anyone doing development for NINA has access to a dome. I wonder if a number of us couldn't chip in and provide a financial incentive to get this bit of code added. 

Come winter when the club sees how good this is, I do not think that would be a problem. Let's see how this all turns but seriously this is gold, pure gold.

#839 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

Does anyone know how to save profiles in NINA? I have had to make the same changes to my autoguiding settings for 4 nights in a row. Some times it saves, sometimes it doesn't. Is there a manual way to save a profile?

-Jim

#840 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Ranger 4

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

Profiles should save as you change things. You can set up multiple profiles, but you need to make sure you load the one you want to change before touching settings. It only notifies settings on the loaded profile. There is no Save button for profiles, though.

#841 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

I cannot get a custom theme to save.  Everything else in my profile saves fine, but when I create a custom color theme, NINA doesn't remember the color changes when I restart.  Anyone else see this?

#842 cuivienor

cuivienor

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

As Noobulosity says, if you find that settings are getting lost (especially if the skin reverts back to default), you need to make sure that you have the proper profile loaded in the Options -> General tab. If NINA doesn't close properly, it may keep a lock on the previous profile and automatically create a new one on startup.

For saving folder, it is possible to have one folder per target, as defined in the file name template.

And on dome support, I don't think it's a problem of money or motivation, but simply nobody having a dome to actually test with...

#843 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:37 PM

As Noobulosity says, if you find that settings are getting lost (especially if the skin reverts back to default), you need to make sure that you have the proper profile loaded in the Options -> General tab. If NINA doesn't close properly, it may keep a lock on the previous profile and automatically create a new one on startup.

For saving folder, it is possible to have one folder per target, as defined in the file name template.

And on dome support, I don't think it's a problem of money or motivation, but simply nobody having a dome to actually test with...

I'll give it a go again, thanks.

It took me a bit to figure out that if you want to have a separate folder per target (or anything really) you need to put a slash after whatever variable you want a folder named IN THE FILE NAME line, not in the directory line. For instance, my file name line starts with $$IMAGETYPE$$\$$TARGETNAME$$\"Real File Name Goes Here".

-Jim

#844 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

So after I thought I fixed the issue where NINA crashes without a trace. It happened again last night. 4 hours of imaging then I noticed that the image downloads are getting stuck so I had to restart the sequence 2 times (from work-night shift) then went back to work. 2 hours later I was not able to regain access to my PC via teamviewer. Nothing I can do at that point and then again 2 hours later when I'm about to leave work I check again and I managed to regain access and there I saw it that NINA crashed again. I tried to reconnect the camera via the equipment tab and it just crashed and windows complained there is an issue with one my of USB devices. So exactly the same issue as before.

The weird thing is that I'm unable to replicate this issue. The #008 version of nightly worked perfectly for the past 3 imaging night with ~24 hours total imaging time (but 14 useful because of dew and partially clouds :) ), with no USB issues at all but last night it happened again and I didn't change anything.

are there any other drivers for ASI 1600mm Pro out there? I'm using the latest version. And I will try USB 2.0 connection to my camera.

But again I'm pretty sure there is an major flaw / issue with the camera drivers and the communication with NINA. If the issue persist I may get forced to switch to a different brand of my main imaging camera and sell the ASI 1600mm Pro.

#845 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

So after I thought I fixed the issue where NINA crashes without a trace. It happened again last night. 4 hours of imaging then I noticed that the image downloads are getting stuck so I had to restart the sequence 2 times (from work-night shift) then went back to work. 2 hours later I was not able to regain access to my PC via teamviewer. Nothing I can do at that point and then again 2 hours later when I'm about to leave work I check again and I managed to regain access and there I saw it that NINA crashed again. I tried to reconnect the camera via the equipment tab and it just crashed and windows complained there is an issue with one my of USB devices. So exactly the same issue as before.

The weird thing is that I'm unable to replicate this issue. The #008 version of nightly worked perfectly for the past 3 imaging night with ~24 hours total imaging time (but 14 useful because of dew and partially clouds smile.gif ), with no USB issues at all but last night it happened again and I didn't change anything.

are there any other drivers for ASI 1600mm Pro out there? I'm using the latest version. And I will try USB 2.0 connection to my camera.

But again I'm pretty sure there is an major flaw / issue with the camera drivers and the communication with NINA. If the issue persist I may get forced to switch to a different brand of my main imaging camera and sell the ASI 1600mm Pro.

It's funny that you say "without a trace"... this happened to me last night, N.I.N.A. just died at 4:46 am and when I examine the "trace" logs there is no sign of distress, it's just going a long taking exposures, analyzing them, and saving them then the log just stops. No way to diagnose at all unfortunately.

-Jim

#846 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Ranger 4

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

While the issues aren't good, I would be curious if they would still happen on a more-stable build (1.9b, or similar). Nightly builds are alpha, not really meant for stable releases.

Did you check your Windows logs for issues around the time of the crash/hang? Is there a newer camera driver available?

#847 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

It's funny that you say "without a trace"... this happened to me last night, N.I.N.A. just died at 4:46 am and when I examine the "trace" logs there is no sign of distress, it's just going a long taking exposures, analyzing them, and saving them then the log just stops. No way to diagnose at all unfortunately.

-Jim

you use the same camera as me, right? ASI 1600mm Pro?

I also noticed that my images that were taken last night were almost all corrupted? I was using the ZWO OIII 31mm 7nm filter on Soul Nebula and the first 15 or so images were ok but then every image after became brighter and brighter. It was not cloud cover because my PHD2 guide log did not indicate a star mass or SNR change at all. The moon light? Is that possible with an 7nm OIII filter? Could it be the amp glow due to incredible slow download time? Also I think the images get stuck on the camera and are downloaded when plate solving stars ( 5 separate** images were merged together 300seconds one + 13sec for plate solving / auto focus) so what in the world is happening with the camera?

link to image:

https://i.imgur.com/AsHi4DG.jpg

This is an auto stretched non calibrated image. I'm 70% sure that there is a lot more AMP glow in the stacked image than in my Ha stacked image. So all the data is completely trashed, AGAIN.

Edited by BoskoSLO, 21 September 2019 - 01:14 PM.

#848 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

While the issues aren't good, I would be curious if they would still happen on a more-stable build (1.9b, or similar). Nightly builds are alpha, not really meant for stable releases.

Did you check your Windows logs for issues around the time of the crash/hang? Is there a newer camera driver available?

sorry I checked my personal PC event viewer (dumb me).

Anyway this is what I found in the event viewer on my laptop: very interesting

The error type: NET runtime

Application: NINA.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FF9D50C72A6

at the same time:

Faulting application name: NINA.exe, version: 1.10.0.1008, time stamp: 0x5d7698a9
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.18362.356, time stamp: 0xf24fc044
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000072a6
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15

a few seconds later:

Fault bucket 1548019740322006288, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: NINA.exe
P2: 1.10.0.1008
P3: 5d7698a9
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 6.2.18362.356
P6: f24fc044
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000000072a6
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCA7F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCA9F.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCADD.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERCAFD.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_NINA.exe_f5888169ba1fba5f863b296f4da77c23f2166a6d_00000000_275bb43c-8b86-4b00-99de-02d9264959ae

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 275bb43c-8b86-4b00-99de-02d9264959ae
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 4bf263583fd01025c57babc0872f8510
Cab Guid: 0

#849 deepanshu29

deepanshu29

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

I am having some trouble with AF. I have been trying to get AF done with two combinations, Esprit 100ED with Canon 6D mark II and Esprit 100ED with QHY163M. In both cases, I started my AF routine with a very good focus in hand. Also, before running the routine I ran the "measure backlash" from good AF point. Measure backlash reported 170 IN and 130 OUT. I applied the settings and ran the AF. AF  exposure was set to 8s for 6D2 and 15s for QHY with 8nm Ha filter. AF motor is Pegasus Astro Motor Focus Kit with Ultimate Powerbox v2. Below are the charts from both combination - 

6D mark II - 

AF 6D2

For this attempt, the AF routine didn't go much on the right side and completed the AF with projected HFR to 5.95. This was a close to perfect focus. I am just wondering why the algo didn't do more points on right side? 

QHY163M with 8nm Ha filter - 

AF qhy163

In this case it actually did more points and pretty much equally on both side, but with even points and a project HFR the routine failed with msg, not enough points to calculate HFR. And it moved the focuser to a worse point than started. I was loosing imaging time to ended up hunting for focus point manually and started my session. From this chart, It also seems like that backlash compensation is not enough.

Any suggestions what do I need to do to make it work better and consistently? 

#850 42itous1

42itous1

Viking 1

• Loc: Wilton, CA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

I'm no expert --but I would say increase your step size.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics