•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Tech AT102ED Weight Limit

astrophotography imaging imaging/sketching contest observing optics refractor solar tripod
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Smarque2

Smarque2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

Hello,

I am in the midst of getting together my first white light solar set up. I am looking at the Astro-Tech 102ED due to the size being close to the maximum allowed carry-on size for airline travel. I will be adding a Baader White Light Wedge (approx 4.66lbs), Possibly a Televue 2" 2X Powermate ( approx 1.18lbs), and on top of that my DSLR Nikon D850 (2.25lbs) or Nikon D3400 (1 lb). I am getting the feeling this might be a bit much to put on the telescope. For the mount I am looking at the SkyWatcher EQM-35 max load of 22lbs. 

My question is: Is this way too much to add to the scope? I feel it might bend or something. 

please advised I haven't been in the astronomy hobby in about 10 years. 

thank you :D 

#2 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

Hello,

I am in the midst of getting together my first white light solar set up. I am looking at the Astro-Tech 102ED due to the size being close to the maximum allowed carry-on size for airline travel. I will be adding a Baader White Light Wedge (approx 4.66lbs), Possibly a Televue 2" 2X Powermate ( approx 1.18lbs), and on top of that my DSLR Nikon D850 (2.25lbs) or Nikon D3400 (1 lb). I am getting the feeling this might be a bit much to put on the telescope. For the mount I am looking at the SkyWatcher EQM-35 max load of 22lbs. 

My question is: Is this way too much to add to the scope? I feel it might bend or something. 

please advised I haven't been in the astronomy hobby in about 10 years. 

thank you laugh.gif

Your concern should not be about the AT102ED's capacity but with your mounts ability to handle the load you are asking to put on it. As a general rule of thumb, most non premium mounts are okay for AP work at 50% of their advertised capacity, the SkyWatcher EQM-35 really should be rated at 11lbs for AP work! I would recommend looking at a higher capacity mount. 

• Smarque2 likes this

#3 Smarque2

Smarque2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

Your concern should not be about the AT102ED's capacity but with your mounts ability to handle the load you are asking to put on it. As a general rule of thumb, most non premium mounts are okay for AP work at 50% of their advertised capacity, the SkyWatcher EQM-35 really should be rated at 11lbs for AP work! I would recommend looking at a higher capacity mount. 

Oh nice thank you I have been looking at the LX85 too

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, imaging/sketching contest, observing, optics, refractor, solar, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics