•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How many refractors do you have, and why?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

I've got one refractor, an AT115EDT that I use for both visual and imaging.  Like to have more, but the current state of the world renders any aspirations for more astro-gear moot.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• Usquebae, mikeDnight, The Luckster and 2 others like this

#202 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

1. Coronado PST- my most-used telescope. Love those Ha views, although the sun hasn’t been very cooperative lately.

2. TV60-little 60mm perfection. My travel scope for astronomy, terrestrial and bird watching.

3. AP Stowaway (new version) my at-home grab and go.

4. AP 130 GTX-largest refractor I can accommodate on my balcony. 

CM

Edited by contrailmaker, 25 March 2020 - 08:44 PM.

#203 eblanken

eblanken

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon Area NW USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:53 AM

I think that must be a record of some sort. 

That has me beaten . . . I have too many refractors . . . must sell some . . .

Ed

P.S. I have more than 10 that range from several 50mm to four 152mm (aka 6 inch, f8, "Yard Cannon")

Edited by eblanken, 26 March 2020 - 03:56 AM.

• m9x18 likes this

#204 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

I have 3 right now.

Tak FSQ-106 for widefield photography.

APM 150 F6 triplet for photography (at least I hope so. Haven't had a chance to use it yet with new flatenner.)

Tak FS-102 on Losmandy GM-8 as visual grab and go.

• YAOG likes this

#205 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:37 PM

I have 3 right now.

Tak FSQ-106 for widefield photography.

APM 150 F6 triplet for photography (at least I hope so. Haven't had a chance to use it yet with new flatenner.)

Tak FS-102 on Losmandy GM-8 as visual grab and go.

The FS-102 and GM8 are your grab and go setup - I like your thinking! 

I love the little GM8G with Nexus Wi-Fi DSC I keep for visual use. I'm lazy and keep it on a Wheelie bar in the 2nd car spot in the garage for "Roll & View" visual use 20 feet from its marked parking spot in the driveway. Sure the skies here outside of L.A. are light polluted but I can roll the mounted scope of the night out and be up viewing in less than 10 minutes if I hurry.

I'm planning my first 2020 Pandemic private star party tomorrow night with observing buddies, going to try streaming over Zoom. Probably more work to setup a big monitor out in the driveway than setting up the GM8G with Side-By-Side scopes but it might be fun or at least a lot of extra work to learn either that I never want to do that again or hey let's do this all the time. Have to see what will be up to pick the SBS scopes for the night. 

I just read your sig, now that's a LOT of Fluorite!  

#206 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

I just sold my SW 100 Pro-ed and I have sellers remorse already. I am using the money to buy a guide camera and pay off credit card i used for other astronomy purchases.  Now I only have two refractors, and of course I have my SCT and dob so I do not think I have a shortage to telescopes, but i love my refractors the most. Here is the thing,  for those of us that aquire more telescopes, do you think we do it, because we collect the things we love, like some people collect coins, or firearms?

Or, if you have collected a few refractors, do you really use the them all?   Since i have a premium 85 mm triplet, I had a real hard time justifying the SW 100, for example. Could any of you justify having two scopes so close together in aperture?   I suppose the upside of selling my SW is that later on I can justify getting something else. Though I think my next scope would be a 6" ED achromat, -- like the new and popular SW 150,

Because I don't have room for a 17th.

- Jim

• m9x18, Exnihilo and The Luckster like this

#207 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:39 PM

Very nice, thanks for the comments. 

I agree, the TEC140 is one of the best one scope only options. big enough, yet somehow just small enough to still work well on a lighter mount like a GM8. The small Takahashi FS-60 is too fast even for a Takahashi Fluorite doublet but the EX Q 1.7x extender puts it into TOA territory, I had to have one once I looked through a FS-60Q. The older Chinese SV130s were quite excellent and the FTF was frosting on the cake, regarding the TV NP101 I agreed, uninspiring but solid scope that lacks the killer sharpness and contrast of a top shelf optic. I think TeleVue traded off uniformity and flat field for sharpness and contrast nice for imagers though. 

Dunno about that - LensPro Japan supplies optics for very expensive camera lenses ($50-100k telephotos for example).  They also manufacture Televue's refractor optics.  Though I've never seen any Chinese optics come close to anything from either LensPro or Canon/Optron (maker of Takahashi's optics).

Chinese optics have continuously improved over the last couple of decades, but they generally are volume rather than quality strategy commodities.  What they lose on margin to the more quality-oriented producers, they more than make up for on volume.

- Jim  

• Jon Isaacs and bobhen like this

#208 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:48 PM

Dunno about that - LensPro Japan supplies optics for very expensive camera lenses ($50-100k telephotos for example).  They also manufacture Televue's refractor optics.  Though I've never seen any Chinese optics come close to anything from either LensPro or Canon/Optron (maker of Takahashi's optics).

Chinese optics have continuously improved over the last couple of decades, but they generally are volume rather than quality strategy commodities.  What they lose on margin to the more quality-oriented producers, they more than make up for on volume.

- Jim  

Jim,

I think you are kind of rambling here, are you saying that because LensPro Japan who supplies optics for high-dollar telephoto lenses and makes TeleVue refractor optics, that the TeleVue optics must be better than any Chinese telescope optics because you have never seen any Chinese optics come close to the Japanese made LensPro or Canon/Opton? 

The second paragraph makes a certain sense and I don't disagree, Chinese optics in consumer telescopes are definitely biased toward volume production as you note. But this is just the tip of the iceberg really. As many people have also seen in the better spec'd private label products the Chinese can make competitive superior class optics when they chose to.

Most notably in my own experience TMB, TS Optics, Stellarvue and Astro-Tech all at some point specified higher level lens performance and used them in certain telescopes they had offered in the past and the Chinese lens makers whatever the source obviously delivered them. We know the Chinese can make top shelf telescope lenses but the problem these days is that few telescope makers selling optical tubes based on Chinese made lenses are currently willing to pay the higher price point to hit higher optical marks. It is not because the Chinese lens makers cannot make superior class lenses, it is because currently the Chinese lens makers choose not to make superior class lenses. 

Edited by YAOG, 26 March 2020 - 09:10 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics