•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

100K for an Observatory

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:20 PM

Skyshed Pod Max 12.5' dome- full automation

Losmandy Titan

C14 Edge HD

Lunt LS152 DS H-Alpha with the additional CaK module 

TMB 130SS

Associated computers and cameras

The Scott Beith SLAP Observatory concentrating on Solar, Lunar and Planetary imaging and observing.

Everything I want and I didn't even spend half of the allotted $$$.  ;)

• CounterWeight likes this

#27 Mel M

Mel M

Ranger 4

• Loc: southern Oregon

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:22 PM

The OP asked what equipment you would spend 100k on. This would seem to presuppose that you don't have to worry about a site or building, just the equipment. And at the individual level, that means "how would you equip an observatory". If you are a imager, the suite would likely look very different from a purely visual observers gear. So, what would you spend 100k on to equip your turn-key-ready-under-dark-skies-observatory?

For my part, I would immediately place an order for a TEC 250 triplet APO and an AP 1600 with absolute encoders. Why? Because I love refractors and refractor viewing and imaging...this would be my ultimate OTA and mount.  This would also leave me about 35k for accessories, mounting hardware to piggyback other scopes, cameras, eye pieces, EAA devices, NVDs, superb binoviewer, etc. Pretty sure I could scrape by on that budget smile.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Yuri has mentioned an APO 300.  You might be missing some objects with that 250. Not sure what mount that 300 would need.

#28 BKBrown

BKBrown

Skylab

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:16 PM

Yuri has mentioned an APO 300.  You might be missing some objects with that 250. Not sure what mount that 300 would need.

Hmmmm, may cut into my accessory budget hmm.gif

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• Jaimo! likes this

#29 Mel M

Mel M

Ranger 4

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:54 PM

Hmmmm, may cut into my accessory budget hmm.gif

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

A 300 might bust the budget. APM wants 150000EUR for the 304 they sell. A 176lbs of f/12!

• BKBrown likes this

#30 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:14 AM

I wonder if Harvard would sell the 15" refractor on e-bay.  It sits under an awful light dome.  Would look much better here. 

#31 dothead

dothead

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:49 AM

The OP asked what equipment you would spend 100k on. This would seem to presuppose that you don't have to worry about a site or building, just the equipment. And at the individual level, that means "how would you equip an observatory". If you are a imager, the suite would likely look very different from a purely visual observers gear. So, what would you spend 100k on to equip your turn-key-ready-under-dark-skies-observatory?

For my part, I would immediately place an order for a TEC 250 triplet APO and an AP 1600 with absolute encoders. Why? Because I love refractors and refractor viewing and imaging...this would be my ultimate OTA and mount.  This would also leave me about 35k for accessories, mounting hardware to piggyback other scopes, cameras, eye pieces, EAA devices, NVDs, superb binoviewer, etc. Pretty sure I could scrape by on that budget smile.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Considering my non-temperate climate here, I'd prefer a doublet over a triplet.

I'd commision Astro Optik Manufaktur to make a 10 Inch F/12  CaF2 doublet, and would mount it on a Beyers series III Mount.

https://www.astro-th...aktur/produkte/

• BKBrown likes this

#32 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

Here in the UK $100K wouldn't buy you enough land with planning permission for a building. Assuming you already have the land, the climate would probably not support the potential of the equipment that $100K would afford.
  • steveastrouk likes this

#33 jcj380

jcj380

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago 'burbs. Bortle 7-8

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

I'd do some research to see where in Michigan that the seeing conditions are best.  Then I'd buy a piece of land, a small travel trailer, and some better optics.  There would be money left over so I could go out west from time to enjoy clear skies.

I'm 25 miles from Lake Michigan, seeing here tends to hoover.

Try the Yoop?

#34 dothead

dothead

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

Here in the UK $100K wouldn't buy you enough land with planning permission for a building. Assuming you already have the land, the climate would probably not support the potential of the equipment that $100K would afford.

So Lord Rosse's Great Reflector was all moot ???

#35 Mel M

Mel M

Ranger 4

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:33 AM

The Harvard 15 inch made by Merz and Mahler from Munich, 1847, 20 foot wooden tube tapered from 16 at objective to 12 at eye piece. Astronomy prof Owen Gingerich says the 1912 Clark 9 inch recently refurbished gives much better views.

Is there a 100 year old refractor that comes close to the optical quality of the best more recent achros?

Edited by Mel M, 15 March 2019 - 01:55 AM.

#36 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:50 AM

Is there a 100 year old refractor that comes close to the optical quality of the best more recent achros?

I got to observe the planets on the Harvard 15".  I really don't think so.  We never pointed it at DSOs under Boston's light pollution and with that tiny field, but tracking the planets on a good night at about 300x, it took you there!

#37 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

So Lord Rosse's Great Reflector was all moot ???

The Rosse was in Ireland, not the UK, weather in Ireland is well documented as being poor for astronomy. But for most of us, we are where we are.

Edited by PETER DREW, 15 March 2019 - 12:07 PM.

• steveastrouk likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics