•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FOA-60 Owners’ Feedback

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#351 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany, Europe

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:58 AM

Ray,

Congratulations to your new FOA60 . Have a lot of fun with it.

Clear skies Markus 

• teashea likes this

#352 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:37 AM

Mine has a silver cap. I think most FOA60 have a silver cap. Only saw one picture with a black one.

Clear skies Markus

Mine has black cap as well. It was bought directly in Japan.
  • rerun, Sergey Stern and teashea like this

#353 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:10 PM

I see there are two types of lens caps for FOA-60.

Who knows which one of them is the latest?

Sergey

The black cap is awful ----- I am waiting for an FOA60 that has been shipped from Germany (since there are none in the US) and I understand that it has the silver cap.  Tak does not make many mistakes but that black cap was certainly a mistake.  

#354 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:27 PM

I think the Australian dealer still has a FOA and a FOAQ in stock........

#355 alvin58

alvin58

Vostok 1

• Loc: North MN

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:01 PM

I talked to Land Sea and Sky in Houston ,Texas 2 days ago and asked if they had any Takahashi refractors in stock at all. They said they had one FOA 60. Maybe still?

Allen

Edited by alvin58, 29 March 2021 - 07:02 PM.

#356 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:06 AM

The black cap is awful ----- I am waiting for an FOA60 that has been shipped from Germany (since there are none in the US) and I understand that it has the silver cap. Tak does not make many mistakes but that black cap was certainly a mistake.

With this I can only agree. It is the same kind of cover that is used for camera lenses.

#357 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:32 PM

The FOA60 has a better build feel. The dew shield being one instantly noticeable difference.

The FOA60Q I couldn’t notice any false color. The FS60Q it was hard to find but occasionally there on very bright objects.

The FOA60Q is pretty much perfect. 

Not knocking the FS60CB/Q it’s a great scope, but Tak just pulled out the stops on the FOA60Q. It’s razor sharp.

If you want pictures of them side by side let me know.

According to Takahashi -----

“The FOA-60Q has the highest optical performance among all Takahashi optical systems. It boasts the World’s highest level of optical performance, maintaining a Strehl ratio of 99% over the entire visible light range and the entire field of view of a full-size camera.”

#358 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:43 PM

I received the FOA60Q from Japan.  It arrived in two days, courtesy of DHL all the way.  It is small and glorious.  What a telescope.  

The FOA60 was promptly shipped but was delayed by outgoing customs in Germany and is now languishing in US customs in New York.  It has been sitting in the customs warehouse for three weeks.  Hopefully it will get out soon.  Poor little thing is probably scared and lonely.  

• rerun, Sergey Stern, Sasa and 1 other like this

#359 alan.dang

alan.dang

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

I keep switching between wanting to sell my FOA-60Q or buying another to make a binocular. It is an incredible instrument. It holds its own against my flagship Questar 3.5 with better than 1/10th wave optics (1/56th wave RMS).

I think it is a great option for lunar viewing and grab and go. In light pollution, you don’t get a lot of targets.
  • Kunama, mtminnesota and teashea like this

#360 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany, Europe

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:37 AM

Have you ever used the FOA60Q with out the Q modul ? I have light polution here ,too. But find a lot of Targets for this little scope.

• teashea likes this

#361 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:34 AM

It seems with the Q module attached to the FOA60 it increases the weight by at least 2 pounds and creates a much longer moment arm since the length is much longer.  This might make this scope harder to use with light weight altaz mounts.  

Bill

• teashea likes this

#362 desertlens

desertlens

Nullius In Verba

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:12 PM

The Q module for the FOA-60 adds less than 6 inches and less than 1 pound. The result is easily mounted.

FOA60Qmd.jpg

Edited by desertlens, 10 April 2021 - 01:45 PM.

• ryderc1, rerun, blakestree and 6 others like this

#363 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

Have you ever used the FOA60Q with out the Q modul ? I have light polution here ,too. But find a lot of Targets for this little scope.

This is certainly a possibility.  The FOA60 with the Q module is very impressive.  

#364 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:43 PM

It seems with the Q module attached to the FOA60 it increases the weight by at least 2 pounds and creates a much longer moment arm since the length is much longer.  This might make this scope harder to use with light weight altaz mounts.  

Bill

I think that the fact that the tube is so small in diameter makes it look very long with the Q module.  In person it really is not very long.  

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by teashea, 10 April 2021 - 08:45 PM.

• Erik Bakker, rerun, Sergey Stern and 2 others like this

#365 desertlens

desertlens

Nullius In Verba

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:35 PM

Without the Q module, the FOA-60 is a very different instrument (ƒ8.8 as opposed to ƒ15 for one thing). The differences induced me to acquire both configurations separately. Well, that's my excuse. As you might expect, both are champs in the 60mm class.

FOA60bd.jpg

• Erik Bakker, rerun, Sasa and 4 others like this

#366 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:09 AM

Without the Q module, the FOA-60 is a very different instrument (ƒ8.8 as opposed to ƒ15 for one thing). The differences induced me to acquire both configurations separately. Well, that's my excuse. As you might expect, both are champs in the 60mm class.

attachicon.gifFOA60bd.jpg

Can you elaborate on that a bit Craig?

• teashea likes this

#367 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:32 AM

attachicon.gifFOA60bd.jpg

I agree that  they are both useful and that they differ from each other significantly.  Like you, I have purchased both because of that.

• Erik Bakker, Sasa and desertlens like this

#368 desertlens

desertlens

Nullius In Verba

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

Can you elaborate on that a bit Craig?

Erik, To begin with, I haven't done an A/B comparison session and am unlikely to do so. My observing opportunities have been so infrequent over the past year (due to weather conditions) that I much prefer to relax and enjoy observing rather than perform equipment evaluations. I doubt I could see any significant difference between these two instruments in a controlled comparison. I can say that the resolution and contrast performance of both scopes meets my expectations and is certainly better than my eyes or my air. CA is effectively nonexistent in both. Both have longer ƒ-ratios so they are eyepiece friendly and exhibit no significant field curvature. As far as functional differences, the FOA-60 (F=530mm) is used for general observing: clusters, brighter nebulae, easy doubles and the like. The FOA-60Q (F=900mm) is used primarily for solar system objects. I had a couple of gratifying sessions with it during the 2020 Mars opposition. One could access these different properties by swapping the Q module in and out but I'd rather not frequently exchange finely threaded tube segments, especially in the dark. The bottom line is that both of these instruments are simple, enjoyable and rewarding to use.

• Erik Bakker, rerun, blakestree and 3 others like this

#369 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for your clear answer Craig!

• desertlens likes this

#370 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:30 PM

Erik, To begin with, I haven't done an A/B comparison session and am unlikely to do so. My observing opportunities have been so infrequent over the past year (due to weather conditions) that I much prefer to relax and enjoy observing rather than perform equipment evaluations. I doubt I could see any significant difference between these two instruments in a controlled comparison. I can say that the resolution and contrast performance of both scopes meets my expectations and is certainly better than my eyes or my air. CA is effectively nonexistent in both. Both have longer ƒ-ratios so they are eyepiece friendly and exhibit no significant field curvature. As far as functional differences, the FOA-60 (F=530mm) is used for general observing: clusters, brighter nebulae, easy doubles and the like. The FOA-60Q (F=900mm) is used primarily for solar system objects. I had a couple of gratifying sessions with it during the 2020 Mars opposition. One could access these different properties by swapping the Q module in and out but I'd rather not frequently exchange finely threaded tube segments, especially in the dark. The bottom line is that both of these instruments are simple, enjoyable and rewarding to use.

Not swapping to Q module in and out is a very good idea.  Each time the aluminum threads are used, they are damaged a slight bit.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics