•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FOA-60 Owners’ Feedback

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#26 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:04 AM

The finest 60mm scope I have ever looked through............

I designed an adapter that goes from M47 x 0.75 to T2 to which you can add a T2 threaded 2" OR 1.25" ClickLock.

The adapter is available from Rafael Pankratau at RAF Camera For $24.95

https://www.rafcamer...47x0-75f-to-t2m

I also had Raf make an adapter that has fits the M47 thread and then allows the use of the Camera Angle Adjuster from the FS60 without binding.

https://www.rafcamer...5m-to-m47x0-75f

Edited by Kunama, 11 March 2019 - 04:05 AM.

• vilchez likes this

#27 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:09 AM

You could always get a pair of them:

Attached Thumbnails

• foa60bn4.jpg

• paulsky, ryderc1, Erik Bakker and 17 others like this

#28 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:29 AM

Nick ,

You are right. Here is a picture with mounted  focus knob not in the sky. It don't touch the dovetail.  I can use the focus knob with the left hand ,with the right hand it is not very comfortable. But normaly I put out the scope more back of the clamp because the AYO has friction  controll and it holds the heavy Morpheus eyepiece without moving . Than using the right hand for focussing is no problem. But it is not in balance in a normal Alt Az mount. That is why I love the heavy AYO mount. But this is not grab n go for this little scope . The AYO is for observing with two scopes FOA on the left side FC100 on the right side.

Matt I love the FOA binoviewer ,really great .

Clear skies Markus 

• paulsky, Colin exraaf and nicknacknock like this

#29 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:02 AM

@ Matt: I already added the link to RAF to my links of interest. I am going to happily obsess now whether T2 is enough or whether to have Rafael make an adapter to M48.  Dat binoscope though... beautiful!

@ Markus: I see there is sufficient clearance to have the dovetail mounted even further at the back without it bumping the focusing knob. Thanks for the photo!

• rerun likes this

#30 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

You could always get a pair of them:

Matt, is that what became of your FOA-60? If so, a worthy endeavor.

#31 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Tyson (Tyson M):

I still can’t get my head around the balancing issue. The Tak clamshell has sufficient holes on which to use hex screws to secure a dovetail. I assume you are using the VUP4 dovetail which can be secured with two screws, so why secure it with one screw only? Use two screws in slots marked “C” and slide the dovetail back. Option 2 is the VUP7 to have even more dovetail available at the back end of the scope.

Nick, 

I will get back to you on the clamshell. It can secure it with more than one bolt(not M6), but I have not played around with it. There looked like two larger threaded holes beside the one M6 hole in the center.

I have a single recessed slot 4" ADM dovetail which is my problem. The slotted recess fits M6 bolt only, which is in the center hole of the 68S-GT clamshell. 

Regardless, if you centered the clamp into the dovetail, the scope's focuser hits the clamp as it becomes back heavy and you moving the tube forward to compensate.

See my picture of the FOA-60 on the Vamo. The OTA sits as far forward as it can in the clamshell right up against the focuser.

Perhaps that dovetail you linked can solve my problem.

Edited by Tyson M, 11 March 2019 - 09:03 PM.

#32 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:20 AM

@ Tyson:

See PM :)

@ Everybody:

I think I got enough info now to start plugging stuff in my trusty EXCEL sheet re source of gear, cost etc. At the moment, I still have incoming gear for the Stowaway I received in late December (and used only twice due to weather issues :( ) and I need to integrate that, use it and settle down into what eyepieces to use for it etc.

Notable additions will be the MEF-3, the AliExpress Tak finderbase, a 4" ADM dovetail, the "Kunama" adapters from RAF Camera, a new adapter from M47x0.75 to M48x75x to try with a 2" Clicklock I happen to have handy, a very simple RDF (Baader Surfer III or something similar), possibly the addition of a finderbase on the clamshell to use a 6x30 RACI finderscope on the side of the main scope, a Pan 24mm and Nikon NAV 17.5mm and 5mm (what can I say? I would prefer Delites but I so dislike the form factor), a T2 Baader Zeiss Prism diagonal.

I do have a lovely carbon tripod very suited to this task but I am a bit undecided on the mount so I will obsess with that over the next few weeks. Recommendations most welcome. Nothing too heavy, but something solid enough to allow use at say 106x (magnification with Nikon NAV5mm). I already have a DM-4, but I want something more "grabby 'n goey" for home. Suggestions most welcome and needless to say that more discussion, photos, observing reports etc are most welcome. There is little info on this jewel and all of you who have one (some of you two [yes, YOU Matt!!!!!]) - ahem - owe it to us to "spill them beans"!

#33 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:42 AM

>>I already have a DM-4, but I want something more "grabby 'n goey" for home. Suggestions most welcome and needless to say that more discussion, photos, observing reports etc are most welcome. There is little info on this jewel and all of you who have one (some of you two [yes, YOU Matt!!!!!]) - ahem - owe it to us to "spill them beans"!<<

The Stellarvue M2C mount on their appropriate-to-your-tripod extension post would be fully functional. My Bonilla Alt-az SB works great, but is more obscure. He was advertising here and on AM but his ads have scrolled off. I have email address if you want to PM me. For the FOA-60, the Stellarvue M1 would be sufficient. The FOA is easy to handle. I use over 100X routinely on my Gitzo 5 series + Bonilla alt-az.

Phil

#34 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:52 AM

Phil,

The M2C is too bulky - I had the previous version (M2). Looking for something more lightweight yet sturdy. 

I did notice that Sergio dropped off the radar the last few months but the SB mount is still to heavy / large.

Now, the Stellarvue M1 is a nifty little mount, but it is out of production. However, I am sure something can be done through the classifieds, so thanks for the suggestion. If I could also find one with the pan handle, it would be awesome. I do have the 8" extension of my DSV-M which I could use with the M1. Unless you are referring to the M1V, which is also available in Europe through TS.

Any other recommendations / mods / tweaks / ancillary gear recommended?

#35 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:12 AM

I wouldnt use this scope with an M2, DM4, or SB for the reasons Nick mentioned.

This scopes allure is its light weight and grab and go potential.

Vamo Traveller, (or Porta II or possibly a mini porta), or the DSVM, Hercules mount on Aliexpress. Maybe even a ES Twillight I. Something that will easily get you out the door and ready to observe.
  • Doug D. and nicknacknock like this

#36 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

Tyson,

I would actually use it with a DM-4 if I were to travel with it to a dark site, but from home something smaller and quicker to set up for sure...

#37 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

>>...I wouldn't use this scope with an M2, DM4, or SB for the reasons Nick mentioned....<<

A DM4 is bulky, sure. I don't see any reason the Stellarvue M1V -- which Stellarvue shows as available -- wouldn't work, other than its shoe being Vixen-size. It's hard to imagine anything smaller being effective. I suppose what's "too heavy" is subjective but the SB is compact and sufficiently light for me. I keep two mini shoes bolted to it, and all my scopes are on Losmandy-sized plates, including the FOA. I'm out the door in an instant with the Gitzo/SB/FOA or FS60Q. Effective and seems light enough to me.

>>...Vamo Traveller, (or Porta II or possibly a mini porta), or the DSVM, Hercules mount on Aliexpress. Maybe even a ES Twillight I. Something that will easily get you out the door and ready to observe...<<

Except none of those are smaller than the M1V for single or the SB Alt-Az for dual. If the bearing surfaces get much smaller than those two, effectiveness will vanish.

Phil

• eros312 likes this

#38 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

Actually the TS branded version of the same mount sold under the Stellarvue scope can be bought with or without a clamp, so one can easily add a Losmandy clamp to it :)

#39 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

I agree with some of what has been said about the DM-4 for the FOA60(Q).  I love my DM-4 but it is more robust than necessary for this scope. That in itself is not much of a problem, however, mine is "dialed-in" for my 105mm and FC-100DL.  I may be lazy but I'm also not a "set it and forget it, this is good enough for me kind of guy", so I don't want to feel like I have to adjust and re-adjust tension on the discs on the DM-4 when I go from the lightweight 60 to the somewhat hefty 105.   

As I mentioned earlier, I have set my sights on a VAMO Traveler for the 60 but it will be a while before the next run is complete - I hope not to be disappointed. Gosh, I've been through an awful lot of Alt/Az mounts over the years - but the DM's still remain! Maybe the VAMO will go the way of the others, or become my dedicated ride for the FOA....?

Edited by Doug D., 14 March 2019 - 08:32 AM.

• nicknacknock and Tyson M like this

#40 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

Update:

The threaded holes on either side of the clamshell are M8, with an M6 in the middle.

But going on a tip from Scott who has a similar clamshell for the FC-60, you can use the non threaded holes (opposite side of clamshell) for longer M6 bolts and put a nut and washer on the inside of the tube ring, opposite to dovetail (under the scope recess enough not to scratch the OTA).  This gives you two more points to secure on that side besides the single M6 bolt I was complaining about earlier.

This works now so I dont have to buy a new dovetal and tap M8 threads into it, just to get it secured by 3 bolts to a dovetail. smile.gif

Note: this does not solve the balancing problem with it being back heavy with eyepieces over 1 lbs. It needs tube rings or perhaps a longer tube ( the threaded 1.7x extension).

Edited by Tyson M, 15 March 2019 - 08:35 AM.

• nicknacknock likes this

#41 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

Have the FS60Q and the FOA60Q. There is a very noticeable difference between the two.

In what way? I am looking to possibly get one of these 2 scopes (FS60Q vs FOA60) and would love to understand the comparative strengths and weaknesses of each.

Thank you!

Edited by Brollen, 16 March 2019 - 07:43 AM.

#42 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

Would be most interested myself in this comparison!

#43 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

In what way? I am looking to possibly get one of these 2 scopes (FS60Q vs FOA60) and would love to understand the comparative strengths and weaknesses of each.

Thank you!

The FOA60 has a better build feel. The dew shield being one instantly noticeable difference.

The FOA60Q I couldn’t notice any false color. The FS60Q it was hard to find but occasionally there on very bright objects.

The FOA60Q is pretty much perfect. 

Not knocking the FS60CB/Q it’s a great scope, but Tak just pulled out the stops on the FOA60Q. It’s razor sharp.

If you want pictures of them side by side let me know.

• rerun likes this

#44 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:01 AM

Phil,

You serious? OF COURSE we want like 10,000 photos of the two scopes! This is the Refractors Forum after all and our scopes are our divas. Bring it on, please!

#45 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

The FOA60  focuser can handle  2 " and 1,25 " eyepieces /diagonal out of the box ,the FS60 needs a TKA21110 2 " adapter at the focuser to handle 2" equipment.

Phil , like Nick wrote we need photos !

clear skies

Markus

#46 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

Thank you!

Additionally, how does the FS60Q compare to the FOA60 (no Q) visually?

#47 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

A good question! Inquiring minds do want to know!

#48 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

The FS60Q and FOA60 are very close visually. The FOA60 has a small advantage in contrast; the FS60Q has a small advantage in sharpness, with its main advantage being its flat field thanks to Q module. When both are Q'd, the FOA is essentially perfect, while the FS is slightly less so. If you have the FS60Q first, you wonder how any 60mm could be any better. It's sharp almost beyond belief. And if after that you look through FOA60Q, it's "holy-moley" time, 'cause what couldn't be better suddenly is. But at 901mm FL and only 60mm aperture, you get to a floaters-city exit pupil from some favored shorter FL eyepieces whereas they are usable with the 600mm FL FS60Q. Overall, with both Q'd, you get flat fields and the scopes are much more alike than different. Despite the perfection of the FOA60Q, I still use my FS60Q regularly and have no wish to part with it.

Phil

• Erik Bakker, Phil Cowell, eros312 and 4 others like this

#49 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

Phil,

You serious? OF COURSE we want like 10,000 photos of the two scopes! This is the Refractors Forum after all and our scopes are our divas. Bring it on, please!

Will do. I’ll put both on a WO EZ Touch tomorrow and get some pictures.

#50 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:57 PM

Additionally, how does the FS60Q compare to the FOA60 (no Q) visually?

Yes, this is what I meant. The FS is f/10 and the FOA is f/8.8 - curious as to how they compare visually. One thing that appeals to me about the FS-Q is that it is two scopes in one - a relatively fast and relatively slower one although I would probably and preferentially stay in the Q configuration.

More pictures would be awesome!

Thank you!

Edited by Brollen, 16 March 2019 - 02:14 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics