•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FOA-60 Owners’ Feedback

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#51 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

This thread prompted me to get the FOA-60, and forewarned me of possible balance issues in advance. 

Here, mounted on another recent acquisition (close-out priced LX70 mount).

Clear skies eagerly anticipated (this year has been a real pain, thus far):

IMGP5020 - Copy.JPG

• paulsky, Doug D., Erik Bakker and 9 others like this

#52 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

Another:

IMGP5034 - Copy.JPG

• Erik Bakker, payner, GlenM and 8 others like this

#53 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:26 AM

This thread prompted me to get the FOA-60, and forewarned me of possible balance issues in advance. 

Here, mounted on another recent acquisition (close-out priced LX70 mount).

Clear skies eagerly anticipated (this year has been a real pain, thus far):

attachicon.gif IMGP5020 - Copy.JPG

What diagonal are you using.

#54 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:48 AM

Could be an older Lumicon diagonal smile.gif

That FOA-60 is a wonderful scope bow.gif

• T1R2 likes this

#55 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

I pondered the FS60 vs FOA60 question many months back and in the end decided on the FS60Q - ordered from our sponsors. It was an agonizing 6 weeks waiting as it wasn’t in stock. It finally arrived in great shape and very well packaged.

The star images are perfect and the field is very flat and sharp to the edge. Weather in my area has not been great since since getting it, but I have managed to get it out several times. Moon views are stunning - razor sharp and very nice contrast. I’ve caught Jupiter a few times in the morning but in those attempts Jupiter was too low or the dawn had started or other things that detracted from the views where happening.

Here it is mounted with my AT102ED and the pair are on one side of my ES TII with my C9.25 in the other saddle. A very stable setup.

Hoping for clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• A1064981-0F2C-4D85-87D8-0D1AB966456E.jpeg
  • A2FD36E9-3F6B-4759-B7C4-AEA41FD7CBF7.jpeg

• Doug D., payner, eros312 and 4 others like this

#56 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

I just placed an order for FOA-60Q, I don't know if the pricing is right for a 60mm aperture compared to benchmark 100m FC100-DC/DF.  When I compare A comparison between FC100-DL & FOA-60Q will tell if this scope is all marketing hype from Takahashi, unless someone already did this comparison.

• Tyson M and Sockrateez like this

#57 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

I just placed an order for FOA-60Q, I don't know if the pricing is right for a 60mm aperture compared to benchmark 100m FC100-DC/DF.  When I compare A comparison between FC100-DL & FOA-60Q will tell if this scope is all marketing hype from Takahashi, unless someone already did this comparison.

????

Why compare a perfect 60mm against a perfect 100mm? That makes no sense at all. Of course the 60mm is going to lose that game, except for portability and wide field (and price). 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Fomalhaut, SpaceX and RadioAstronomer like this

#58 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

Could be an older Lumicon diagonal smile.gif

That FOA-60 is a wonderful scope bow.gif

Sharp eye! 

This diagonal, along with a set of Celestron Ultimas are my most used oculars with the FC-76, FC-100 and now, this jewel.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#59 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

I own a FOA-60 and I can tell you that it's a sublime little telescope. As many have pointed before, it is a perfect 60mm scope. Remember when Wolfgang Rohr tested a FOA-60 and got a 0.996 Strehl with an RMS of 1/95(!) I repeat 1/95 waves? Had he included the Q module, I suspect his testing equipment would run out of significant digits when evaluation the Strehl ratio lol.gif.

With the Q module (which I don't have) it's the best corrected refracting telescope commercially available to amateurs period. That is quite a statement and it comes from Takahashi... So yes, it looks like this scope is the best telescope that money can buy in this aperture range, I wouldn't call this marketing hype. 

That being said I don't see what would be the point of comparing it to a 100mm Tak. The scope is great but it still obeys the laws of physics. 

You basically pay for a perfect 60mm and that's it (have you seen the spot diagrams?).

An FC100 is incredible, but I suspect that a FOA-100 (if Tak ever makes one) would be the perfect 100mm Tak.

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 27 May 2019 - 02:09 PM.

• Erik Bakker, Fomalhaut, rerun and 4 others like this

#60 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

PS: Expect a review and a picture heavy FOA-60 post from me later this week, when I have some more time..

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 27 May 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#61 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

A PERFECT Takahashi is, well, a perfect scope. Only the aperture needs to be to your liking. But a perfect scope is wonderful, even if it's only 60mm. Or 100mm.

As Thomas said, 100 vs 60mm is a win for the 100mm in what it shows and how it does that. For portability, the 60mm rules.

I have had virtually perfect 55mm f/8 and 102mm f/8 fluorites. I can tell you they are both wonderful, yet very different scopes. About the same will go for the FOA-60 and FC-100 DL. Enjoy!

• rerun, Sasa and RadioAstronomer like this

#62 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

I always wanted to try a 60mm Tak if i could ever find a much older one for under $700 made in the 80's. Would make a great finder and solar scope.

#63 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

I am not sure if the comparison between the FOA-60Q and the FC100DL is as simple as "perfect 100 beats the perfect 60 because bigger is better."

According to this thread, smaller is better for looking at individual stars and a 60mm beats anything bigger for looking at individual stars.

https://www.cloudyni...tars-on-a-diet/

I have a FC100DL and have been thinking about getting an FOA-60Q to look at individual stars (and also maybe expand it to the sun with a quark). Haven't pulled the trigger on the FOA-60Q yet. If anyone has these two side by side, I would be interested in a comparison, especially of how they handle individual stars.

#64 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

????

Why compare a perfect 60mm against a perfect 100mm? That makes no sense at all. Of course the 60mm is going to lose that game, except for portability and wide field (and price). 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Agree, I should have stated: beside the difference in aperture, FC100-DL/C/F series have shown perfect images without noticeable color and priced modestly.

I own a FOA-60 and I can tell you that it's a sublime little telescope. As many have pointed before, it is a perfect 60mm scope. Remember when Wolfgang Rohr tested a FOA-60 and got a 0.996 Strehl with an RMS of 1/95(!) I repeat 1/95 waves? Had he included the Q module, I suspect his testing equipment would run out of significant digits when evaluation the Strehl ratio lol.gif.

With the Q module (which I don't have) it's the best corrected refracting telescope commercially available to amateurs period. That is quite a statement and it comes from Takahashi... So yes, it looks like this scope is the best telescope that money can buy in this aperture range, I wouldn't call this marketing hype. 

That being said I don't see what would be the point of comparing it to a 100mm Tak. The scope is great but it still obeys the laws of physics. 

You basically pay for a perfect 60mm and that's it (have you seen the spot diagrams?).

An FC100 is incredible, but I suspect that a FOA-100 (if Tak ever makes one) would be the perfect 100mm Tak.

I think this is what made me get me this scope - Takahashi themselves claimed this scope is their best design so far, and they have been making scopes for decades. 

PS: Expect a review and a picture heavy FOA-60 post from me later this week, when I have some more time..

Looking forward to your report.

A PERFECT Takahashi is, well, a perfect scope. Only the aperture needs to be to your liking. But a perfect scope is wonderful, even if it's only 60mm. Or 100mm.

As Thomas said, 100 vs 60mm is a win for the 100mm in what it shows and how it does that. For portability, the 60mm rules.

I have had virtually perfect 55mm f/8 and 102mm f/8 fluorites. I can tell you they are both wonderful, yet very different scopes. About the same will go for the FOA-60 and FC-100 DL. Enjoy!

I will probably leave it in the box and put it up for sale as LNIB after 5 yrs

I am not sure if the comparison between the FOA-60Q and the FC100DL is as simple as "perfect 100 beats the perfect 60 because bigger is better."

According to this thread, smaller is better for looking at individual stars and a 60mm beats anything bigger for looking at individual stars.

https://www.cloudyni...tars-on-a-diet/

I have a FC100DL and have been thinking about getting an FOA-60Q to look at individual stars (and also maybe expand it to the sun with a quark). Haven't pulled the trigger on the FOA-60Q yet. If anyone has these two side by side, I would be interested in a comparison, especially of how they handle individual stars.

Yeah, convenient than changing aperture mask. 

• RadioAstronomer likes this

#65 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

I wish Tak would sell aperture masks that fit their scopes. I'm not good with crafting or cutting perfect circles in cardboard and then figuring out how to attach it to my Tak. So I haven't been able to try an aperture mask on my Tak 100 yet.

May have to get a FOA-60Q instead. At least it would be even smaller and nore portable and would cool down even faster.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 27 May 2019 - 09:27 PM.

#66 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

I own the FOA60 for a while and observed a lot with it. My FOA60 is the one Mr. Rohr had for his test. I had to wait until the test was made before I got my scope. This little Tak often let me forgot that I look through an 60mm scope. This  is really the best 60mm scope ever made. My 100DF is the biggest scope I own.  And a very good 4 " scope . It will take the rest of my life to see all the things ,that can be seen with this scope. I am happy to own BOTH scopes. 

The FOA60 is the most high quality  grab n go scope I know. And if you like to test the borders of what 60mm aperture can reach  this is the scope. But dont expect to see more than in the TAK 100.

Clear skies Markus 

• Erik Bakker, Astrojensen, eros312 and 4 others like this

#67 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

My FOA60 and FC100DF on my AYO mount 

Clear skies Markus 

• Erik Bakker, Astrojensen, nicknacknock and 3 others like this

#68 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

I own the FOA60 for a while and observed a lot with it. My FOA60 is the one Mr. Rohr had for his test. I had to wait until the test was made before I got my scope. This little Tak often let me forgot that I look through an 60mm scope. This  is really the best 60mm scope ever made. My 100DF is the biggest scope I own.  And a very good 4 " scope . It will take the rest of my life to see all the things ,that can be seen with this scope. I am happy to own BOTH scopes. 

The FOA60 is the most high quality  grab n go scope I know. And if you like to test the borders of what 60mm aperture can reach  this is the scope. But dont expect to see more than in the TAK 100.

Clear skies Markus 

Well Markus, if that was your sample let me tell you that you have big bragging rights! 

#69 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Thank you

When I saw the new FOA60 on the homepage of my german dealer intercon-spacetec I know I want a scope like this. After a while when the wish to own a FOA grows bigger and bigger I ask them and ordered one. But it took some time until they deliver the scope. So I ask for the reason and they said to me they wanted to know how good this scope is and they have send  it to Mr. Rohr for a test. I don't have to pay for the test but I had to wait until he finished it. So it take a few days. But now I also have a test of my scope.That is not so bad . But every time I use it I know what a great scope I own.  There are a lot of times I saw things I not expect to see with this little scope. So for me it is worth every euro I paid for it and it brought me many hours of observing fun.

Clear skies Markus 

Edited by rerun, 28 May 2019 - 11:39 AM.

• Astrojensen, eros312, StarDust1 and 2 others like this

#70 jtpowers

jtpowers

more clever in the first place

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

Really loving this thread! I have a focuser question for you FOA 60 owners.

I’ve noticed that the focuser has a lot of travel available. With a 1.25” diagonal and normal eyepiece (TV 1.25” or Tak LE?), how far back do you need to move the focuser out to reach focus? Just a little, or close to a mile?

Thanks!

Edited by jtpowers, 28 May 2019 - 02:58 PM.

• bdg likes this

#71 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

There are a lot of times I saw things I not expect to see with this little scope. So for me it is worth every euro I paid for it and it brought me many hours of observing fun.

I know exactly that feeling. I paid what many would consider far too much for my Zeiss Telemator, but no other scope I've owned has been used for so many hours and have provided me with so much fun. And I've seen a LOT of things I didn't expect to be able to see. 

I'd not be honest if I said I haven't been thinking about getting a FOA-60.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Corcaroli78, rerun and db2005 like this

#72 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

I’ve noticed that the focuser has a lot of travel available. With a 1.25” diagonal and normal eyepiece (TV 1.25” or Tak LE?), how far back do you need to move the focuser out to teach focus? Just a little, or close to a mile?

Thanks!

Thank you! Came here to ask the same question.

#73 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

I’ve noticed that the focuser has a lot of travel available. With a 1.25” diagonal and normal eyepiece (TV 1.25” or Tak LE?), how far back do you need to move the focuser out to teach focus? Just a little, or close to a mile?

Thanks!

Jut a little with a Tak TOE 4.

FOA-60 waits in it's carry-on Condition 1 18" case for the photo-shoot that I'm about to do. As I said I'll post a picture heavy thread and review later this week! Also it looks like we are going to a have great clear and steady sky tonight in S. Florida, with the GRS transiting Jupiter at about 1:30 am local time so I'll also try to do couple sketches.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_40343.jpg

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 28 May 2019 - 02:33 PM.

• Erik Bakker, Astrojensen, rerun and 3 others like this

#74 bdg

bdg

Viking 1

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

So based on Rohr’s test the sample you have reached 0.99 Strehl, I thought an extender is required to reach 0.99. I wonder if the extender  can be used in other Tak/non-Tak scopes.

#75 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

So based on Rohr’s test the sample you have reached 0.99 Strehl, I thought an extender is required to reach 0.99. I wonder if the extender  can be used in other Tak/non-Tak scopes.

I seem to remember that Tak claims 0.99 Polychromatic Strehl with the Q module. Was Rohr's test monochromatic Strehl? 

If so I'm not surprised that it reached 0.99 as Polychromatic Strehl is much more stringent.

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 28 May 2019 - 03:18 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics