•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Caution : RA/AZM No response EQ6R-Pro

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

Hopefully the Skywatcher team sees this post. I am at wits end. I wish I hadn't sold my AVX. At least it was trouble free. It had it's backlash issues, but managed to get through it all and get some good images. I purchased the EQ6R Pro about 6 weeks ago and was excited about the upgrade. Had to send it back for a loud rubbing noise at the beginning and end of higher speed slews. The good folks at Highpoint handled the issue and got me a new mount delivered within 2 weeks. All good, right? Wrong. I did an initial check of the replacement and all seemed well. The v5 hand controller worked as advertised, even the Type A to B hand controller connection worked. APT connected to the mount with no problems, was able to do some plate solving, slewing, go to's etc. All this done in my heavily light polluted front yard, so of course no serious imaging was done. But all worked good. Finally had some clear skies forecasted, so I packed up, drove 2 hours to our dark site. Got setup, turned the mount on, and after the initialization the hand controller said "CAUTION : RA/AZM No Response" I also noticed the red power light on the mount was not on. Turning off the mount and back on, checking handcontroller connections, verifying proper voltage to the mount did not fix anything. I was able to get to the menus and scroll through the utilities, enter position info, time and date. But that was it. Packed up and went home.

I then got on to the internet and there were a few discussions about trying a firmware update. Didn't think that was the issue, but alas, there was a more recent firmware update available. I got the update installed and that was no help.

So before I get to the mindset of getting a different mount, is there anything the good folks here on Cloudy Nights can tell me about this mount and the specific problem that I'm having. Now I've seen where this mount is on backorder and it may be weeks before they can send a replacement. The CGEM II seems to be a comparable mount. When the EQ6R worked, I loved it. Tracking was spot on, the 2 star alignment was a breeze, but I dont need these type problems. Thanks in advance for any responses that will help here.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

There's not really enough information to troubleshoot your mount...but...

Problems of this sort often have one simple source: power.

Make sure you have a good, fully charged battery. Check the power cable and its connectors carefully, too. Synta's SkyWatcher power cables are notorious for not seating firmly in the receptacle and having other problems.

#3 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:57 PM

There's not really enough information to troubleshoot your mount...but...

Problems of this sort often have one simple source: power.

Make sure you have a good, fully charged battery. Check the power cable and its connectors carefully, too. Synta's SkyWatcher power cables are notorious for not seating firmly in the receptacle and having other problems.

Voltage according the hand controller is at 11.5v Power comes from the Celestron 7amp12v power tank. Also tried another power tank that a friend on the field had that was fully charged. Was thinking it could be the cable from hand controller to the mount connection. I've checked the seating of the connectors and all seems ok. Even tried another RJ45 8 pin connector cable and still didn't work.

Edited by birddog99, 10 March 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

Voltage according the hand controller is at 11.5v Power comes from the Celestron 7amp12v power tank. Was thinking it could be the cable from hand controller to the mount connection. I've checked the seating of the connectors and all seems ok. Even tried another RJ45 8 pin connector cable and still didn't work.

11.5 sounds suspiciously low (assuming the HC is accurate in this regard). Power, I'd say.

At any rage, the first step in troubleshooting ALWAYS to switch to an alternate power source, with an alternate cable if possible. ;)

Doesn't sound like the HC cable at all, and the Powertank in question doesn't have much capacity and is famous for having an iffy charger. What does it read for voltage under no load with a volt-ohm meter?

• emflocater likes this

#5 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

Can you try an AC Charger that is proper for this mount? I use an AC Charger with no issues. These mounts are power hogs and a minimum of amps are needed especially for slewing. I agree with Uncle Rod that power should be thoroughly checked out first

Cheers

Don

#6 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

11.5 sounds suspiciously low (assuming the HC is accurate in this regard). Power, I'd say.

At any rage, the first step in troubleshooting ALWAYS to switch to an alternate power source, with an alternate cable if possible. wink.gif

Doesn't sound like the HC cable at all, and the Powertank in question doesn't have much capacity and is famous for having an iffy charger. What does it read for voltage under no load with a volt-ohm meter?

It's fully charged and has 12.8 volts output measured with the multimeter. A buddie of mine let me use his Duracell Power Pack Pro(which will start a car) and was at full charge. Didn't help

Can you try an AC Charger that is proper for this mount? I use an AC Charger with no issues. These mounts are power hogs and a minimum of amps are needed especially for slewing. I agree with Uncle Rod that power should be thoroughly checked out first

Cheers

Don

I've seen a couple of ac chargers online, but not sure of which to get. What are you using.

#7 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

I've seen a couple of ac chargers online, but not sure of which to get. What are you using.

I have been using THIS I called Orion as well to confirm that it would work with no issues and they said it will be perfect for the Atlas. As you know the Skywatcher version is the same as the Orion just white instead of black so it will work for the Skywatcher as well which is what I have.

Cheers

Don

#8 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:01 PM

I have been using THIS I called Orion as well to confirm that it would work with no issues and they said it will be perfect for the Atlas. As you know the Skywatcher version is the same as the Orion just white instead of black so it will work for the Skywatcher as well which is what I have.

Cheers

Don

Got it. Gut feeling tells me it's not a power issue and I could be wrong. But It would be nice to have the ac adapter for piece of mind. Let me get with highpoint tomorrow and discuss options. If they tell me the EQ6R is on backorder, I may switch to the Orion version of the EQ6R. I am mountless at this point. Just cant have that. 

• emflocater likes this

#9 yoandresmza

yoandresmza

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:54 AM

Hi birddog, last night I was in a middle of my AP sesion and my EQ6-R stopped working. A message appeared in the hand controller "RA/Azm.... No response!" , when I looked at the led on the mount it was off. I turned off the mount and then turned it on and the same thing...LED off and "RA/Azm.... No response!" message. The voltage was 12,1v and the hand controller works fine.

I don't think that was a power problem, it seems more like a motherboard problem. I have not tried upgrading the firmware yet.
At night I'll try without hand controller using EQMOD.

Basically we have the same problem, when do yu get your mount? Maybe is a manufacturing problem in the motherboard.

Regards, Andres

#10 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

Hi birddog, last night I was in a middle of my AP sesion and my EQ6-R stopped working. A message appeared in the hand controller "RA/Azm.... No response!" , when I looked at the led on the mount it was off. I turned off the mount and then turned it on and the same thing...LED off and "RA/Azm.... No response!" message. The voltage was 12,1v and the hand controller works fine.

I don't think that was a power problem, it seems more like a motherboard problem. I have not tried upgrading the firmware yet.
At night I'll try without hand controller using EQMOD.

Basically we have the same problem, when do yu get your mount? Maybe is a manufacturing problem in the motherboard.

Regards, Andres

I took delivery of this mount about 3 weeks ago. Have only used it 3 times. weather here on the Texas Gulf coast has pretty much sucked for the last 2 months.

#11 yoandresmza

yoandresmza

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

I took delivery of this mount about 3 weeks ago. Have only used it 3 times. weather here on the Texas Gulf coast has pretty much sucked for the last 2 months.

Yeah, me too. Probably both mounts have a similar serial number.
Have you contacted your vendor?

#12 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:54 AM

Got it. Gut feeling tells me it's not a power issue and I could be wrong. But It would be nice to have the ac adapter for piece of mind. Let me get with highpoint tomorrow and discuss options. If they tell me the EQ6R is on backorder, I may switch to the Orion version of the EQ6R. I am mountless at this point. Just cant have that. 

Keep us updated and hopefully all this will get resolved and you will be up and running in no time!

Cheers

Don

#13 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, me too. Probably both mounts have a similar serial number.
Have you contacted your vendor?

Is there a serial number located on the mount somewhere? If so maybe both of you can post this number and compare...maybe a bad batch and Skywatcher can be made aware of this.

Cheers

Don

#14 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

Is there a serial number located on the mount somewhere? If so maybe both of you can post this number and compare...maybe a bad batch and Skywatcher can be made aware of this.

Cheers

Don

No serial number on the exterior of the mount. Not sure I want open up anything looking for a serial number at this point, risking voiding warranty. Manufacturers sometimes mark specific bolts or screws and if they have been tampered with can void a warranty.

• emflocater likes this

#15 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

I also noted that when the first and second(replacement)  mounts arrived, the boxes they came in looked like they had been sitting on a warehouse floor for years. You would think a new mount would arrive in a new box.There was no way these boxes were new. Matter of fact UPS warned me on the 2nd mount that they had a hard time keeping the boxing together due to the poor condition of the boxes. Makes me wonder if I actually received a new mount, or did they send an old refurbished mount that someone else had sent back. I sure hope the Skywatcher team sees this thread. I have brought this to the attention of the folks at Highpoint.

#16 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

I also noted that when the first and second(replacement)  mounts arrived, the boxes they came in looked like they had been sitting on a warehouse floor for years. You would think a new mount would arrive in a new box.There was no way these boxes were new. Matter of fact UPS warned me on the 2nd mount that they had a hard time keeping the boxing together due to the poor condition of the boxes. Makes me wonder if I actually received a new mount, or did they send an old refurbished mount that someone else had sent back. I sure hope the Skywatcher team sees this thread. I have brought this to the attention of the folks at Highpoint.

SkyWatcher and Highpoint are pretty decent to deal with. I am sure as much a pain in the butt and inconvenience, they will take care of this. REMEMBER ....a squeaky wheel gets the oil! Unless its my wheelbarrow...it will get oiled this Spring for sure, so you be persistent birddog99 with them.

Cheers

Don 

#17 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

SkyWatcher and Highpoint are pretty decent to deal with. I am sure as much a pain in the butt and inconvenience, they will take care of this. REMEMBER ....a squeaky wheel gets the oil! Unless its my wheelbarrow...it will get oiled this Spring for sure, so you be persistent birddog99 with them.

Cheers

Don 

Well, maybe they are...but...

This is his second bad mount. I'd be asking for a refund or credit on a different mount.

• emflocater likes this

#18 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

Time to put an end to this thread. Will be sending the mount back to highpoint. I should be receiving my new Atlas EQ-G from Orion in the next 2 days.

#19 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:22 PM

We did offer to replace the motor board on this mount and cover shipping to and from.
  • Pauls72 and emflocater like this

#20 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

We did offer to replace the motor board on this mount and cover shipping to and from

I appreciate the offer, but I wasn't interested in having a new mount repaired. As these mounts were on backorder, and no expected date given to receive a new mount, I had to implement Plan B

#21 Anemone

Anemone

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

For further references and if anyone encounters the same problem again, I got the same error (RA/AZM No response) and freaked out for a moment while I was updating the motor controller firmware (different from the Synscan remote update). it turned out I accidentally turned off power while I was updating and, as a result, I got the same message, no response whatsoever from the motors. I properly re-flashed the firmware again this time and the motors were on, it worked back again.

My recommendation is to try and update or re-flash the motor controller firmware of the mount to see if that solves the problem. If not, you might probably have a defective motor board controller or maybe a loose wire.

Edited by Anemone, 24 October 2019 - 04:32 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics