•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharcap Pro Live Stacking versus APT

EAA
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

I know that Sharpcap Pro supports Live Stacking does the APT product also support Live Stacking?

Edited by sandconp, 11 March 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#2 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

I've not yet tried it, but I've been told that if you choose "Preview" that it does a very nice job.

Edited by OleCuss, 11 March 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:35 PM

I know that Sharpcap Pro supports Live Stacking does the APT product also support Live Stacking?

Hi

Small point.... but I believe all current ‘Pro’ and free versions of Sharpcap support live stacking. APT appears to be directed towards astrophotography rather than EAA which seems to be Sharpcap’s focus. 

Gary

• DSO_Viewer likes this

#4 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:19 PM

I'm not sure it is all that different.

You can use SharpCap while doing OAP and save your subs.

With APT it appears you are assumed to want to save your subs and they have a Preview/Live Stack available for watching your image improve.  Automated processing occurs.  Here's a link to one relevant part of their user guide:  https://ideiki.com/a...==&mw=MjQw#id_1

Upshot is that while I've not used APT and am still a SharpCap person (or will be again when I actually get a combination of skies and time), I consider APT to be a likely reasonable alternative.

Edited by OleCuss, 11 March 2019 - 08:20 PM.

#5 ChrisFC

ChrisFC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:02 AM

There's no live stacking in apt. It just saves or previews single subs for AP. You could use it in conjunction with astrotoaster to live stack the subs saved with apt.

#6 ramaK7RUT

ramaK7RUT

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Anderson Island, Wa

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:00 AM

APT does not support live stacking natively.  I've used it together with "DeepSkyStacker Live" to do near realtime stacking.  You set up a standard light plan in APT and common save directory and then point DeepSkyStacker live to the common directory. I found it bit cumbersome to setup and difficult to use during a viewing session.  I switched to SharpCap and never turned back for EAA sessions.  I found SharpCap very easy to use and provided superior user interface for near realtime  image processing. I still use APT/DeepSkyStacker for long exposure astrophotography. As mentioned in an earlier post, SharpCap is great for EAA sessions and my app of choice.   

• DSO_Viewer likes this

#7 chilldaddy

chilldaddy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, OK

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

APT is great for setting up a plan for capture, but pointing Astrotoaster to a folder to look for new data seems like an attempt to function like Sharpcap.  I started with APT and Astrotoaster with my DSLR and switched to Sharpcap with a ZWO camera and have thoroughly enjoyed that combination. 

Greg

• saguaro likes this

#8 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for all your input.  I am convinced that Sharpcap Pro is the way to go for EAA.

• saguaro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics